Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Interview luggage and tie racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview luggage and tie racks

I need to consult the IMSN Brain Trust

DH wants a tie rack for his Christmas. He has a lot of ties and the little hanger I got him doesn't hold them all. And apparently requires too much effort to hang them up, so we just have ties all over our closet. I'm thinking about getting him something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Tie-R...words=tie+rack

Anyone have something that works really well for them? Surely there are multiple people on here with men drowning in ties.

Also, we threw out our luggage in the Great Bug Scare, but his was a beat up carry on size anyway. He needs something that would be good for interview season--something that can hold a suit would be a plus. Anything to recommend?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

As far as ties, if he doesn't hang them, he won't hang them. Given other stories you've related, he sounds a lot like my DH. Find some way that YOU want to keep the ties Also, make sure he has a tie pin/tie tack/etc. DH had a tie brush all over someone with scabies...time for the incinerator!

We have a Samsonite garment bag that DH really liked, but it was not able to be carried on. For a lot of interviews, he wore his suit on the plane and hung it up when he go to the hotel. He usually ended up just bringing his backpack instead of a suitcase, since he couldn't afford to have his luggage lost/delayed.

Good luck!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

My DH found a way to pack his suit in a carry on so that it doesn't wrinkle at all. I'll have him summarize when I see him. He takes a small travel iron just-in-case, but hasn't had to use it on the suits as of yet, just the shirt for the dinners upon occasion. He has hard-case carry-ons that work well.
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

For my money, this tie rack looks simpler and higher-quality (and has MUCH better reviews): http://www.amazon.com/Organize-It-Al...ef=pd_sim_sg_9
        And I agree with GRU - if it's "too hard" to hang them up now, it doesn't matter what kind of rack you get, so get something that makes sense for YOU.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

The one Dh has is a wooden hanger with little metal hooks that fold out to put the tie on. Often I end up putting his ties away but it works well & is a good space saver. I'll take a pic of it later when I'm home or see if I can find it online. I 'think' I got it from the container store.
          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

DH does his ties like this - http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...AAAAAIc9Pw.jpg

Not sure why you would need a locking box though! I don't know when he stopped hanging them and why - but this is much neater.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Dh has a rotating one similar to the one posted. It holds a ton of ties and keeps his ties very nice. He has had it for about 10 years and its still going strong.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

DH got a carry-on, hard-sided bag for interviews. It fit all his stuff but barely because his suits are so long and wide at the shoulders (assuming that problem doesn't apply to J). I'll check the brand but definitely, definitely would recommend a carry-on. As for wearing the suit on the plane, DH would have immediately spilled something on himself.

Wrinkle-free dress shirts, the hard-sided carry-on and a small steamer were the best interview season purchases EVER. The steamer got used between every interview and the suits looked great! We just got the highest cheap one on Amazon and used distilled water in that thing and it worked great!!
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Can you link to the steamer?
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                    My DH found a way to pack his suit in a carry on so that it doesn't wrinkle at all
                    Yes. You want to pack a suit in a carry-on and wear a suit on the plane. That way, you have two suits and no risk of list luggage, and you are not paying checked baggage fees.

Comment

^^^ This is what DH did.
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Ugh GRUs I ended up at a google page about crusted scabies...ughhhhh. And then DH told me on of their patients has bad scabies but he has to put on protective gear to see him. Whew.

I looked at his tie rack and it actually isn't that bad (bad wife), just hard to hang ties on and cramped. The rotator or the box should work.

Comment

Will he wear them after residency? If not, don't bother. DH hasn't worn a single tie since fellowship.

Comment

I have learned to never google anything that DH is grossed out by I would rather be ignorant!

DD brings up a good point. DH was a tie-wearing machine in med school. Now, he only needs to wear one when he's on certain rotations, and only on clinic days.
                            Jen

Comment

Russ wears ties daily even though he's an Ophtho and tie wearing has been linked with glaucoma. I don't know what rack he uses but he has a really nice tie tack that I had custom made when we were dating.
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X