Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

anyone bored today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone bored today...

...and want to help me?

The annual fund raiser is September 5th here -- black tie optional.

I just had a baby 5 weeks ago and am carrying 15 extra pounds. Oh goodie. I tried to tell DH I don't want to go but he is being featured and he's been very generous with helping and buying me gifts lately.

SOOOOOOOO.....the dress I bought last year which I like and didn't get to wear because DH had an emergency (one of three that year ) will likely NOT fit. Yes I have spanks and I will try it on soon. I'm trying to have a good attitude about all of this but so far it's not working. Trying on the dress will no doubt show me that yes I'm doing well 5 weeks out but I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.

Anyone want to help a crabby mom find a dress --- preferably black (it's a theme thing) that doesn't look like a Moo Moo? Shopping in town is not an option. I'd likely not find anything -- and if I did, three other women would be wearing it. I don't want to spend a ton of money as I'll hopefully not fit into this in a few more months...but $200 or less is a reasonable budget.

I'm so grumpy about this.
    I'm thinking a high waist to help me with my small but definitely THERE post baby belly?
    Shoes would help too.

No biggie if everyone is busy.
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: anyone bored today...

I'm not going to be a whole lot of help - I hate shopping. I intend to use my Isabella Oliver column wrap maternity dress for any post-delivery events I have to attend. (I also hated shopping for that dress, but some blessedly wonderful person on IMSN sent me a link to it, saving me the trouble.)

Need more info... floor length or cocktail? What kind of bust (e.g., low-dipping v-necks look awful on me)?

Here's a possibility at Nordstrom's:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2982500/0~2 ... 014150&P=1

and another, if a low neckline works for you:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2960712/0~2 ... 014150&P=3

Comment

flynn, are you talking about the dress you wore last year...when your dh didn't show up? you looked GORGEOUS!!! you really dont think you could fit into that? maybe the weight is in your chest, or legs?? i would def. check out nordstroms...but then again, i'm not the resident fashionista.

oh, and i *really* recommend doing spanx with the 'swimsuit type'/built in bra /snap in between the legs shape wear over the spanx. i pull the spanx way, way up, under the girls, then put the other thing over the spanx. uncomfortable...a tiny bit. PITA if you have to go pee...big time. looking good....pretty much. good luck finding the perfect dress!!

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
        flynn, are you talking about the dress you wore last year...when your dh didn't show up? you looked GORGEOUS!!! you really dont think you could fit into that? maybe the weight is in your chest, or legs?? i would def. check out nordstroms...but then again, i'm not the resident fashionista.

oh, and i *really* recommend doing spanx with the 'swimsuit type'/built in bra /snap in between the legs shape wear over the spanx. i pull the spanx way, way up, under the girls, then put the other thing over the spanx. uncomfortable...a tiny bit. PITA if you have to go pee...big time. looking good....pretty much. good luck finding the perfect dress!!

This is awesome. I could pretend I'm NOT carrying extra weight -- I'm just catwoman in disguise.

Gotta love Nordy's.
        I'll try on the dress I already have but likely do not fit into today since I'm not as crabby.
        Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Wow guys. Great suggestions.

I am 5'8" and wear an 8.5 or a size 9 shoes.

All that I've found is this one in black of course:

http://www.garnethill.com/jump.jsp?item ... ctID=16850

I was thinking of getting the sweater they show here in coordinates and some suede (not the ones shown but close) wedge pumps.
          Flynn

Comment

Oh and I did try on the dress I never got to wear from last year and thanks to spanks and the A line cut I DO fit into it everywhere EXCEPT through the chest.

I wish I could say I just have bigger breasts but the truth is that's only part of it. I can ALMOST zip it up....but I can't DAMN.

So it looks like I really do need to buy a dress I won't fit into in six months.

Grumble grumble.

Flynn

Comment

Very, very cute dress. Are you going with the black?

Comment

The old dress won't lend itself to being let out?? I had a dress that I didn't think had enough in the seams, but the seamstress was able to make it work and I got one more wear out of it.

You can have the new dress taken in after the weight readjusts.

I like all the dresses posted so far.....I also have more trouble walking in wedges.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

If you scroll to the bottom half of the following page you'll get tons of little black dresses:
                  http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wedding ... womens.jsp

They are shorter (as in knee to mid-calf length) and all are, of course, black.

I've had good success with JCrew's nice dresses. Their silk tricotine is awesome (stretchy, comfy, but very elegant).
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Annnnd, might I add that if you're five weeks postpartum and only carrying an extra 15 lbs I am sooooo jealous!!!

At that stage I'm usually a good 45 pounds over my normal weight! Good for you!!!
                    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                    With fingernails that shine like justice
                    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Flynn, I think the Garnet Hill dress is a bit of yawn. My vote would be for the JCrew dresses or something else. I'll look for something else.

Comment

I LOVE LOVE Jcrew's dresses. I have 3 of them, two black and one red. Too bad I can't fit them right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn
                          Oh and I did try on the dress I never got to wear from last year and thanks to spanks and the A line cut I DO fit into it everywhere EXCEPT through the chest.

I wish I could say I just have bigger breasts but the truth is that's only part of it. I can ALMOST zip it up....but I can't DAMN.

So it looks like I really do need to buy a dress I won't fit into in six months.

Grumble grumble.

Have you tried on a different bra? I only ask because last year, after buying a dress for a formal occasion, I went on this I can't believe I gained so much weight in a couple of weeks because I could not zip up the dress because of my chest. Well, I dieted, exercised and was totally out of control trying to shed some weight (not doing the healthiest things mind you) so I could fit into the dress. I tried it on again and still did not fit. Two hours later my mom came and was trying to be helpful and asked me to put it on again. This time I had on a different bra - KID YOU NOT - The dress fit fine!!!!!
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Flynn, so what did you decide? Have you picked a dress yet? I was thinking a wrap dress would be a good option, as you can wrap less tightly now and then adjust as your weight changes.

What do you think about these from Nordy's?

Comment

Those are really pretty Ms. V!

I'm scared to ask how much they cost??? They "look" expensive!

I think I like the one with the subtle plaid -- rather than the plain one.

Sooo.....?
                              Flynn

Comment

Working...
                              X