Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Urgent! Dress meeee!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent! Dress meeee!!

OMG the panic is setting in. I just realized that DH and I are meeting two other dawkter couples THIS SUNDAY at the fanciest restaurant I have ever been to in my LIFE. And I have nothing to wear. I don't mean "Oh, that dress is SO last week!" I mean that beyond slacks and cotton tops, I own one sleeveless ankle-length stretchy black flowered thing from Nordstrom that's over 10 years old; and if I have any shoes that aren't Keens or sneakers, they are $20 patent leather Hush Puppies.

I think I'm going to try to wear the dress. But I will feel so much better if I can track down some decent shoes and undergarments, and maybe a little cardigan or shrug. What do you think?? I can Amazon some Spanx, what style of shoe should I look for?
    Alison

How about your slacks with a new cardi set and ballet flats? I only suggest this because it can be something that you may be more likely to wear gain and may feel more comfortable???

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/cat/ANN...nks_950_043013

Sorry for the fly by posting - but that was the first thing that came to mind.
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I am all ears.
      Alison

Comment

If you go with a new cardigan set, how about a skirt to go with it? And maybe one piece of statement jewelry like a bib necklace? Is the restaurant like catching snails in Pretty Woman fancy or Sausage King of Chicago Ferris Bueller fancy?

Comment

For the price, it had better be close to Pretty Woman.

Did I mention that there's nothing more than Walmart within 30 minutes of me? I think there's boutique shopping in some of the cute little towns 40 minutes south of here...*maybe* even a few items to be found in my own town at "The Vintage Perch" and a couple other spots...maybe I need to get brave and power-shop during my 1 hour of kid-free time tomorrow. D:
          Alison

Comment

Mtv
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Be brave!

Comment

That was my attempt at a reply with a puppy in hand. Not MTV. We've been to really expensive places that aren't swanky. Is a jacket required for men?
                -Deb

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs View Post
                  That was my attempt at a reply with a puppy in hand. Not MTV. We've been to really expensive places that aren't swanky. Is a jacket required for men?
                  Heh. You know where she lives, right? I'd be shocked if there's a restaurant that requires a jacket for men within 1000 miles of her. Not to say it's impossible, just...quite unlikely.
                  Sandy
                  Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Yeah, I don't think they're going to refuse entry to the underdressed. Honestly I suspect it's more a tourist trap than it's a Michelin 4-star. But I do expect the men in our party to wear jackets. I don't need to pretend to be anything I'm not, but I've got to take enough of a stab that I don't feel completely like melting under the table from anxiety. Of the other two ladies that will be there, one is super cool and I know her well enough not to feel judged even if I wear my Keens. But she's always seemed put-together and accessorized and whatnot, so I don't want to drag her down with my schlub, LOL. The other gal I don't know yet, at all. But I do know that she's an east coast professional woman, and I think she'll probably wear something smokin'.

Me? I'm a size 8 edging into a 10. I have hips and boobs, and a waistline though I'm far from fond of the bulging action that's going on in the tummy area. (I did just remember I have a control undergarment of some sort.) Price range is pretty low. Like, more than $150 for a complete outfit would freak me right the f out. If I can be convinced of re-usability, we can creep higher. (Edit: Let me put that differently. I hate that I have a wardrobe with zero options. I would be pleased as punch to acquire some options you've vetted. We have the budget for it, I'm just miserly. Work with me??)
                    Last edited by spotty_dog; 04-30-2013, 05:52 PM.
                    Alison

Comment

I don't think you should wear keens. Ido, however, think you should get a nice outfit, but keep it simple/casual enough to be a regular in your outfit selection.
                      -Deb

Comment

If I missed it--I'm sorry, I don't know if you mentioned anywhere if you prefer to wear heels or not, but the first thing that came to mind (if you're planning on wearing a dress you have--or did I interpret that wrong?) were these shoes from Zappos (amazing customer service, super fast shipping):
                        http://www.zappos.com/ivanka-trump-bulbli-sand-patent

Which I think are the perfect shoe because they are classic and modern, and come in nude or black. If you're going with a cardi/skirt combo, use the shoes and accessories to dress it up. I know the shoes are a little pricey, but I have a pair and I cannot tell you the mileage I've gotten out of them--I think they are wonderful for all sorts of occasions.

Again, I may be off base with the style/trend you're looking for, but I recently met a friend for dinner who was wearing a necklace and matching bracelet that were almost exactly like this:
                        http://www.lulus.com/products/best-o...ace/68082.html

And it was so chic looking. I've been on the lookout for a chunky gold chain necklace ever since. That's the sort of thing that can, IMO, dress up an outfit without having to go out and buy new tops/bottoms.

ETA: ALSO!! Loft is having a 40% of EVERYTHING sale through today--these sales are amazing. This dress is an updated version of the LBD and might be fancy-restaurant appropriate!
                        http://www.loft.com/loft/product/pro...aultColor=6600
                        Last edited by WolfpackWife; 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM.
                        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Hell I want to buy that outfit. Damn LSW, you're good.
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Well I just bought everything that u posted lsw. Loved it all! Great finds and in sale too!
                            Brandi
                            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

DANG.

I'll be back but just wanted to say THANKS.
                              Alison

Comment

Working...
                              X