Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Blisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blisters

So, if I am to wear "cute" shoes at all, I need to know how to avoid blisters. And, don't tell me I need to buy $400 shoes to do it, because I don't buy that.

My new "cute" shoes. I wore them for all of 30 minutes the other day, and lo and behold....blisters. I have to look presentable this weekend, and I don't know how to do that. I watched What Not To Wear the other day, and I thought, what's wrong with what's she's wearing? How am I going to do this, if I can't even wear a pair of shoes?

Seriously. Is there some secret I don't know. My shoes have peep toes, maybe open toes. Don't really know. Do you wear toeless nude hose with them or something. Help.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Re: Blisters

First of all where did you get blisters, that will determine the course of action. Second, I swear by clear sport (action) stretch band-aids (can be any brand as long as they're clear and labeled sport/action). They'll be barely noticiable if at all and while a bit more than regular band-aids stay put much better. If you got blisters because you feet got sweaty, try sprinkling some baby powder on your feet and insoles and wearing them at home to see if that works. If you got blisters because the shoe is too rigid at the back, take it to a shoe repair place and they can pound it out for you to soften.

Another trick is to stretch new shoes at home before wearing them out. Dampen nylon knee-highs or socks and wear the shoes at home until the socks dry. The moisture will stretch the shoe to the shape of your foot.

Let me know if none of these work and I'll think up of something else.

Comment

Good tips. There are some great bandaids out there to put over blisters (when it's too late, and you've already got 'em). They're waterproof and will help dry out the blister and help you heal faster.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I always just suck it up and deal with the pain. A little blood is a small price to pay for cute shoes.

You could also try moleskin on the spots where you're being rubbed the wrong way. I use that when I break in new sneakers or go on long walks (haven't needed it in a long long time ).
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I hear you on that one, Heidi. I get blisters if I look at my feet cross-eyed. That is a slight exaggeration -- even a pair of properly fitting good quality shoes will give me blisters until I break them in. I second Vishenka's bandaid suggestion. Sometimes when I try on a pair I can just tell there is a part of the shoe that is going to cause problems and I look for something else. I try to carry bandaids with me so I can put them on as soon as I feel a hot spot starting.

I have noticed that more expensive shoes seem to be less of a problem long-term. They don't have to be in the $400 range though. It seems like a nicer shoe just gives me trouble for a few days.

It's a pain. I wish my feet weren't so particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
            So, if I am to wear "cute" shoes at all, I need to know how to avoid blisters. And, don't tell me I need to buy $400 shoes to do it, because I don't buy that.

My new "cute" shoes. I wore them for all of 30 minutes the other day, and lo and behold....blisters. I have to look presentable this weekend, and I don't know how to do that. I watched What Not To Wear the other day, and I thought, what's wrong with what's she's wearing? How am I going to do this, if I can't even wear a pair of shoes?

Seriously. Is there some secret I don't know. My shoes have peep toes, maybe open toes. Don't really know. Do you wear toeless nude hose with them or something. Help.
            When I buy new shoes I carry around clear tape and if I feel it start to rub in a certain spot I put a piece of tape over it. This works well with peep toes because you can just wrap your whole toe and if you buy the matte tape its hard to see it on your toe!

Laura

Comment

Are they synthetic? I have found that I absolutely cannot wear shoes made from synthetics (unless they're running shoes). They make my feet sweat and then swell and there's no amount of cute shoe that is worth that.

(sorry to all who feel differently- I got cellulitis from a blister on a toe from wearing a pair of 'cute shoes'. Serious red streak that went from my pinky toe, curled over the top of my foot and up to my knee. Scary.)

Jenn

Comment

The shoes are leather. I guess I will try wearing them with damp socks. I am really allergic to bandaids, and all adhesives, paper tape, etc. They will just give me more blisters. Sigh.

Maybe I am just not built for cute shoes.

Comment

I did, for the most part, finish out my wardrobe for all this interviewing I am doing with Chad over the next few months. Today at Cato I got:

3 nice blouses
                  1 camisole
                  2 pairs of pants
                  2 pairs of slingback shoes
                  1 pencil skirt
                  2 pair of earrings
                  1 necklace
                  1 bracelet

All for $155

Cato is a great store! I wish I could find the pieces online to show you, but their website isn't built for that kind of thing, and it's all store labels. I hope I look okay in all this. I think I did, but I didn't have a 360 degree mirror or Vishenka with me.

Comment

[You could also try moleskin on the spots where you're being rubbed the wrong way. I use that when I break in new sneakers or go on long walks (haven't needed it in a long long time ).
                    This is my suggestion too.

Comment

Heidi, wow that's some impressive shopping. And you remembered the pencil skirt! So you were able to find pants that fit after all. Can you take pictures in all the outfits? I'm dying to see.

Don't worry about the shoes, most will hurt somewhat on the first couple of wears. Try to break them in the house before wearing them out next time.

Once you'll be able to really indulge in shopping, you'll find labels that fit your feet better and then stick to those. At this point, I know which brands to avoid no matter how cute or cheap they are (although I do break once in a while and then regret it). Just like each clothing line has it's own cut, so do the shoes. Some run more narrow, some wider, others have a higher insole, etc. If I could only spend at least an hour (two would be better) with you in a shoe dept of Nordies or Bloomies, we could find you a perfect pair.

Comment

Lily, it could be two separate problems, either they're too shallow in the back or too big. If too big, it's a lot easier to fix than too shallow. There are these adhesive petal sets (I don't remember what they're officially called, there are several brands) that have various cushy stickies in different size for all your shoe needs. I bought mine in Loehmann's but saw them in many other places. There are heel strips in the set to fix the problem you're having. I'll try to find them online to show exactly what I mean.

Here, these are from Amazon.com and come in other colors to match shoes (black, brown, etc.)

Comment

In ballet, for pointe shoes, we wrapped our toes up in Johnson and Johnson medical tape. Just an idea, although you said that you can't use adhesives, right?
                          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                            In ballet, for pointe shoes, we wrapped our toes up in Johnson and Johnson medical tape. Just an idea, although you said that you can't use adhesives, right?
                            Right. My blisters mostly happen on my heels.

Comment

Heidi, try those petal things, they adhese to the shoe not your foot, so only the cushiony part will be touching your heel.

Comment

Working...
                              X