Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

J.Jill to change ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.Jill to change ownership

This is from the Albuquerque business journal, but it's in the news other places...

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/ ... ily33.html

Clothing retailer The Talbots Inc. plans to sell its J. Jill brand in the face of double-digit sales declines in its fiscal 2008 third quarter.

The Hingham, Mass.-based company (NYSE: TLB) said it would continue to focus on reenergizing its Talbots brand, and that selling J. Jill will help it accomplish that goal in light of the declining economy. Talbots, during the third quarter, completed the closure of its Talbots Kids, Men’s and United Kingdom stores in order to focus on Talbots and its collections for women.

“We .... feel it is a strong move to focus solely on executing the successful turnaround of our core brand,” Talbots President and CEO Trudy Sullivan said in a statement.

Talbots reported $357 million in total sales for the quarter ending Nov. 1, compared to $414 million in sales over the same period last year. Retail store sales reached $303 million, down from $345 million in the fiscal 2007 third quarter.

The company said comparable store sales for its Talbots brand dropped 13.9 percent over the quarter, and 10.9 percent for the year to date.

Sullivan blamed the sales declines on the economic crisis, but said customers have been responding positively to Talbots’ reorganization.

Talbots said it would issue further details about selling J. Jill when its third quarter operating results come out on Nov. 25. Otherwise, no further updates will be discussed until the brand is sold.

Talbots Inc operates 876 stores in 47 states, the District of Columbia and Canada. Of that number, 282 locations, including one in Albuquerque, carry the J. Jill brand name.

Boston Business Journal
    It's so sad. J.Jill has been my favorite clothing store for a long time. I hope their clothes don't change much, but I guess I think they will.

Re: J.Jill to change ownership

They haven't changed since Talbots bought them less the 2 years ago so I'll be surprised if they change once their sold.

They have a very interesting customer base as a whole I'm not sure why they don't do better.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine
      They haven't changed since Talbots bought them less the 2 years ago so I'll be surprised if they change once their sold.

They have a very interesting customer base as a whole I'm not sure why they don't do better.
      I didn't know they had changed hands so recently. I suppose that's comforting in a way. They used to be catalog-based only, so maybe that's why they've grown more slowly. :huh:

Comment

I think they did better when they were catalog only, for example the store here doesn't carry the shoes they carry in their catalog. I'm not a huge shopper of them but my girlfriend that is was very disappointed that the store doesn't carry as much and went back to the catalog.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I love J Jill too, but this last year the sales were so good it's really the first time I bought from them. I got an amazing black top this summer for $15 that was originally $70. Also some of the pants wear well and I've been getting so many 25% off sale price e-mails that I got some pants for a good deal (I'm petite so finding a good fit is very hard), and some Christmas gifts too. I love their stuff, wouldn't were all of it, but like the earthy colors and fabrics and the classic lines. I was told non of the stores carry the shoes anymore, I asked too.

Comment

Working...
          X