Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Orthotic Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthotic Shoes

Hi, I am Jen, and I wear orthotic shoes. It's taken roughly 30 years to get my orthopedic problems figured out - and they all stem from my flat feet, ligamentous laxity, and an accessory navicular bone. Basically, if I don't wear my shoes (New Balance, cute for gym shoes) with my inserts, I'm in quite a bit of pain with my ankle or sciatic. It's now 100 degrees outside, and while my peers are wearing cute dresses and skirts with sandals, I'm wearing knee-length khaki shorts (I HATE my thighs) and t-shirts with my gym shoes. Needless to say, it's getting pretty depressing. I am even going to change into my orthotic shoes after my cousin's wedding ceremony because it's just not worth the pain.

The only other fix would be surgery, and 6 weeks of no weight-bearing plus 6 weeks partial weight is not something I can do right now

Where can I go to get shoes with removable soles for my inserts? Do they make anything that would be even a little cute?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Big hugs, my fellow wonky-footed sister. My issues are different, but I have the same problem finding cute-ish shoes that allow room for my inserts. I've resorted to buying them a size too big. That doesn't really work with sandals, though.

Comment

Huge hugs!!! That was me. I actually had the surgery (Kidner procedure) on one foot. And it was amazing! It took about 3-4 months after I was out of the walking boot and everything for me to be glad I did it. But it'll be 10 years in August and I wear sandals!!

I can't wear flip flops. But if it has a back /ankle strap, I'm ok. I posted about a year back about the podiatrist (recommended by the orthopod in the same practice) recommending the brand Naot to me. I have two pairs and love them. I don't wear my orthotic inserts anymore either.

I found that wearing the inserts in sneakers (what I had done for the 9 y post surgery and the 5 years before surgery) was making my feet hurt MORE! I only had the surgery on one foot. They told me that inserts aren't always recommended anymore. But when I got them in high school they made a HUGE improvement in my comfort. I had them reshaped in college And then had the surgery on the foot that was in constant pain right before 2nd year vet school.

The most recent podiatrist also told me not be barefoot. Even in the house. That part is hard for me to do, but I notice less cramping/stiffness in my feet the next morning when I've been in shoes all day. I also wear healed boots with out too much pain. I apparently also have some meniscal damage (knees) that can be exacerbated by too much walking in heels (I think it's more because of my tight hip flexors though than the heels.). And if my hip flexors stay too tight, I get really bad sciatic pain - down both legs to my calves/ankles. If I have bad posture when babywearing, it makes the sciatic pain worse too.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

The other thing I was considering looking into (before stopping wearing my inserts) was seeing if they custom made the soles of shoes. If I could get my foot molded by the podiatrist (like they did to make the inserts) and then have that mold sent to a shoe company. I always wondered why I couldn't just have straps and a bottom put on my inserts.

But seriously, giving up my inserts was great for me. Even the non surgery foot.
        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
          But seriously, giving up my inserts was great for me. Even the non surgery foot.
          I just got my first inserts last summer, and they have made all the difference in my daily life The problem is now that things are somewhat realigned, the deformity is more noticeable to me (before I was always in some pain/discomfort. Now I'm either pain-free or sore). I'll check out the brand you mentioned - I will need something for dressier occasions in the winter, although my beloved cowboy boots are actually very nice to my feet.
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yeah. I found I actually do pretty well in a medium heel. It fakes the arch that my feet are lacking. . Wearing heels though is supposed to tilt your pelvis but with tight hip flexors and weak lower abs, it puts strain on my piriformis muscles which then irritate my sciatic nerves.

Ecco is another brand that I've had luck with.
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

So I went back in, and our people order from Clogs and Aetrex. I ordered 2 pairs from Aetrex - a pair of sandals that can accommodate my orthotics and a pair of Mary Janes. I'm excited to see how they work out. Retail, they run about 100-125 each.
              Jen

Comment

Working...
              X