Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help Me Find a Similar Jacket (or tell me to just give up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Find a Similar Jacket (or tell me to just give up)

Long story short...I went shopping with a personal shopper. It's taken me all week to even admit this to anyone (other than DH who suggested I do it). DH and I love to shop together, but we have three kids and he works a lot, so we just don't have time. I've been wearing Gap t-shirts, tanks, and shorts because I've lost weight (yay) and I have three kids, so it goes with my lifestyle. However, I really need to look put together once in a while and Nordstrom had a great offer for $50 off for shopping with a personal shopper. I'll just say I got a little carried away. There were a couple of awesome booties that will go great with jeans that I bought and will keep (they're more expensive than any other shoes I own, but I'm a payless shopper more or less), some NYDJ that are really cute, a bunch of tops, and two jackets...and some jewelry....and a handbag. I just got caught up in the moment. Long story short, the booties, jeans, and a few of the tops are staying, but a bunch is going back. It's just not me to spend so much on clothing.

There just one little piece that I LOVE, but can't justify the cost. Anyone have a source for a same/similar look with a very lesser price tag? It's beautiful, but the cost makes me completely ill.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/lafayett...esultback=2416
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Well how much is it exactly? It won't let me see the price. I'm no help because I would probably buy it if it was something I liked enough to wear for several seasons. But I also still wear classic coats I have from college ( that I can just now get into again!)

ETA congrats on the weight loss! I'd love to hear how you did it. Juicing?! JK.
    Last edited by Chrisada; 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM.

Comment

$529 (down from $798 for the anniversary sale - I think I thought about how much I was saving, not how much is cost). I can't spend that much on a jacket. I would consider a couple hundred a splurge, but doable for something I love, love. I just don't spend money like that on myself.

The weight loss is still going. I actually do think I was able to do it because of juicing, but DH and I I did Medifast together. He has lost way more than i have. I did the juice fast for three days first and it really helped shut off some of my hunger cues.
      -Deb

Comment

Yay, I'm so excited for your weight loss. You love love love this jacket right? Will you wear it for years to come? What does your DH say about it? See, I'm totally no help!! I've spent more on that for both of the purses I use.

Comment

DH is out of town (probably part of the reason for the crazy shopping day). I'm not returning anything until he gets back. Only you guys would get this - I tried to do a fashion show for my 6 year old and have her help decide what should go back. She basically just wanted to play with the jewelry. I need my husband to come home! Maybe I should wear it around the house for. While tomorrow...
          -Deb

Comment

Keep it! Jackets are so versatile! Keep it!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I can't see the link anymore but I vaguely remember it being an asymmetrical leather jacket. This isn't the same color or the same buttery texture...but it's an asymmetrical jacket at the right price:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Neiman...prod132890172/

Comment

Break the total price down into the cost per wear. I can't see the link, but if it's a classic piece that you'll wear frequently it may actually be cheaper per wear than a trendy, cheapo jacket from Target that you'd only wear 5 or 6 times.

Comment

I am absolutely NO help here because about this same time last year, DH set me up with a personal shopper at Nordies and I spent WAY too much $. I am embarrassed to say how much. In my defense, DH was there the whole time and got to watch the fashion show. He's the shopper in the family and he was a bad influence on me that day, LOL. I say keep the jacket (and everything else you got). You deserve it!
                  Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

How fun! I want to do that someday, too! I'm also in the "keep it" camp as long as its not hurting your budget for the month or anything.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

So, I put it on this morning and ordered the NM jacket (thank you for finding the similar item!). If I didn't still have a two year old, I might have kept it, but at this point, the very expensive and comfortable shoes that I found fit more into my lifestyle than the jacket that I'll have to say, "Don't touch Mommy!" every time I wear it. You are all such a good/bad influence on me! You have reaffirmed my decision that any of the things I absolutely love and can wear regularly will be staying.
                      -Deb

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                        You have reaffirmed my decision that any of the things I absolutely love and can wear regularly will be staying.
                        Good! If you'll get a lot of use out of it, it's better to splurge on a well-made item than buy a cheap knockoff that won't last two seasons.
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Tell me more about what shopping with the personal shopper was like. Some department stores offer that as a free service and I've always been curious.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            Tell me more about what shopping with the personal shopper was like. Some department stores offer that as a free service and I've always been curious.
                            They offer it for free because they want you to spend $$$ on their clothes.

Meh, it wasn't for me. I detest shopping but DH loves it. He scheduled the personal shopper for me as an anniversary present last summer. The woman was very nice, and she picked out some great items, but it was SO spendy and honestly, I just don't like being fussed over. And she kept calling DH "Dr.", which he does not like when he's out of the hospital.
                            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

I can't see the jacket. The link didn't work for me. Darn! I had a personal shopper help me at Nordstrom soon after dd was born, and I had a hard time hiding my mid-section. It was great! There was no shame in it, and she understood exactly what I was looking for, where she could expand my horizons a bit as far as colors and styles, and how to actually save me money in the long run with tops that I could dress up or down with jeans/slacks/dressy shoes. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X