Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wedding Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bed Bath and Beyond was the BEST for returns. They seriously took anything back, and paid us the full price in cash (even though I am sure many people used coupons).

The best thing we did was NOT register for china. We got a lot of crap for this, but we lived in a one bedroom apartment when first married and my parents stored most of our stuff until we moved for residency. Although you are at the end of training so you may actually use china... but for us I knew we wouldn't be having elegant dinners in our apartment, not to mention I wouldn't want to move it. Perhaps after training I will want china, but I figure by then (we'll have been married at least 10 years), I'll have different taste.

Although I know with moving on the horizon the last thing you want to do is register for STUFF, but I still suggest doing it, and err on the side of over-registering. I say this because the couples I know that didn't register or didn't register for much, got a lot of collectibles, trinkets and things that were cute but impractical! And if you register at Bed Bath and Beyond you can always return stuff for cash!
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
      The best thing we did was NOT register for china. We got a lot of crap for this, but we lived in a one bedroom apartment when first married and my parents stored most of our stuff until we moved for residency. Although you are at the end of training so you may actually use china... but for us I knew we wouldn't be having elegant dinners in our apartment, not to mention I wouldn't want to move it. Perhaps after training I will want china, but I figure by then (we'll have been married at least 10 years), I'll have different taste.
      I feel this way about china too. I can't see us using it for a very long time still. At the same time, I can't see myself going out to buy it for myself if a need/desire eventually arises. But I think it is out anyway. I'll just try to find everyday dishes that would work fine if we had a dinner party. (having more than four matching plates would be drastic improvement... assuming we have eventually have a table that fits more than four people!).

The serving platters are a good call also - I suppose it would be nice not to serve food in gladware for the rest of my life We had a teeny tiny kitchen in our old apartment and also threw away a ton of our stuff before we moved (I actually regret it now, but at the time I just wanted to get the move over with ASAP and just started tossing everything..oops!). So we do actually need (well not need, but it would be nice to have) many of the kitchen essentials that people our age usually don't need to worry about. We also don't have many picture frames anymore (at one time I actually did - most likely they are somewhere in my parents' basement too). So I will definitely put some of those on the list as well.

Although I know with moving on the horizon the last thing you want to do is register for STUFF, but I still suggest doing it, and err on the side of over-registering. I say this because the couples I know that didn't register or didn't register for much, got a lot of collectibles, trinkets and things that were cute but impractical! And if you register at Bed Bath and Beyond you can always return stuff for cash!
      This is such a good point! DF was trying to convince me not to register for much, because he really just wants cash (or outdoor/sporting goods - I was a little surprised by since he does most of the cooking). I'm glad I can tell him that it's a bad idea now. I guess I am kind of lazy and usually just send a check if there isn't anything left on the registry, so I didn't think about trinkets/collectibles . I'm hoping that our next move is almost the last and/or paid for (at least partially) by someone other than me, so maybe having a bunch of stuff won't be a huge issue.

This was very helpful, thank you all!!

Comment

We got almost everything off our registries vs. cash. Definitely register! I only got two "weird" items I didn't know what to do with--it was awesome!
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We had a money tree at a shower my grandma and her church friends threw me. They literally pinned money on a ficus tree!

I know it's not registering and not relevant, but it was fun. We used the money tree $ towards our Cutco knives. Seriously amazing knives. Still work great after 12 years and only one sharpening!!!
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I want a money tree.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I know. It was awesome.

Then
              At our wedding reception dhs family (Hispanic) has a tradition of a wedding dance where ppl dance with the bride and each person gives you a dollar (or more). I can't remember what it was called. Anyway, that was fun... Awkward but yeah, I'll dance with you for cash, even though I was about 6" taller than most of the men there lol!!
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Ahhhhhh yes, the dollar dance. (at least that's what it's called around here). So awkward, but totally an easy way to cash in!
                I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                  My Kitchenaid mixer is by far the wedding gift that I use the most. And I love it...probably too much.
                  This. I love mine, so glad I have it!

We also get a lot of use out of the sheets, towels, knives, food processor, and Dyson vacuum.

I also agree with what everyone has said about Bed, Bath & Beyond. I was in there constantly returning stuff I didn't have receipts for and things I don't think were bought at their store, but they carried and I got lots of store credit to use. I still think we have about $125 in store credit to use.

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                  I really wanted a small destination type wedding, but that is not all what we are having!! (my mom is very opinionated!!).
                  Seriously, tell her to stuff it, that "you and your DF will consider her opinions" as YOU guys are the ones getting married, NOT her. I'm sorry if I sound crass or unfeeling about your particular situation, but I also had an opinionated mother who turned into a manipulative, batshit-crazy momzilla. The results of her behavior during the wedding planning process are still being felt 1.5 years later. Just don't want anyone to go through what my DH and I did during what is supposed to be a happy time in your relationship.
                  Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
                    Seriously, tell her to stuff it, that "you and your DF will consider her opinions" as YOU guys are the ones getting married, NOT her. I'm sorry if I sound crass or unfeeling about your particular situation, but I also had an opinionated mother who turned into a manipulative, batshit-crazy momzilla. The results of her behavior during the wedding planning process are still being felt 1.5 years later. Just don't want anyone to go through what my DH and I did during what is supposed to be a happy time in your relationship.
                    Ha! I'm sorry you had a similar mom situation!!

I think I've finally made peace with her whole momzilla attitude. She isn't super opinionated about every detail - we had a very hard time getting over the location and guest count, but once she won those battles she backed off a little. It upset me a lot at first, especially b/c I didn't have time to plan her big huge dream wedding when we were first engaged. Thanks to the super long engagement (actually that also seemed to annoy her), my life situation has totally changed. Now that I am not very busy (and often a little bummed b/c of all the rejection involved in this whole job search thing), I am actually kind of enjoying the planning process. I still think it is a ridiculous waste of money - but it isn't mine to do anything else with... so I guess I'm ok with her wasting it on a big party.

Comment

Oh and DF was actually on her side of the big wedding argument... that didn't help me much, lol

Comment

Working...
                      X