Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Holiday Parties 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Parties 2007

This is a dedicated thread to the Holiday Party fashions of the season.

Here are some general guidelines:
    - Heels, heels and more heels
    - When in doubt wear black
    - If you can't afford a new outfit, get new accessories
    - For the love of God don't wear pantyhose with strappy sandals
    - Empire waists and festive cardigans do wonders for midsections

Re: Holiday Parties 2007

All of the above does not apply to nine month pregnant people! Empire waist is about the only one I can do!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

When the holiday party is at a ranch and you're being served BBQ...the above rules will be ignored.

I MAY go buy a new pair of boots to wear w/ jeans (no, not cowboy boots)

Jenn

Comment

Oooh, help me, help me!

Tonight I'm going to a party thrown by one of DH's fellow residents. The invitation said to wear "tacky Christmas sweaters" and that they will have cocktails and hor doeuvres. I found the sweater, but I don't know what to wear on bottom. Is it possible to be cute and tacky at the same time? I hope someone replies in the next 4 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by fiddlegirl
          Oooh, help me, help me!

Tonight I'm going to a party thrown by one of DH's fellow residents. The invitation said to wear "tacky Christmas sweaters" and that they will have cocktails and hor doeuvres. I found the sweater, but I don't know what to wear on bottom. Is it possible to be cute and tacky at the same time? I hope someone replies in the next 4 hours!
          We hosted one of these parties last year. We had so much fun. One of our friends went to her MIL's house and outfitted herself, her DH and another couple. She told her MIL they were going to a holiday sweater party - she left out the "ugly" holiday sweater part.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
            We hosted one of these parties last year. We had so much fun. One of our friends went to her MIL's house and outfitted herself, her DH and another couple. She told her MIL they were going to a holiday sweater party - she left out the "ugly" holiday sweater part.

That's awesome. It made me remember a girl in high school who had 25 Christmas sweaters - one for every day of December leading up to Christmas. She was sooooooooooo popular and soooooooooo cool. I wonder if she uses them now for these parties.

Comment

Here are a few questions I was asked repeatedly at our holiday Xmas party by various people. Most of the questions came from people I didn't know.
              • Have you started your holiday baking yet?
                Do you do a turkey or a ham for Christmas dinner?
                Wasn't it depressing never having a white Christmas growing up?
                Do you go to church Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
                Did you really pay $3.00 for a coffee on a regular basis in the NW?

I felt like the freak from another country...everyone wanted to pick my brain about something. On the flip side everyone was VERY nice.
              • First of all, I don't bake. This was met with .
                I haven't thought of Christmas dinner yet. (Is this weird?)
                Not having a white Christmas was no big deal. You don't miss what you never had.
                We haven't chosen a church yet and we've been here a year. I'm not really proud of that but I've been very put off by how INTENSE the churches seem here.
                The coffee question is comical. People here will pay 100$ for a Carhart cami coat, 200$ on a gun, or $50,000 on a BIG CHEVY truck, but a latte is a luxury.

...now where's my passport again?
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
                You're a good sport, Flynn. I can only imagine you handling it with grace, but I'll gladly stamp your passport if you'll stamp mine.
                That's a deal!
                Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Flynn,

Seriously though. What's for Christmas dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
                    Flynn,

Seriously though. What's for Christmas dinner?

I've never had so many conversations about COOKING in my whole life!!!
                    Flynn

Comment

Well, I like to cook. But I can't remember ever having a white Christmas. And I know if I drop 50K on a car someday it won't be a chevy.

I suppose I could bake some in the evenings since DW is on night float. But I don't really feel like it.

Before we were married, we both went on a Christmas cookie kick. We worked different shifts and it was like a makeshift commercial kitchen.

We must have made about 6 or 7 different cookies, plated them for gifts, etc. But we made batch after batch.

It was kind of crazy given the dimensions of our tiny apartment at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
                        Originally posted by Ladybug
                        You're a good sport, Flynn. I can only imagine you handling it with grace, but I'll gladly stamp your passport if you'll stamp mine.
                        That's a deal!
                        I need one of those too. Also, at what point will it be appropriate for me to get drunk at a holiday party? Should I wait until he makes partner?

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
                          Well, I like to cook. But I can't remember ever having a white Christmas. And I know if I drop 50K on a car someday it won't be a chevy.
                          AMEN!!!!!

It's AMAZING to me how much money is spent on "rigs" out here. One ton, two ton, even THREE ton for NON commercial use???!!!!

You know that scene in the real "Planet of the Apes" where the main character sees the statue of Liberty on the beach at the end and freaks a bit? That's me on a weekly basis.

But really, I LIKE it here.
                          Flynn

Comment

Flynn, so funny. One of my neighbors made a comment that we'll know we've arrived when someday we can get that Ford F250. I don't even know what it is, but I can guess. I LOVE it where we are too. Despite.

Comment

When I was growing up, the "real" farmers drove Chevy's or Fords - the "posers" drove foreign trucks - still funny to me.

I see the big dooleys here too but I'm not sure that I see them as much as you do Flynn. "Rural" MN is definitely a farming community.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X