Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

iPhone replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone replacement

DH waded across a river this weekend with his iPhone in his pocket. I went to the Apple store last night to ask about obtaining a replacement, and the kid who helped me was really vague about whether I'd be able to get a replacement at the contract price ($99) or whether I'd have to pay the $400 non-contract price. I was unaware that to actually make such a purchase I had to have an appointment at the Genius Bar, and they would not work me in, so I have to go back again tonight at my designated appointment time and hopefully get this sorted out. Just curious what to expect. I know there are a lot of apple fans here-- does anyone know whether I'm going to have to pay full price, or if there is a way around it? We're about 12 months into the contract.

I would have just dried it out.....and then gone in with it "not working". I'm an unethical bastard, though. I've had them replace my phone twice in the last three years for malfunctions. (Two different phones, each replaced once.) The first was my fault - I dropped it often. I got a lecture when he noticed the scratches on the casing - but he gave me a new phone. The second time was a legit issue. Anyway.....this lawsuit came around for you just in time:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ne_damage.html
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I've had mine replaced twice. The first time it was free, the second time I paid 200....which sucked, but I can't live without my iPhone. (Both times it was because of being dropped...though I didn't tell them that. First time was in person at the Genius Bar, second was via mail.)
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Angie, thanks, that's interesting to know about the lawsuit. I imagine our Liquid Submersion Indicator would be blinging frantically. Three days later it still sounds swishy. Unfortunately, I think we're just outside the 1 year warranty period regardless.

The article mentions the cost for "out of warranty service" is $199 (with no contract extension)-- I guess that's what you had to pay the second time, Michele? That totally sucks, but it's better than $400. I wonder if we agreed to extend the contract another two years if we could get a better discount.

Comment

I am anxious to hear to things work out because I am considering giving up the BBerry for an Iphone...reluctantly.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
            I would have just dried it out.....and then gone in with it "not working". I'm an unethical bastard, though. I've had them replace my phone twice in the last three years for malfunctions. (Two different phones, each replaced once.) The first was my fault - I dropped it often. I got a lecture when he noticed the scratches on the casing - but he gave me a new phone. The second time was a legit issue. Anyway.....this lawsuit came around for you just in time:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ne_damage.html
            DITTO!! We just got two new phones (not iPhone) on our T-Mobile plan and 4 days later, I spilled a big cup of coffee on it. Thankfully my phone was fine but my husbands phone had died...I waited it out until his dried up and then played the "i dunno what happened to the phone?!?" They replaced it for free. If you tell them it fell in the water it may hurt your cost...
            Danielle
            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

(I think this is still true for newer models...)
              Look in the headphones hole (outlet?). If it's silver; go in and shrug. If it's red, the jig is up.

Try drying it out in rice, though. DH dropped his in the toilet and finally, after a week, it started working again.
              Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

We were 32 days outside the 1 year warranty period, so free replacement was not an option in any case. The new device was $199. It was not an option to extend the contract for a lower price. I think it really stinks that the replacement only comes with a 90 day warranty and no option to extend. All in all, I was not very happy with the customer service, but we were stupid and unlucky, so I don't suppose it's fair to expect much more. On the bright side, if I get this thing FedEx'ed to DH tomorrow, we might actually get to talk on Thursday. He's on an away rotation, and not being able to call is getting old.

Comment

Being very nice, and also very upset that this happened may help. In our experience, the geniuses have some discretion as to how things were handled. I went in crying about losing my pics after MIL dropped my laptop (and failed to tell me until it was too late to recover anything), and they replaced all affected parts for free, even though only some of it should have been covered. The guy who helped us just really took pity on me.
                  -Deb
                  Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                    Being very nice, and also very upset that this happened may help. In our experience, the geniuses have some discretion as to how things were handled. I went in crying about losing my pics after MIL dropped my laptop (and failed to tell me until it was too late to recover anything), and they replaced all affected parts for free, even though only some of it should have been covered. The guy who helped us just really took pity on me.
                    Dang, I should have turned on the tears!

Comment

You can also usually purchase the extended warranty from Apple. Much cheaper than a new device. We always get it on our Apple purchases. You can buy it online for an existing device -- but I think you have to still be under warranty. Worth checking out. (And yes....tears and confusion are something I think customer service people see all the time. Sometimes....it's trickery, though. )
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                      X