Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Swimsuit/Bikini Help for a Chubby Gal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimsuit/Bikini Help for a Chubby Gal

Since all the summer swim stuff is on sale right now, I figure I'll start looking for something for our trip in February.

Should I spare everyone the ghastly sight, and just wear a swimsuit? Or should I just say "the hell with it," and wear a bikini.

Are there any styles that you're more comfortable in than others??? I'm not really excited about boy shorts nor by the Borat look (although maybe a swimsuit that shows a bit more skin would be good?)...
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Swimsuit/Bikini Help for a Chubby Gal

My advice is to find something you're comfortable in, because it will definitely show in your confidence.

I have a pear shape figure, so I will wear a bikini top, usually halter with a swim skirt. It tends to camoflage all the junk in the trunk.

What's your least favorite area of your body that you'd want to get more coverage and what's the area you'd like to showcase?
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife
      What's your least favorite area of your body that you'd want to get more coverage and what's the area you'd like to showcase?
      Least favorite: belly

The area I'd like to showcase: nothing really. Dh says I should show off my boobs more ( )... And if I do, he thinks it'll distract from the belly.

Comment

I don't know if I'd be much help on the actual swimsuit style - although when I was trying to cover my belly I got a two-piece that had a low-cut neckline, a band under the bbs, and a more flowing belly panel, with regular-cut bottoms. And I usually get a colorful, matching mesh wrap/skirt. My bikini days, sadly, are over, thanks to pregnancy & my loose-skinned, stretch-marked belly. I wish I had worn more bikinis when I could - so if you can get away with it, I say go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by alison
          Dh says I should show off my boobs more ( )... And if I do, he thinks it'll distract from the belly.

You are too funny! Or rather, your DH is.

I, too, have the belly issue and swear by tankinis. Some have some serious support to make that area look toned. Bottom line, you will have to unfortunately try many, many suits before finding "the one". I found an awesome suit a couple of years ago - halter top tankini with skirted bottom. I thought this was the magical combination for me. Well, I have tried others like it and they do not compare in fit. So, I had to try several before I found something I was comfortable in.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I have a halter top tankini suit that I like because the top is LONG and doesn't leave a gap between the two pieces. That would be bad (for me). My friend has a halter top one piece (from J Crew) and it is really cute and somewhat belly-minimizing.

Comment

I could either cover up the belly entirely, which would make it look like I'm covering something... I'm a small girl, with a short torso. I may as well wear jeans and a t-shirt! I'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable, that's for sure!

Or, I could bare everything, and leave people wondering if it really is flab that they're seeing, or just a whole lotta skin.

Comment

Or, I could try losing some weight.

Comment

Um yeah... I think we're built differently. If I wore a racer, I'd feel like I was choking. Really. I have a hard time with sports bras, because I have not even a semblance of a neck. It feels like my breasts are in my face.

Comment

I say flaunt what you`ve got. You`re only young once! And padding or no padding, youthfulness is attractive. I only wish I hadn`t feared the cellulite on my legs or the paleness of my tummy so much the last few times I had the opportunity to hang out in swimwear. Now I`ve got saggy stretchmark tummy that looks like an alien ate my bellybutton, making bikinis REALLY out of the question! :P
                    Alison

Comment

What on earth is this doing on the Jcrew site and why would I wear it?

Comment

I also like tankinis, I feel like they cover a lot but can still be cute and attractive.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I, myself, like girdlewear. Grid-iron support systems designed by NASA to suck every last inch of flab it is covering in and up, AKA the Miraclesuit.

http://www.cyberswim.com/jump.jsp?itemI ... =HOME_PAGE
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Since you have a shorter torso as do I, I would opt for the tankini with a lower cut bottom. I would also find something that would showcase the boobs, especially since you haven't had kiddos yet. Boy do I wish I had the pre BF boobs back.
                            Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I second Miraclesuit. It sucks the tummy in, pushes the girls in, and pulls the a** nice and tight. Check them out! We've also ordered twice from Cybersuit (although Macys and other dept stores now carry them), and I like working with them.
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X