Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Teachers' Gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers' Gifts?

So, it's that time of year again. The daycare included a note in the newsletter saying that the teachers can accept gifts valued less than $50 but cannot accept gift cards in any amount. Since BabyK is a December birthday, he'll also be graduating from his class just after Christmas. I was going to write a letter to his teachers (there are 2) thanking them for all the loving care and guidance they've given him -- and me -- this year. But I'd like to send a gift too. I asked the other parents what they send and every one of them said that they give baskets of soaps and lotions. So, baskets of soaps and lotions are out. I was thinking of maybe getting something for their classroom if not for them individually. What do you recommend?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Starbucks gift baskets? Sam's Club always has some really cute ones. Prices vary from around $10 to around $40, depending on the size and you can get either tea or coffee ones. I think some have both.

Comment

I can't believe they can't accept gift cards. My mom (elementary music teacher) loves getting gift cards.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing about gift cards, that is what our class is going in on for A's teachers.

I like the Starbucks basket if you know they drink coffee, or a combination of something for them and something for their room. Maybe some nice chocolates and something for their room??
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

They are not allowed to accept giftcards.

Comment

wow - no gift cards! that's harsh. We'd be up the creek - we have no gift imagination, and always resort to Target cards.
            As a teacher, I always appreciate chocolate. Pen and pencil sets are the worst. Gloves, umbrellas, and gift cards are good.
            Enabler of DW and 5 kids
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

Would they accept a gift certificate to Scholastic Books or somewhere they can purchase things for the room? Maybe ask them to make a wishlist of things they would like to have for the classroom?
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123 View Post
                Would they accept a gift certificate to Scholastic Books or somewhere they can purchase things for the room? Maybe ask them to make a wishlist of things they would like to have for the classroom?
                I like this idea. Why no gift cards? That seems very odd to me. You know all those teachers have closets of lotion they re-gift every year.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

One year I gave all the kids' teachers a case of copy paper, a dozen Dry-Erase pens, and a cute giant mug filled with pencils. They loved it. Came in handy when the district cut their photocopy budget, too.

Comment

I bake cookies for our teachers. I think
                    No gift cards IS harsh! Good luck

(our teachers are getting cookies and a $20 gift cert to A local gift shop)
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I made a donation to The Greater Good toward a teacher's salary in Darfur in her name and found a scarf on sale at The Literacy Site that I bought. I'll place the certificate re: the teacher's salary on top of the scarf.

I'm tired of giving stupid gifts "just because" so I thought this was a better way to go.

Jenn

Comment

I agree with the others who say get something useful for her classroom. When teaching, gift cards where my fav, so that stinks they have that rule, but the next best thing were useful items. When you are in the classroom look around and see whats missing. Does she need magnets, more books, flashcards. You might ask her, what things she always finds herself spending her money on for the classroom. Last year I was always buying magnets and pencils. One parent gave me a huge thing of pencils and I thought that was the best gift ever. Its amazing what little things make a big difference.
                        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I broke down and spent more than I intended to on toys for the classroom. I figure that since BabyK is also graduating, there are 2 teachers that have been super, and he's probably broken his fair share of toys there this year, it was appropriate.

Comment

I am sure that will be really appreciated.
                            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

No, I understood they weren't allowed to accept them, I just wondered why???
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X