Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage

DH is flying to FL in April for his oral boards. He'll need to bring a suit along and I'm in a dilemma as to how to pack it. It won't nicely fit (and he's not going to iron/steam it himself) into our current carry-on but I can gently pack it into a bigger suitcase he'll have to check in. Or I can use this as the perfect occassion to buy a new carry-on garment bag. In this case, do I go for the cheapest decent one (about $90ish) or for the Tumi that we're planning on upgrading all our luggage to at some point (about $250).

We can swing the $250 but not the whole set and I don't know if they won't go changing styles on us in a few months. If I'm upgrading to that kind of luggage, I'd like to have matching pieces. Hence the dilemma.

To further moot the issue, he's meeting me in TX straight from FL, so if he's taking a larger suitcase, I'll have to pack it with my own stuff as well because then I'll have to bring our small carry-on. I don't know how comfortable I feel letting my stuff go to FL without me chaperoning it.

Re: Luggage

Buy the one you want. I love Lily's rationale!!!!!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We're going to be carting suits, dresses and assorted dressy stuff around the country over the next few months so I'm going to order us a new Land's End garment bag, which, if it lasts like the other garment bag we have, will make it super inexpensive. (we have to meet in OH, so we're going to take two)

I won't EVER buy superexpensive luggage because the airlines will inevitably lose it, break it or leave it in a three inch puddle of water.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
        I won't EVER buy superexpensive luggage because the airlines will inevitably lose it, break it or leave it in a three inch puddle of water.

Jenn
        ITA!!

I used to think the more expensive the longer it would last. There is some truth to this but even my high end stuff looks bad. It really depends on what the airline does to it.

I have begun to collect Eddie Bauer pieces because they stand behind their product. If something happens to it (as in the handle has torn off), you just take it back to the store and can exchange it for another. This is a lot easier than, say, sending your luggage back to the manufacturer...which I have done ONCE and it was a PITA.

Regarding your garment bag question, I know that there are garment bags that are sized as carry-ons. Can't think of the brands but I see people with them all the time in my weekly travels. Also, you may know this - or have tried this already, but I pack all my suits in their dry cleaning bags and have never had to steam/press them upon arrival. :huh:
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Also, you may know this - or have tried this already, but I pack all my suits in their dry cleaning bags and have never had to steam/press them upon arrival.
          Yes, that's what I would do if I was packing it in a regular suitcase for him. But our carry-on suitcase is too small and I'll have to fold his suit at least 4 time to fit it.

The Tumi line I'm thinking of isn't the most expensive but I'll definitely look into LL Bean. I had no idea they have luggage. We fly several times a year, so I need something that will stand up to that for several years. Our current cheapo set ($150 for 4 expandable pieces) is coming apart at the seams after 4 years.

ETA: LL Bean garment bags cost as much as the Tumi I like but are much uglier. I feel vindicated that I'm not lusting after ridiculously expensive and unpractical luggage. Off to check if it's going to be discontinued any time soon and to find a picture of what I'm talking about.

Comment

Check this carry on garment bag

http://www.luggageonline.com/product.cf ... ct_ID=6351

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
              It's functional but ugly, the luggage equivalent of mandals.

Here's what I like
              $250

$350

$395

These are regular prices, I think I can do at least 10% better.

Comment

Your dh can hang his suit in the bathroom while he takes a shower to steam out the creases from flying.

Nordstrom Rack often carries Tumi. Do you have one nearby?
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4083873

$24.88
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Thanks Heidi, just when I finished rationalizing (with Lily's help) the purchase of the Tumi one.

Comment

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=8586182

$19.96

And, I bet you could find one at TJ Maxx or Ross or Marshall's for about that much too. Get the cheap one so that you can get the set of what you really want later.
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                        Your dh can hang his suit in the bathroom while he takes a shower to steam out the creases from flying.

Nordstrom Rack often carries Tumi. Do you have one nearby?
                        I can bet you that he'll end up in the shower with the suit or it will be in a wet puddle right outside the tub. We're talking about a man who trips over his own feet.

I've checked Marshalls and TJ Maxx and the only ones they currently have are $80, Target is $80+. On the other hand, our parents are asking what we want for our wedding anniversary (a few days before the boards).

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69

OK - you have opened my eyes. I honestly had never thought about having fashionable luggage. I do, however, always want my luggage to match which DH just does not understand my compulsion. You have introduced a whole new concept to me....one that I am pretty sure DH will much less try to comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                            Our friends that work in the airline industry encourage cheap mismatched luggage because it doen't get stolen or rummaged through as much as the nice stuff does. I guess thieves figure "nicer luggage nicer stuff" :huh: :

I have heard this but I have found that if it all matches, then I have an easier time gathering all my pieces at the airport. Even though my luggage is also not black and I always add the same type of ribbon or tag to all of them so that I can quickly identify which ones are mine.

I also found that all the same brand/color has helped me identify my bags when I have to report them missing to the airlines. BUT I fly a lot and my often brain-dead/jet lagged self can only remember one color and or one tag. Otherwise, I am stuck looking at every bag's tag to see my name.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69

OK - you have opened my eyes. I honestly had never thought about having fashionable luggage. I do, however, always want my luggage to match which DH just does not understand my compulsion. You have introduced a whole new concept to me....one that I am pretty sure DH will much less try to comprehend.
                              I just don't see why anything should be ugly. If there are good looking options for same price and quality and functionality, why go for ugly. If you look good and your suitcase doesn't, that brings down everything. It's like wearing a Chanel suit with a Nine West bag.

I don't think Tumi stand out as super expensive luggage that will have diamonds sewn into the lining. It's not LV and doesn't scream "I cost an arm and a leg!" I've done cheap luggage and it just doesn't hold up to our amount of traveling. I also want all the pieces to match at some point because it is a lot easier to pick them out at the baggage claim that way and once again, the whole set just looks good and put together. Your appliances in the kitchen match, don't they? Is it a requirement, no, but they do anyway because it looks better that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X