Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Zipper question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zipper question

Dh says there's a lot of tension on the zipper of one of my dresses. I'm thinking if the zipper had some decent industrial-strength teeth, that I could be spared from a mishap.

Any ideas? Is a new zipper expensive? Are there any other alternatives?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Zipper question

zippers come nylon or metal. Nylon is used in for non stress areas - like the back of a dress, up the side of a skirt. A nylon zipper with large teeth are used in jackets a lot, purses (sometimes) and such. And then metal zippers are used in pants (jeans), heavy coats and so forth. So for your problem: A new zipper could be put in, and a metal one could be used, if the zipper is properly put in where it is hidden. But if it's a dress that is worth keeping, you may want to have the dress seams let out some to give the stress a little room. Even if you replace the zipper there will still be puckering and pulling of the fabric. I suggest if it's a dress to keep, then have a good tailor let the seams out like 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch per seam. Sooo if it were a shift dress with two size seams, then 3/8 on each side would give you a total of 6/8 give room to breathe. The seam allowence in clothing really really changes per what the item is. Pretty complex really, I never remember what the rules are. But if you have 5/8 of a seam allowence (a norm) then you have some room to play with.

HTH

Comment

Shop around for a tailor, they can be really pricey to not so bad. I was paying $7 for hemming, $10 to have a dress totally taken in. I would expect the $12 to $15 range for a zipper to be replaced, and similar for the dress to be reseemed.

Comment

Thank you!
        Unfortunately there isn't much fabric to let out. I was surprised about this. I see your point about changing the zipper and the dress still puckering. So, the tailor I spoke to today said that she could add some extra hooks. Does this sound weird?
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Does she mean hooks to go under the zipper to reinforce it? I never heard of that, but hooks are really cheap, so go for it! To bad there isn't enough fabric to let it out. GL! And let me know if it helps

Comment

Working...
          X