Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Skinny kid clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny kid clothes?

anyone have a source for skinny kid clothes that aren't Lands End (they're kind of expensive)?

Poor Nikolai is so skinny that the 4Ts fall off but his shorts are starting to look like he's wearing mini-shorts. I swear his legs have grown five inches this summer.

I have discovered that the 'adjustable waistband' short that most places sell are adjustable in the wrong way- like for the chubby kids to make the clothes a little bigger.

My poor dude can't keep his pants on!

Jenn

Re: Skinny kid clothes?

We had similar issues for Bryn at that age. Gap kids is probably similar price to Land's End but their girl clothes have the adjustable waist band. I'm assuming the boys would as well? Also, Gap has a skinny cut of jeans. The irony there is that they were too skinny for Bryn and we had to let the waistband all the way out so opted for the regular size and cinched up the waistband more. A lot of Hannah Andersson stuff has elastic waistbands. Also not cheap. Do you have a Hannah outlet nearby? Good consignment store?

Comment

I've never found Target slims! Are they in the boys section? He's been wearing 4Ts but maybe it's time to try him in 4s.

J.

Comment

Try the regular 4 sizes. Good idea on Old Navy. I forgot about that. I have found their stuff to be sized a little smaller. It's not such an issue for Anna.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is an option, but do you know anyone who can sew in an elastic waistband for him. My husband and both my brother and I had the skinny kid issues. Our grandmothers "rigged" our clothes. It's apparently not too difficult.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I haven't found the adjustable waists to be that way, Jenn. I get my kids jeans at Targert, for the most part, and they are both really slim. I use the button adjusters to make them fit. I have found Old Navy to run really big. I think the Cherokee brand works well. If you have a Toys R Us near you that sells kids cloths, they have some great jeans! I used to love going there because they sold odd sizes. Levis brand has some nice slims as well.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
              Originally posted by DCJenn
              I've never found Target slims! Are they in the boys section? He's been wearing 4Ts but maybe it's time to try him in 4s.

J.
              Yes, in the boys section.
              Yes, definitely give up on the 4Ts. Sometimes 4Ts can be longer than 4s - depending on the brand, so you might find he actually needs a 5.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Isn't the T cut to accommodate a diaper or a more padded tush? That might be the ticket for you. I think the Cherokee runs true to size.

Comment

I think you might do better in the regular sizes with the adjustable waist bands. DS is also v. skinny and it is an issue even now. Try finding jeans with a 31 inch inseam and a 26 inch waist. (Oh, to have this problem myself! ) I think the T sizes leave space for a potential diaper or pull up, so that might have hindered you. We have introduced the concept of the *belt* here and DS wears boxers under everything. Maybe the extra fabric in there helps?

Cross post with Nellie!
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                    I haven't found the adjustable waists to be that way, Jenn. I get my kids jeans at Targert, for the most part, and they are both really slim. I use the button adjusters to make them fit. I have found Old Navy to run really big. I think the Cherokee brand works well. If you have a Toys R Us near you that sells kids cloths, they have some great jeans! I used to love going there because they sold odd sizes. Levis brand has some nice slims as well.

Same here! I buy most of DS's shorts, jeans and pants from Target; I just use the adjustable waistband to tighten and they work pretty well! :huh:

Comment

Target is usually a good bet for us, but I would also check with The Children's Place. DD is very skinny and her BMI is considered underweight. 4T's are always too big, but when we do just 4's they work better as long as the waist is adjustable.

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                        anyone have a source for skinny kid clothes that aren't Lands End (they're kind of expensive)?

Poor Nikolai is so skinny that the 4Ts fall off but his shorts are starting to look like he's wearing mini-shorts. I swear his legs have grown five inches this summer.

I have discovered that the 'adjustable waistband' short that most places sell are adjustable in the wrong way- like for the chubby kids to make the clothes a little bigger.

My poor dude can't keep his pants on!

Jenn
                        My little guy has the exact same problem! We have had a lot of luck with Cherokee-brand "adjustable waistband" pants and shorts from Target. It's pretty much the only place we shop for his pants.

Comment

Gap & Old Navy have the adjustable waistband that you can tug in to make more snug. Since you only have 1 kid, I'd check Old Navy first. Gap is higher quality, but not worth the $$ if you can hand-it-down, IMO.

Comment

My kids are skinny and long, especially J. I get him the slims at Old Navy. Target bottoms with the adjustable tabs work well too. For either brand he has to have them button as far as they can cinch up. Children's place run wide. A can wear them all the way cinched up but she is a little bit thicker than J.

Comment

I think I must be the only person in the world to have never bought anything from Old Navy.

I will check it out over the weekend!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                              X