Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hawaii clothing HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Forgiving" fashion places: Boden, J.Jill, Coldwater Creek, Athleta and Title Nine.....

I was actually blown away that their was significant vanity sizing at Anthropologie. Because there is NO WAY that I'm a size 8. But I love them for thinking it....
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Land's End? You can try their stuff on at some Sear's stores.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I think we're about the same body type, same bra size. It is really hard to find clothes that fit. My first tip - stay away from Maxi dresses. You'll just look fat, and all your curves will disappear. If I were you, I'd really consider calling a personal shopper at Nordstrom. It costs nothing, and while it is a little awkward, it simplifies things a lot to have someone basically bring clothes to you, have you say, "I like this, don't like that" and bring more in the styles and sizes that suit you. You can also give them an idea of price range. I'd definitely go there and invest in a great bra, making sure it fits right. A good bra can make all the difference. I also have luck at Loft for tops, Gap for pants/shorts. I also LOVE miraclesuit (I get mine on cyberswim.com - they have a large selection). Only the DD styles will work, but they're really flattering and will fit your chest! Most importantly, be patient with yourself. It's so frustrating for me to shop because of my chest size. I was especially crushed that blouses seem to be making a comeback - they don't even go on unless they're WAY too big. Good luck and have fun with it!
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
          If I were you, I'd really consider calling a personal shopper at Nordstrom. It costs nothing, and while it is a little awkward, it simplifies things a lot to have someone basically bring clothes to you...
          THIS! Personal shoppers are amazing! They know a lot about what works with different body types, and obviously, they are familiar with the inventory. They can cut down on mucho frustration.
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I agree! I had a personal shopper at Nordstrom who helped me out tremendously! She was really a cheerleader in disguise and gave me clothes to try on that I would have initially said no way to. They're my go-to clothes now, and I always feel grrrrreat in them, and even receive compliments. That would NEVER happen in a wardrobe that I pick out for myself!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
              I'd definitely go there and invest in a great bra, making sure it fits right. A good bra can make all the difference.
              I've done this several times over the course of my weight loss. I've got about 5 bras (a fortune) that work right now, plus a good, sturdy sports bra (I'm pretty sure there's kevlar in it). My strap size keeps going down (started out at a 46"), but cup is going up.

Comment

My strap size keeps going down (started out at a 46"), but cup is going up.
                That sounds like an absolutely awesome clothing issue!
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. DH and I are going to Maui during the 1st week of April and after a ridiculous winter (we're currently 38" over our average for snowfall) I'm more than ready for cute, warm-weather duds.

I really like Macy's online selection, but our local store's inventory is definitely geared to a more geriatric clientele. My biggest issue is that sizing between brands is so inconsistent, my sizes vary drastically. I HAVE to try everything on. Which means my choices are pretty limited unless I really get into the elastic waistbanded polyester Alfred Dunner sets. Uh, no thanks.

Comment

I second (third?) the suggention to make an appt with personal shopper at Nordstrom. I think you're at a point that requires a lot of trying on and venturing into different cuts than you're used to.

Comment

I didn't even know there was a personal shopper service. I totally need this...

No advice jenn about clothes, but you can't really go too casual in Hawaii. Have an awesome time!!!
                      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I second Boden! I really love the clothing I have gotten from there.
                        I wanna go!!
                        Brandi
                        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I just need to type out that I WILL BE RETURNING A FAIR TO HEFTY AMOUNT OF WHAT I'VE JUST ORDERED. Holy smokes.

That said, I'm excited and hopeful about what I've ordered. I've shopped at Land's End, Athleta and Title Nine/Bounce mostly. I know many of you suggested a Nordies personal shopper, and if/when I need something fancy/higher end, I'll do that. As it is, I'm looking for mostly causal, kind of sporty clothing that I will wear all summer. Title Nine has a great selection of dresses, and, if the one I posted from Bounce is any indication, I should have a fair amount to choose from. I ordered several swim suits from Land's End, and the skort I found and liked was from Athleta, so I ordered another color as well as a flowy top to be worn w/leggings.

Thanks for all the suggestions -- I can't possibly tell dh how much I've just spent b/c he'll be so shocked he won't hear the "more than half of it is going back" part ...

Comment

Working...
                          X