Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dress my husband for Paris, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress my husband for Paris, please!

You can wear just about anything in Europe. As soon as you put on a baseball cap, that gives you away. Also, DO NOT WEAR sports team gear (t-shirts, caps, sweatshirts).

I see Euro-men in khakis; they just wear their pants obscenely tight, so they don't look like our khakis. I would say, go with khakis and a light button down shirt (they sometimes have nice ones at Old Navy, actually). Or V-necks with a sweater draped around the neck/back (how Francois and Sandrine is that?)

PS Francois and Sandrine are the names I make up for those oh-so French tourists whose style is... magnifique.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Actually you can wear soccer paraphanalia- but you must be able to back up your support!

Jenn

Comment

You can still do khakis but stick to the chino-flat front-straight leg kind in colors other than khaki (navy, black, green, etc.). No athletic looking sneakers, but something along the lines of Addidas and Puma is ok. Polo shirts are also very American, so stick to regular t-shirts. European wear a lot of funky prints at all ages.

I did an article on men's wear a few issues back if you need more ideas.

Comment

In other words, dress him how you think a gay guy would.

Seriously, that's why Blake Lewis strikes me as gay. He dresses exactly like my very stylish gay cousin, who could give me some great tips.

My husband would never wear fitted shirts and pants. He would say, "Nobody wants to see your man-berries."
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher

Seriously, that's why Blake Lewis strikes me as gay. He dresses exactly like my very stylish gay cousin, who could give me some great tips.

My husband would never wear fitted shirts and pants. He would say, "Nobody wants to see your man-berries."
          Heidi! You crack me up! I am happy to have a husband who doesn't wear sneakers, baseball caps, and Cubs/Bears gear. He cleans his and my shoes and leather bags.

It took awhile for me to get him to wear looser fitting slacks. The man-berry thing is alive and well for most Germans.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
            So funny yet so true.

Comment

If only we could ask this guy where he got his pants, you'd be all set . . .

http://chickencrap.com/c.php?c=231
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I'm trying to think about what SO wore when we were in Paris.... lots of bootleg dark denim with black t-shirts and grey sweaters and flip flops (or dressier black shoes).

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious
                  If only we could ask this guy where he got his pants, you'd be all set . . .

http://chickencrap.com/c.php?c=231
                  I don't have anything to add really to the fashion advice. But that picture is hysterical Julie. In high school, my friend and I would do that all the time - pretend to be taking a picture of each other but really just doing it to get a shot of someone dressed funny.

Comment

Luckily, SO and I never stood out as tourists. (I've been told I dress "European" anyway, so I didn't expect to.) We were at the Biennale in Venice (2005 and it was AWESOME) and we walked behind a family dressed in khaki shorts, mid calf white socks, athletic shoes, pastel polos, and baseball caps. Even WE made fun of them and we weren't even Italians... geesh. I think "When in Rome..." not "Dress like your Dad." :huh:

Comment

Can't really advise on what to wear but can tell a few things that scream 'american tourist'......and I really really hope no one takes offence, a lot have already been mentioned.

polo shirts, polo shirts tucked in, bulky trainers with trousers ( you know like ones you'd actualy be doing sports in rather than fashion trainers), the little bags you were around your waist for carrying money passports etc (I call them bum bags but think they have another name), bright coloured rain jackets, even worse bright coloured matching rain jackets, with matching hats. American sports tops are always going to stand out as they are specific to America,I agree with what someone else mentioned there about soccer jerseys, DS was wearing DF's sports teams jersey today and I was asked about the team....have absolutely no idea, so if wearing a teams colour know a bit about them. please take into consideration, my assessment of 'american tourists' would probably be more from older generations of 'american tourists' and not younger couples, we live 15 miles out of the city and tend to attract a lot of retired groups on buses wanting to see the beautiful scenery so a different scene completely to Paris.

I love Paris I've been 5 times and I love it and have always dressed casually when walking about seeing the sights, comfortable heels, summer skirts and dresses. Its a beautiful city, I'm sure you'll both enjoy every minute. Bon Voyage!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB_2B
                        (I call them bum bags but think they have another name), !
                        your name for them is close. they're actually called "fanny packs". I think I prefer bum bags. Yes - those scream tourist in every region ... people even wear them here when traveling. They're awful.

Comment

Tightish denim, stylish button-down shirt, black belt with black shoes. This was the daily uniform of a French guy I knew in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve
                            Originally posted by MrsB_2B
                            (I call them bum bags but think they have another name), !
                            your name for them is close. they're actually called "fanny packs". I think I prefer bum bags. Yes - those scream tourist in every region ... people even wear them here when traveling. They're awful.
                            If I said I was wearing a fanny pack here I reckon people would think it was some kind of oversized tampon IYKWIM .....

ETA: I'm sure bugs or MrsC can verify that for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X