Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sunscreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunscreens

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the Environmental Working Group has a list of best and worst sunscreens (as far as hazardous chemicals, etc).

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/bes...rt-sunscreens/
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

So random...my 6th grade sister just had to do a report on "What would the world be like without..." and she chose sunscreen. And on her own, she came to the conclusion that the world would be better without it (let's see how the teacher takes that...)

I'm curious to what other people think about this? Her reasoning was the lack of UVB ray (I think) protection, false sense of security it gives (leading people to stay out in the sun too long), limiting of Vitamin D production, and the chemicals you are rubbing into your skin. Any derm input?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Not a derm but I can see how it would be better and worse without it. It is already 90 degrees here today and its not even noon, my choices without sunscreen would be to keep the kids cooped up inside or dress them in long sleeves and pants to go out. Not going to do either because I'll go nuts. I can definitely see how people would forget to reapply and have the false sense of security though.

We use the Vanicream listed at the very bottom of the first column and A has never had a sunburn.
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Since we are black, we can go out without risking burning unless we are at the beach all day. I know of people who will not let their kids go out in the summer without sunscreen and a hat. When it's really hot out I do try and put it on my three-year-old. We use Jason, which had a great rating on the site. With our thirteen-month-old, I am trying to be diligent as he is pretty pale and has gray eyes and blonde hair so will probably burn more easily. All though I must say he is getting a pretty sweet tan. I get very tanned and usually skip the sunscreen.

Comment

I'm a redhead with a history of deep scarring sunburns and a family with a long, long history of skin cancer (all of them, basal cell to melanoma) I'm in the sun a LOT so I'm in sunscreen, hat, gloves, etc and I still get burned and freckle. I've got a wicked Farmer's Tan from all of the yard work we've been doing. Generally I wear 60 on my face and arms and 30 on my legs. I make the dude wear 60.

Crisada- melanoma is apparently having a surge in the darker complected community (all races) since you can be outside without burning. I was just reading about it in one of my magazines (More maybe?)

Jenn

Comment

We are definitely a sunscreen family (except for DH, who is convinced that he repels the sun or something). My kiddos go out in the morning without anything for their Vitamin D fix, then we come in for breakfast, and slather up before going out for the day. I used to escape with just sunscreen on my face when we are out and about, but with each pregnancy, I have become more susceptible to sunburn. Now, I'm putting on the same stuff the kids get (we use Vanicream here, too). We're all about hats, as well.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I think sunscreen is vitally important for skin cancer alone, I don't usually put sunscreen on my arms, so I get a lot of my sun there, but I have already had skin cancer on my face, and it runs in my family. Also, sunscreen can help with aging signs.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We use the Aveeno spray all summer. Our kids love it and have never had an allergic reaction or sunburn. Of course the site listed it as one to avoid but whatever. Some of the stuff listed as recommended is a fortune, there is NO WAY the average person to could afford to use it.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

So of course the doctor rec sun block we use for E's skin has a lower rating - Blue Lizard. It seemed to work well as a sun block but I guess has some cancer causing chemicals...ugh. Although I am black, I still use sunscreen but tend not to reapply multiple times a day. I make sure that E and DH do because E is very pale in comparison.
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                  X