Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Laptop repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop repair

So the strap on my laptop bag broke in the parking lot at work this morning, causing my poor laptop to suffer a crack right along where the screen attaches to the keyboard... like the hinge part? I don't exactly know how to explain it, but it appears that my computer still works (I'm not using it, but it turns on), but I can't imagine it will continue to work long with the crack in it. My hope is that its more of an external/physical break, and that the insides of my computer are still okay.

The laptop is a dell, I was kinda hoping that I could maybe send it in and have them take everything and put it into a new laptop shell? Is this even possible? I know its not going to be cheap to repair, but I'd rather not buy a whole new one. We really can't afford this expense, but I cannot see myself going without my laptop!

Any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Wow, that really stinks. I would probably just call Dell and see what they have to say or go to one of those places that rebuilds computers and see if they can help you out.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

It's completely possible to put the motherboard in a new shell but it depends if that is cost feasible. Usually it's the other way around and someone fries their motherboard by spilling liquid on it and they have to replace it. It will cost around $300-400 to send it into Dell to do it for you. If you still have a warranty on it then that may reduce the cost and be feasible. However, if you don't have the warranty then you could put the cost of repair towards the purchase of a new or used laptop. Call Dell to be sure on the repair prices as I'm making a guesstimate.

Also consider how old the laptop is. If it's close to two years old then it's not going to be worth it either because they are designed to be replaced after that time as technology rapidly advances every 18 months. The good news is since it is still working go ahead and start backing up everything you don't want to lose.
      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
      X