Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Highlighting Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlighting Tips

I am highlighting my hair by myself today for the first time since high school. My hair hasn't been color treated AT ALL in the last several years, so I'm really hoping this doesn't do too much damage. When I last did this in high school, it was incredibly frusterating and painful because I did the hook and cap system. My hair is pretty thick and long so getting strands through a cap is pretty tough.

Also, I have dark brown hair and I'm shooting for caramel colored highlights. I'd prefer for them to be on the more dramatic side. I bought 3 different brands of home highlighters today:
    1. L'Oreal Frost & Design in H65 Caramel
    2. L'Oreal Feria C65 Caramel Blonde
    3. Revelon Frost & Glow Honey highlighting kit

All 3 of these are designed for medium to dark brown hair.

Do any of you DIYers have any tips or prefer one of these brands of the other?

Grr... I can't wait for attendinghood, when I can pay someone to do this properly.
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Re: Highlighting Tips

My advice is to STOP! Didn't you just say that you buy chi chi dog food in another thread? Return the dog food and go to a professional! I've had such awful luck with DIY color -- and I've never even tried highlights.

If you MUST do it, enlist a trusted friend. But really .... don't do it.

Comment

Didn't you just say that you buy chi chi dog food in another thread? Return the dog food and go to a professional!
      I don't have a dog, so I highly doubt I'm buying any dog food! You've got me confused with someone else!

I have been putting this off FOREVER, so that I can get a pro to do it, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm so scared of damaging my hair, because I used to self color all the time in high school, and when I went to get my hair highlighted for my wedding, the gay hairdresser I went to wigged out on me and said I'd done so much damage that I'd stripped my hair of any pigment. He cancelled his appointments for the rest of the day, just so he could fix my hair.

I HATE BEING BROKE!!! :bummer:

Comment

i agree w/jenn. dont do it. i have tried it, it looked BAD...then went and spent the 80 bucks so someone could clean it up.
        ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by MD/PhD Wife
          Didn't you just say that you buy chi chi dog food in another thread? Return the dog food and go to a professional!
          I don't have a dog, so I highly doubt I'm buying any dog food! You've got me confused with someone else!
          Sorry .... it was medpedspouse. My bad.

My residency gf's and I often lamented that not one of us had gone to cosmotology school. What we would have done for a reasonably priced stylist. I do feel your pain.

Comment

It's ok Jane, I think it's hilarious! I would be damned if I was feeding a dog I didn't own at the cost of my hair.

Yesterday I discovered a bank account I opened last year and completely forgot about that had $51 in it. I called my 2nd choice stylist and booked an appointment for next Friday. :wee:

ETA: Thanks everyone for your honest feedback. You probably saved me a lot of heartache.

Comment

That's wonderful!!!!!!!!! That $51 was meant for your hair. Now go return the colors you bought so you can afford a tip!!!

Comment

Yup, agree with everyone so far. I've tried home kits too and the results have varied from nothing visibly different to freaky streaks unevenly making me look like an 80s punk. Now I only stick to my trusted stylist and still drive 1.5 hours each way to see her.

Comment

You made the right choice Charlene!

The money will be TOTALLY worth it. Honestly, those at home kits are so tricky to use... more likely than not, you would've really screwed up your hair and had to pay to get it fixed anyway. Better to just do it right the first time.

Where are you getting your hair done? Are you doing a partial? What is their price?

Comment

Working...
                  X