Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

SLRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to shoot with a 50mm 1.8 almost exclusively. It has nice bokeh! Prime lenses are the best. Now I shoot mostly with an 85mm 1.8, but I would LOVE to have a 50mm 1.2.

SoonerTexan, where did you get yours? I think I paid around $80-100 for my Canon 50mm, but now I'm looking for a Nikkor and the lowest price I've found is about $120. $50 was a great deal!
    Last edited by Makai; 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I had a hard time choosing between the 85mm and the 50mm...

I lied...I went back on Amazon and I actually paid $85 for it...I guess it just seemed cheap compared to the other lenses I was considering at the time...

I think it would be a great lens to use for pictures of kids, though
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        Any of you guys have a "nifty 50" 50mm fixed length lens. I got one for $50ish, and it really is wonderful for great close up shots and portraits--especially indoors. It's amazing how much a new lens can make a difference--I only use the kit lens as a last resort
        I have Canon's nifty 50 -- it was my first prime lens purchase and I remember how freakin excited I was to have a lens that could open up all the way to 1.8!! It really does open up a whole new world.

I have since become very attached to my 85 1.8. That baby is... well... it's like buttah . I just love it. It's also a fun lens for portraits if you've got enough space to work with (I'm not sure what the crop factor is on the Nikon D40 but on my Canon 40d the 85 turns into something closer to 135).
        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
          I have Canon's nifty 50 -- it was my first prime lens purchase and I remember how freakin excited I was to have a lens that could open up all the way to 1.8!! It really does open up a whole new world.

I have since become very attached to my 85 1.8. That baby is... well... it's like buttah . I just love it. It's also a fun lens for portraits if you've got enough space to work with (I'm not sure what the crop factor is on the Nikon D40 but on my Canon 40d the 85 turns into something closer to 135).
          Hmm.... I have A LOT to learn about lenses and all the features!
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3 View Post
            Hmm.... I have A LOT to learn about lenses and all the features!
            Beware of equipment envy!

I used to have it baaaaaad -- I'd see all these amazing lenses and camera bodies and flashes and modifiers and think "Oh if only..." Finally I realized I was so worried about getting the "right" lenses and the "right" bodies that I spent very little time actually taking a daggum picture with the equipment I did have!

It's good to know what your equipment can do and what the little numbers on your lenses mean, but don't worry about learning what EVERY lens out there can do -- photography equipment is expensive, so sometimes ignorance is bliss .
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I have a D40 and D50 (bought used), 18-55mm lens, 55-200, 50 1.8, remote/tripod, and speedlight. The speedlight makes a huge difference in our indoor pictures. And the tripod/remote - yeah, had to buy those b/c DH is never home and I'm never in any pictures with my kids.

My next goal is to learn photoshop. For some reason even though I have a tutorial book, it's hard to wrap my head around that program!

Comment

I used to have it baaaaaad -- I'd see all these amazing lenses and camera bodies and flashes and modifiers and think "Oh if only..."
                Umm, I spent last night researching how much my 3 month old D300 would go for. I saw a video made with a Canon 5D Mark II and.....wowwowwow....I've been daydreaming all day about buying one.

mrsmcms, Check out www.mcpactions.com. Jodi has a lot of great, easy to follow Photoshop video tutorials on her blog and she also teaches online workshops.

Comment

I used to have it baaaaaad -- I'd see all these amazing lenses and camera bodies and flashes and modifiers and think "Oh if only..." Finally I realized I was so worried about getting the "right" lenses and the "right" bodies that I spent very little time actually taking a daggum picture with the equipment I did have!

It's good to know what your equipment can do and what the little numbers on your lenses mean, but don't worry about learning what EVERY lens out there can do -- photography equipment is expensive, so sometimes ignorance is bliss .
                  First I have to figure out what features my camera has and doesn't have before I can realize what I am missing out on... as of right now I am just using the automatic setting! So much to learn!
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Working...
                  X