Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kindle

What does it do? Is it just an e-reader? Are there service fees like a phone? Can you brouse the internet with it? What's the difference between kindle touch and kindle fire? Do I want one?

I know. I'm Amish when it comes to tech toys. DrK has been asking if I want one. I guess someone turned him on to it for Valentines Day. He's horrible at buying gifts so I don't want to discourage him but I truly don't know what a Kindle is or if I'd like it. I hate for him to spend a lot of money and I already told him that we can get a coffee maker as a gift to each other but he keeps asking about the kindle. (I asked for a freezer for my birthday/hannukah but we didn't get it because I couldn't bear to spend the money.) I've read about the kindle on Amazon and I'm still sort of lost. Please educate me.
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

All kindles except the kindle fire are true e-readers, meaning they have the matte screens and black-and-white graphics that are creating using actual bits of ink (e-ink display is what you want to look up), not a typical backlit screen. There are no service fees, and you CAN browse the internet (if you have the wifi/whispernet turned on), but it's b+w and page changes are a little slow, so it's not really great for browsing. Battery life is amazing, because it only uses it to CHANGE the page; displaying a page takes zero energy (because the ink is already in place).

the fire is basically a tablet computer like an ipad, just using amazon's version of android, rather than iOS like the iPad does, and with different features.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I love the Kindle Fire! I do read books on it, but mostly watch video, play games, go on fb or imsn. It's great for entertaining little ones too!
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

It is just a reader but I love it because its highly portable. How it compares to the nook, etc. I couldn't tell you but I like it because I can read with one hand. If I'm on a plane and R falls asleep on my lap, for example, I can read with one hand.

The Kindle Fire is much more expensive but if that is what he's talking about its more like an ipad.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Kindle Touch (cheapest one). E has it. I like the Kindle Keyboard (M has it). I think it was $140ish? As a family, we have the Kindle Fire ($199). My fav. I can read books, watch movies/tv, not too heavy, fits in my purse, etc.
          Veronica

Comment

Love my kindle! I am a stay up all night and pay for it the next day reading kind of fool. Therefore, I really appreciate the ereader - no backlight kind. Since I can transfer books I am reading to my IPad, I did this once because I forgot my reading light on a 5 hr car ride. I was fine but the next day my eyes were fatigued. It doesn't bother DH to read his books on the tablet but I also do not think he reads for as long as I tend to sometimes. I am a no back light fan plus I hate finger prints on my screen - like on the I Pad.
            ETA- love that I can hold it and flip pages with one hand. As much as I love books, I can't do that. Also, regardless of the type you get, it is nice to be able to purchase a book as soon as you finish one OR carry around a bunch of books in one single device.
            Last edited by medpedspouse; 01-29-2012, 09:25 AM.
            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Does Kindle fire have apps and stuff like an iPad? Are you limited to downloading only Amazon content?

Still wondering if I shouldn't tell him I want to hang some shelving in the kids' playroom or get a zoo pass instead. I know he doesn't consider that stuff to be "gifts" because they are practical household stuff and not luxuries for individual enjoyment. If we had lots of disposable income, I'd probably think that way too. But I feel like I'm getting gifts when I buy new shoes or go out for lunch. Still, I don't know if I should discourage his way of thinking.

Comment

I think he's on the Kindle kick because I'm pretty much glued to my blackberry. And because he teased me when we were dating for always having a book or magazine in my purse.

Comment

As far as the gift giving, I can only say tell him how you feel. DH finally got it one birthday when I told him his gift was beautiful but caused me anxiety since I handle all the bills/money issue. Even though we are out of training, he still is very good about not buying me anything that may screw up our budget.
                  Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                    Does Kindle fire have apps and stuff like an iPad? Are you limited to downloading only Amazon content?

Still wondering if I shouldn't tell him I want to hang some shelving in the kids' playroom or get a zoo pass instead. I know he doesn't consider that stuff to be "gifts" because they are practical household stuff and not luxuries for individual enjoyment. If we had lots of disposable income, I'd probably think that way too. But I feel like I'm getting gifts when I buy new shoes or go out for lunch. Still, I don't know if I should discourage his way of thinking.
                    Let him get you a gift. I think it becomes confusing to guys when we want them to be better gift givers and then when they try we complain that it's not what we wanted, or not what they should have bought, I am sure it is demoralizing. Certainly, if their is a budget I always tell dh, "please stay under $X so we don't throw off our budget"
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

If you are looking for something to use as an e-reader, I would see if blackberry has a kindle or nook app. I have both on my phone and love it. I use the kindle at home and often find myself reading on my phone while waiting for DS in the pick up line after school. I like that I can sync between the devices. My dad got a nook color last year, and I want to see if he can "lend" titles the way you can with the kindle.
                      Kris

Comment

Yes, the Fire has all the same apps you can get in the android market on any android phone (which is a crap ton). They also have a wide selection of magazine subscriptions you can purchase from amazon to be delivered straight to your kindle as soon as the newest issue arrives, which, once delivered to your device, you can then read anywhere at any time, no wi-fi connection needed. So its like having a ton of books, magazines and games in your purse for a fraction of the space.
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Regarding the point that Pollyanna made, let him go for it if it fits into your budget and it's something you think you would like. My first reaction was that he's doing the typical male thing: going for the big, expensive, and impressive gift. There's nothing wrong with that if it's something you want, but there are also lots of other less flashy ways to go about it if money is tight.

And let me throw in a vote for the Nook if you haven't considered it. Then again, Kindle is probably so much easier to use with all the content there is on Amazon.
                          Cristina
                          IM PGY-2

Comment

Oh you can also download pdfs and other document types and read it on the kindle too - DH did this a few times when he was studying and wanted to read some pdf files while sitting on the couch watching tv but didn't want the big laptop open.

P.s. in the name of full disclosure, all of my responses are being sent from my kindle fire
                            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

My 4 year old is doing puzzles on the Kindle Fire while I use the laptop.
                              Veronica

Comment

Working...
                              X