Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Spray tan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray tan

So, DH and I have a gala to go to the first weekend in April (sputter, cough, gag). I am NOT looking forward to it, but it's a huge 100 year celebration of his hospital, and the trauma director "saved" us a seat at their table (at $200 for each ticket out of our pockets, but I digress). DH hates these things too, but we must go to this one.

In true Oregonian fashion, I am a nauseating shade of pasty white. My legs and arms look disgusting, and it's not likely I'll be catching any sun in the next three weeks. I don't do indoor tanning anymore (did it WAY too much in college before I knew better), so I am considering a spray tan. I don't want to be dark, but I want to put a nice glow on my skin so that I don't scare anyone with my pastiness.

For those of you that have done spray tans before, can you tell me some of the do's and dont's? Such as, if the gala is on a Saturday night, should I get the tan 1 day before, 2 days before, etc.? Any other tips? I am wearing a strapless black gown.

TIA!
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

I would call whatever salon you think you'll go to and get their advice. Maybe even get an exfoliating treatment from them first? I only got a spray tan *once* and it was in a booth. (This was years ago, and I think most places have someone spray you) It was awful, and I was orange!! I think it was Mystic Tan.

Comment

I would just go pasty white. Really.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I had airbrush done before a wedding in December and I love loved it!! They were running a special and it was $25! Definitely do it Thursday evening and wait until Friday morning to shower. It'll look crazy when you first wake up Friday but after you shower you will be totally stoked
        sigpic
        buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          Seriously. Especially in your city. NO ONE (outside of returning snow birds) has a tan in that state this time of year.

Comment

Yes this. And don't think of your skin as pasty white, think of it as smooth porcelain. Has a much nicer connotation doesn't it?
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Ditto. The only fake tan I've done was that Jergens lotion that gives you a little glow. I'm half Latina so it looked fine. I don't know that I would try it for this. You don't have a lot of time for it to wear off it looks dumb.
              Veronica
              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I vote go your porcelain self. I worked hard to get pale during my goth days!

Comment

Yeah, it's not an "I-have-pure-milk-white-skin-like-Jessica-Chastain." I wish I had skin like hers!

Comment

If you do it, definitely exfoliate before!

Comment

Tan or not, I want pics so I can live vicariously through you.

Whatever you decide will be fabulous and you will rock it!

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post

Whatever you decide will be fabulous and you will rock it!
                        Yes!

Comment

Can't wait for pics!!!! I would go porcelain too!! If anyone in your area shows up with a tan it wil lbe assumed to be fake anyway!!!!
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Whether you go spray-tan or un-tan, make sure you exfoliate the heck out of your skin a couple days before and moisturize a bunch. You might feel better about your pasty whiteness if you've been thoroughly scrubbed and moisturized. I'm not really into spray tans, but I would suggest if you want to do it, that you spring for a trial run this weekend. Then you'll have a couple weeks to fade if it's horrible, and if you love it you can do it again a couple days before the event. I would NOT do your very first one right before the event!
                            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                              Hell DD, you can be DH's date if you want! No need to live vicariously through me; I don't wanna go.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Heidi, I am going to get the stuff from the link you posted and try it out. Thank you!

And thanks everyone for your advice, re: exfoliating, moisturizing, and doing a trial run. I hadn't thought of any of those things!

Comment

Working...
                              X