Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Family "Established" signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family "Established" signs

So, DH really wanted to get one of those wooden signs that says "LastName Family, Est. XXXX"

My question is (because I've seen it both ways) should the year be when we got married or when A was born? I think the former, but I've also seen the latter...
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

I think the year you got married. I want one too!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I agree with the date you were married! I love those!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Sorry, but I dislike the idea of sign altogether. I'd say your family is a continuation of the ones that came before rather than something new, so putting a date for either seems odd. If forced to pick, I would go with the latter. Prior to that you're just a couple, albeit with the potential to be a family.

Comment

Date you were married.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Married!
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Are you all saying the family label applies retroactively? Surely no one would refer to a newly married couple as a family unless they had a kid.

Greyhounds, do you and your DH disagree about this, or have you not discussed it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                Are you all saying the family label applies retroactively? Surely no one would refer to a newly married couple as a family unless they had a kid.

Greyhounds, do you and your DH disagree about this, or have you not discussed it yet?
                We are both unsure what the "proper" thing to do it, but are leaning towards when we married We both are kind of of the opinion that we became a family, in the sense that we are our own entity, separate from our parents, when we got married. I agree that our family is constantly evolving and changing, but just like a company or a product, there was a day when we established ourselves as a unit.

To you first question, though, whose family would you consider the married couple a part of? I would say that I would not address a card to a married couple as "The X Family"...

Hmmmmm
                Jen
                Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I say when you are married. I have a few friends that consider themselves a family even though they have no children, either do to infertility or choosing not to have children.
                  Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

When you got married. I have this thought -we have many friends who will never have children. I still consider those couples a family.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

This is on my Christmas list this year. I have a copper and a wood one from Etsy bookmarked on Pinterest. We will use the year of our marriage.

As to the other question I address formal invites to childless couples as "the Smiths" or "mr and mrs smith" but only because "family" implies kids as far as invites go. I consider a couple a family as soon as they are married.
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

When we married, I had "business cards" printed with our contact info that said "Dr. & Mrs. K, est. March 2, 2008" (our wedding date). Each time we've moved, I've had them reprinted with the new address and the same established date.
                        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Wow, I'd be totally irritated if someone told me DH and I weren't a family just because we don't have kids! Kids are not a necessary ingredient of every family! I also find it annoying when people ask when we're going to "start a family" -- um, we already have. This IS our family. Maybe we'll expand it someday...

Point being, I'd say your wedding date.
                          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Establishing a family, to me, would be wedding date, too. But, mileage varies. Do whatever works best or makes the most sense for you.

Comment

Yep, two people is plenty enough for a family. I vote wedding date.
                              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                              X