Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Luxury item quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luxury item quiz

Hypothetically, if I had the following items to give away, and you had to choose one of them to use, which would you choose? You cannot sell the item or give it away. It must be used for yourself personally. In the case of the TV or dinner, that can be shared (TV in your home), but it must be used by you as well.

Cuisinart Stand Mixer and a Wusthof Classic Santoku and Chef's knife

Christian Louboutin pumps in your size

Dining gift certifcate (dinner for two) for Per Se or a similarly chic and expensive restaurant in your neck of the woods if you prefer not to have to travel to NYC.

One first-class plane ticket to any destination in the Continental U.S. (if you are a U.S. citizen). No Black out dates.

Spa gift certificate for the works - Hair, facial, massage, mani, pedi, etc.

52" LCD TV.

Vote, and then tell us why. No cop-outs on this is what I would really want...
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Re: Luxury item quiz

Alright, I choose the TV because the one we have just isn't very good. It sometimes makes this high-pitched whining sound and it isn't even flat-screen. Although I don't tend to watch much tv myself, it is always on, given that the gf would experience withdrawal symptoms if I even considered trying to turn it off. I know how much she'd love a 52-inch tv so it'd be the obvious choice.

The mixer and knives.. We don't really have a passion for cooking and already have a functional mixer. So no.

Although the Louboutins might fit me, they probably wouldn't suit me. I don't know, I'm just not a pumps kind of guy. I'm sure they'd make my calves look positively stunning, however.

My not being a U.S. citizen apparently disqualifies me from getting the plane ticket. Besides, I wouldn't really want just one - if I'm travelling, I'll want the gf to come along. Otherwise there wouldn't be much fun in it.

I'm sure I'd enjoy the spa treatment more than a guy is supposed to, but it doesn't seem like it'd represent quite as much lasting value as the tv would.

Comment

Originally posted by McPants
      Besides, I wouldn't really want just one - if I'm travelling, I'll want the gf to come along. Otherwise there wouldn't be much fun in it.

I'm sure I'd enjoy the spa treatment more than a guy is supposed to, but it doesn't seem like it'd represent quite as much lasting value as the tv would.
      I chose the plane ticket, although I thought of the same issue with just having one. I'd end having to buy a second one for DH. The spa treatment is a close second although the TV does have more of a practical sense to it. Only thing is we already have a few TV's, so we don't really need one and I would never buy the spa treatment for myself so it would be a true indulgence!
      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I chose the spa....I love spa treatments!! We already have a really nice flat screen and kitchen aid mixer. I hate flying and not really big on fancy shoes. We have also been to the French Laundry...well worth it and that was a very close second pick.
        Danielle
        Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

I said the mixer and knives even though I have a mixer I like, those just appeal to me. Otherwise, I would go with the spa choice.

Comment

I chose the mixer and knives!!!! I really want a new mixer since I burned my motor on that damn pasta dough last year.....also I've been craving a Santoku knife for a while now! Can I trade the chef's knife for a sitter/nanny so that I can actually have some peace when I cook!
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I chose the plane ticket, though it's not so much a gift as a discount; if I was flying first class, I'd want it to be to somewhere nice and with DH. Spa treatment would probably be next in line. Trade the TV in for a really nice 1080p projector, and then you'd be talking.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I picked dinner because I could and would use it, enjoy it, and cherish the memory. And it's no muss no fuss. I think everyone can remember one or two spectacular meals they've had in their life--I wouldn't mind having another one.

I was sorely tempted by the TV, as that is on the short list of things to be replaced first when we finish training (along with our bed and vacuum cleaner), but 52 inches sounds huge, I'm not sure that would fit in the TV spot in our current living room.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

TV. Our TV in the bedroom in an as old as our marriage, floor model, and heavy as heck. It has done us well. We just got a new bed, so we are dreaming of a flat screen mounted on the wall above a fireplace. We can dream right?

I am not a foodie, nor a shoe person. One plane ticket would be lovely to help me run away somewhere, but I really don't have childcare. The spa is a close second, but it only lasts one day. The TV has longevity. I already have a good mixer and knives (which need sharpening).
                  Needs

Comment

I would choose the mixer because I'm cooking and baking more now that I'm staying home.

The TV was very tempting though.
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I chose the plane ticket, knowing that I would buy another one as well for DH. We love to see new places and we have been most places that are a reasonable drive from here. In order to branch out, we are going to need to start flying more.

The tv was tempting, especially because our new house has three fireplaces with spots for flat screen tvs above them......

I am so not a luxury shoe person......I don't think I am enough of a foodie for the restaurant deal.....knives and mixer, ehhhh, I have what I need......spa days are nice, but honestly, I go about as often as I want to go (about once a year) already.

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I don't really use the mixer and knives I have to capacity. I'm so not a shoes or spa girl, not a big fan of traveling these days, and am completely content with our ~30" CRT for watching broadcast TV and DVDs, LOL. So I picked the dinner.
                        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious
                          I picked dinner because I could and would use it, enjoy it, and cherish the memory. And it's no muss no fuss. I think everyone can remember one or two spectacular meals they've had in their life--I wouldn't mind having another one.

Great point!

Comment

Spa. I need a spa day.
                            Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                            Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

We already have a 52" TV, a Cuisinart stand mixer and nice knives, plane tickets that need to be used ASAP, and we go out to eat often enough to satisfy me. The pumps are nice, but I wouldn't wear them more than once or twice a year.

But... I have never yet had a complete spa treatment. At 2 weeks postpartum, anything that makes me feel slightly beautiful is a big draw!

Comment

Working...
                              X