Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

party dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• party dress

We've got a "black tie optional" event to go to 10/28, and I've got nothing to wear. My "pretty dress" that I fell in love w/2 years ago has already been altered twice to make it smaller, and is now really big on me again (yay - but boo for needing another dress). I've considered seeing if it can be altered AGAIN, but it's got many layers and gathers and will likely cost $50 or more to alter, and I'm not sure it can be done.

I hit Nordstrom Rack today and can fit a standard 14 for most designers (yay me! the aforementioned "pretty dress" was a woman's 20!). I just want a party dress, something that can hopefully be worn again, nothing terribly expensive ($100 is my high end) b/c I'm still losing weight.

Boobs are still big, so strapless is not an option. Legs are looking pretty good if I do say so myself. I'm lucky to be an all-over-proportionally heavy person, so I don't have a gigantic belly w/twig legs or anything like that.

DH will be wearing a suit. I don't want to look like a bridesmaid, but I don't want to look like I just came from the office, either.

HELP!

What about the homecoming dresses? Isn't it time for that soon?
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Yea you!!

I've got nothing in the fashion advice department. (Count yourself lucky I haven't tried to wing it here...)

I'd say Nordstrums and Dillards (they had a large collection of party dress things when I went with my daughter for homecoming) if you've got them. If you want discount, I've seen fancy shmancy dresses at Off 5th Saks outlets many times.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Three words.

"little black dress"

Have fun!
        PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Might be out of your price range, but everything at shopbop.com is 20% today and tomorrow. They have free shipping both ways. It's too good of a deal to not share! I may or may not be a bop addict.

ETA: enter code INTHEFAMILY20 at checkout.

I just bought a cute party dress at Macy's yesterday. It was only $79, and they seemed to have a bunch of dresses in that price range.
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

thanks CP. I'll look. I ordered a dress from Banana and a couple dresses from Nordstrom to try.

Comment

LOVE the second dress and the very last one.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                LOVE the second dress and the very last one.
                Me too!
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I love you. Have I mentioned that lately? I dig the zappos one, and the last Rack one you posted. WTF? I went through that website at LEAST 6 times today, and didn't find it. I'm a little concerned about how short it is, though. I think I'll order the zappos dress to round out the others I've ordered to try on, and then haul my cookies INTO Nordies to see if I can find either of the Tahairi's.

CP - I liked shopbop, but their XL is listed as a 10/12, and I'm not quite there yet.

Comment

Have you tried White House Black Market? It is my favorite go to dress store. I'm the type that needs to actually go to the store to see and try it on. There stuff is relatively moderate priced and made well. I need something that deals with my anxiety areas and most party dresses are too booby for me. LOL.
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                    X