Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The most you've ever paid for shoes is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most you've ever paid for shoes is...

What is the most expensive pair of shoes (anything from flip-flops to boots) that you own? I'm not asking about the original retail price but how much did you actually pay for them.

So what's your personal limit? Feel free to explain yourself.

I already explained!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Right now its in the 50-75 range, I would have no problem paying more in the future if they were good quality shoes and were comfortable. The good thing about good quality shoes is that you can have them re-heeled or re-soled when you wear them to death. Most of my shoes are in the $30 range but I have splurged before and don't feel bad doing so.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

For everyday/work shoes - between $20 (one sale) - 70 (not on sale).

For running shoes, I think the most I've paid is in the $140 range
        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I think I've paid almost $100 for both running shoes and hiking boots. I guess I'm willing to pay more for performance than aesthetics, and I don't demand a lot of performance out of work and casual shoes. Most of my shoe needs are met for $30-$50/pr.

I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to pay more in the future if/when our overall household income went up. I've definitely coveted some $80 casual and dress shoes before but told myself no. I think I have a certain mental price break around $100 for shoes, though. (Though I would break that for, say, a pair of good leather boots.)

:huh: Maybe five years from now I'd give a totally different answer.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I'll pay for performance and durability. I expect my $150 (or were they $200?) hiking boots to last the rest of my life.

My running shoes are in the neighborhood of $80 and I've been getting a new pair each year -- last ones were my Christmas present from DH.

Shoes just to wear? I don't really own dress shoes but I might see paying $60+ for a classy, comfortable pair. But I have to choke down the $20-something for Land's End mocs (which is what I wore to work for the past few years). Shoes just aren't a priority for me -- I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so as long as my tootsies are protected from pointy rocks I'm pretty much good to go.
            Alison

Comment

I have been known to pay big money for Taryn Rose sandals.
              They're so comfortable.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I guess I have paid more for good athletic shoes but that was when I was a serious athlete. For everyday shoes I stay in the $50-$75 range usually.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My personal limit is $150 for shoes and $350 for boots, but those have to be sale prices. As I've mentioned somewhere earlier, I don't believe in paying retail for anything (food and wine are the exception).

Comment

I've paid $85 to $100 for Keens and the like, but I'm only shelling out that kind of money for something that will treat my feet well. The most I've ever paid for dress shoes is about $65.

Tara - what are MBT's? If you have something that has fixed your knees I must know about them.

Comment

If I am going to wear them for a long time and they will treat my feet well, I have no problem spending $100. This is especially true for running shoes and I think those usually cost around $75. I think the most expensive shoes I have are boots that cost around $150-200 and they were a gift. And I loooooooove them.

By shoe fiend standards, I probably don't have a lot of shoes but this is a category where quality vs quantity definitely applies.

Comment

Quality vs. quantity is my motto with shoes too.

Yes, I am still banging my head about those Manolos.
                        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

NEW YORK - Saks Fifth Avenue says its new shoe department is so big and fancy it's getting its own ZIP code.

The quintessential Manhattan store is revamping its shoe department, and when it moves from the fourth floor to the eighth floor in August customers will be able to send mail to 10022-SHOE.

"We believe it's such a big move for us it deserves its own ZIP code," Saks spokeswoman Lesley Langsam Kennedy said Thursday. "We wanted to make it a destination."

The U.S. Postal Service said it worked with the retailer on the new ZIP code, which is just promotional. Only the last four characters, which aren't necessary when you're mailing something, are specialized, and they won't be read by sorting machines. The rest of the midtown neighborhood, which includes St. Patrick's Cathedral, shares 10022.

The new 8,500-square-foot Saks showroom at the flagship Fifth Avenue store will have more shoes, more service and more stock room capability, Langsam Kennedy said. It also will feature a VIP room for private shopping, spacious seating, refreshments and shoe repair on hand, she said.

Saks operates 54 stores in 25 states and two stores in the Middle East.
                          ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I believe in quality not quantity. I have one casusal sneakerish pair, one work oxford type pair, one sandle and one mary jane. I usually spend 100 - 150 a pair but they last more than a year and are awesome shoes. I am a big lover of Camper and Earth shoes. Comfy, good looking and durable. The last pair of campers I bought I wore for five years.
                            Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Shoes are particularly hard for me to find. I have bunions and blisters and an occasional missing toenail from running. I purchase two pairs of running shoes to rotate on every other run. I typically get one pair for Christmas and then commit a painful, secretive splurge in the Spring to prepare for the summer. The Sauconys and Nikes that I prefer run over $100 each.

For real shoes, $20 to $40, but I have to try on about 100 pairs before I decide that they are comfortable and cute. I bought a pair of low healed, thin strapped sandals for the summer at Target to wear to dressy occasions. I can never, ever, ever wear high heals again.

Kelly
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X