Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Luggage for interview season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage for interview season

I'm curious what you recommend for the interview season. I'm interested in a carry-on that would hold a suit without creating too many wrinkles.

Many garment bags I've looked at are actually bigger than a standard carry-on and they would end up folded over again in order to fit into the overhead compartment. I'd rather not count on a nice flight attendant to hang it in the closet. Luckily, I have a handheld steamer, though I'm not sure just how well it works.

If I don't go the garment bag route, the carry-on I'd most like is the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible. Numerous reviews mention a suit fits in well, and I especially like the fact that it can hold a laptop and a ton more things. The reason I like this is because whenever DH has a standard size carry-on and his backpack for the laptop, they invariably make him check one of the items. Ugh!

I know it looks like I have it all figured out, but it's all on paper, and I'm looking for real life experiences. What worked? What didn't work?

While I'm at it, what do students take with them to the actual interview? I've read that many of them use a leather portfolio to hold a few papers. Is there one you would recommend? Is there anything else I should consider buying for the interviews? Thanks.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

I would buy as little as possible unless it's something that will be used again after interview season. Some type of folder that holds a pen would be helpful, but most places give out an information packet in a lightweight folder, anyway. I think DH received 6 or 7 folders, a couple of which were VERY nice. Depends on the program, though.

I wouldn't worry about the luggage. Go with whatever you think works best for your needs. Remember, wrinkles probably aren't that big of a deal since every hotel has a iron and ironing board available.

Comment

Avoid-checking-a-bag-at-all-costs,if-they-lose-your-luggage-you-won't-need-an-iron!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Spot check the iron before using it in any hotel however. I have come across a few rusted steam irons and you do not want to discover that on a white interview shirt 20 mins before you leave. DH would carry a small packed travel iron of his own (from Bed, Bath & Beyond I think) to avoid this problem.

He used a suit carrier that fit in carry-on. He bought it at Men's Warehouse I believe - it fit the suit, pair of shoes & some accessories and rolls up the suit. Good luck!
        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I bought DH a tri-fold garment bag to take on his interviews last year, and it ended up working out really well. (Like this one, but I got a much cheaper version on Overstock.com.) DH liked the tri-fold bag because it was small enough to fit under the seat (it was a tight fit, but we made it work), so he was able to also bring a larger "carry on" bag to go in the overheard bin. His suit did end up wrinkled sometimes, but it wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed with the hotel iron.

Comment

Oh, we weren't planning on checking a bag. No no no! I've heard plenty of horror stories. That's why I was looking at getting an actual carry-on that would also hold a laptop as opposed to just a garment bag for his suit. That way he wouldn't have to decide between his suit and his other items if the airline people decide to be asses and not allow a carry-on AND a personal item. Unfortunately, they sometimes make you gate check a carry-on on some small planes, but that seems safer to me.

Maybe I'm dense here, but what's the advantage of a tri-fold garment bag as opposed to simply folding the garment bag that the suit came in and putting that in your luggage? The only thing I can think of is that you might get slightly more wrinkles by putting the suit in the luggage.
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by MissCrabette View Post
              Maybe I'm dense here, but what's the advantage of a tri-fold garment bag as opposed to simply folding the garment bag that the suit came in and putting that in your luggage?
              For us, the benefit was that DH's tri-fold was small enough that it never got counted as his carry-on luggage in the 16 flights he took last year. (It almost looked like a laptop bag when he slung it over his shoulder, so it was technically his "personal item" and he was also able to take on a carry-on bag.) I have seen people with garment bags have to check their rolling luggage, which was what we were hoping to avoid.

As far as just folding up a garment bag and putting it inside your regular luggage, I'm sure that would work just fine. There might be some extra wrinkles, but it's probably nothing that an iron couldn't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                I have seen people with garment bags have to check their rolling luggage, which was what we were hoping to avoid.
                THIS is what worries me. Most of the garment bags I've seen online are too big to be counted as even a carry-on, let alone a personal item. I'd hate for DH to have to choose between his suit and his other items in the carry-on if they make him check one of them.

The problem he's been having is that the airline people see him try to board with a standard size carry-on (really, I've measured) and a backpack for his laptop (mostly empty, but on the larger size) and they tell him he has to check one of the items. They then make him try to fit the carry-on into the stupid little metal box and it never quite fits, in spite of the measurements being right. It's not a duffel bag so he can't cram it in, so... off it goes to be gate checked if he's lucky. If he's not lucky, this happens when he first checks in. That has happened to him on several occasions and it's kind of annoying. Between buying him a smaller backpack and buying him the super duper well-reviewed carry-on that can hold a laptop AND converts into a backpack... I'll take the latter option.

But I think I'm overthinking this and I'm afraid there's an easier solution to all this.
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

DH had this and a backpack for his med school interviews. He really liked it and never had to check.

http://www.skyroll.com/garment-bag/

Comment

Thanks, Crystal. I had heard so many great things about that bag, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route, with it being $150. Unfortunately it's out of stock, so it looks like I might have to check out eBay. Hopefully I'll find it for a bit less. It really does look NICE.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

I think we found it at Mens Warehouse on sale for $90? Def. check ebay

Comment

Working...
                      X