Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I can't win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't win

I tried to go to Sharper Image today because I have a $40 gift card there from a while ago that I have never spent, and I tried to buy a travel jewelry case. Well, they underwent Chapter somewad or other bankruptcy, and they won't accept my gift card. That seems so wrong to me! It isn't their fault, of course, it is a court order.

Of course.

So, I need something like this:

http://www.target.com/Whitney-Design-Je ... bag&page=1

that is available IN A STORE, and not online, today! Help.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Re: I can't win

Do you have a Marshalls or TJ Maxx near by? They're usually good for things like that. Or Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens-N-things.

Comment

I got a cheap little case at Claire's for a birthday party.....but kept it myself. I have seen loads of the cases at Marshall's and SteinMart.

The gift card business sounds unfair to me as well. I HATE gift cards. Such a racket. Good luck shopping!
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have used ziplock bags in the past, but necklaces always get tangled and earing pierce through the plastic, and I have lost things this way. The Sharper Image one actually had indicidual clasps to keep necklaces from tankling, and earing holes to place the earrings through.

Jerks.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
          I tried to go to Sharper Image today because I have a $40 gift card there from a while ago that I have never spent, and I tried to buy a travel jewelry case. Well, they underwent Chapter somewad or other bankruptcy, and they won't accept my gift card. That seems so wrong to me! It isn't their fault, of course, it is a court order.
          I know this is of ZERO comfort, but--FWIW--the situation in the Sharper Image case was big news in the bankruptcy law world. It is common in corporate chapter 11 cases to obtain court authority to honor prepetition (that is, pre-bankruptcy filing)-issued gift certificates. Courts regularly grant authority to honor such certificates. Doing so serves the best interests of the debtor-in-possession corporation and its creditors by maintaining good will with the public and the loyal customer base. Sharper Image, however, chose not to seek this relief. It used the bankruptcy law to renege on its gift certificate obligations (federal law allows gift certificates to be treated as unsecured loans, pushing holders of such cards to the bottom of the list in terms of distribution in a bankruptcy). I guess it made the decision that the good will of its customer base was not worth it--as of the petition date, the company had something in excess of $25MM of outstanding, unredeemed certificates.

All of this to say, what happened to you is pretty unusual. Most large companies, that really do want to successfully reorganize, try to honor their prepetition-issued gift certificates. I am so sorry you got screwed over. Completely sucks.

Comment

Working...
          X