Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Men's Dress Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Dress Shoes

I am a believer on spending a little more to get a quaility shoe that will be comfortable and last. The problem is all of the shoes we have purchased for DH lately have fallen apart after about 6 months. We've tried Borns, Clarks, Rockports. I just returned his pair of black dress shoes that we bought at Dillards a couple months ago that were coming apart. Thankfully they took them back and we got a refund so now I'm in the market for a new pair of mens dress shoes. He prefers slip-ons, but maybe that's part of the problem? What brands have held up well for you.
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Johnston and Murphy followed by Cole Haan.

Eta: Fun story about the Johnston and Murphy's, my dad bought dh a pair when we first got married a d he just recently had to get rid of them (we've been married 21 years).
    Last edited by Pollyanna; 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think my husband got the Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers shoes (although he had a discount and gift cards). He tells me they can last a lifetime with resoling every once in a while.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Allen-...os=4&cgid=0522
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I like Born and Cole Haan simply because if they fall apart, the company either re-soles or sends you a gift card to buy a new pair. DH has had 3 new cole haan shoes this way because you cannot resole some of their air shoes.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
          I think my husband got the Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers shoes (although he had a discount and gift cards). He tells me they can last a lifetime with resoling every once in a while.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Allen-...os=4&cgid=0522
          Yes, to this. The Allen Edmonds have never been sent back.

Comment

My DH has a VERY nice pair of Allen Edmonds that he wears with his suits but he has recently bought two pairs of Eccos that he LOVES. He says they are comfortable enough that he can wear them to work even when he thinks he may be stuck on his feet all day. I think they are this one: (Of course it seems the toe on his is boxier so maybe its not that one, but its like it)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ecco-bir...esults-_-1_3_D
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

DH kills shoes - but his don't fall apart, he wears through the soles. I'm sure most shoes aren't meant to be really really used 80+ hours per week He has been wearing Merrells or Clark's for clinic, and NB for OR, but prior to a few months ago, was wearing 1 pair of Merrells all day (and night), everyday. He will probably get a pair of Allen Edmonds once we're out of training (that's his current shoe-lust).
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                DH kills shoes - but his don't fall apart, he wears through the soles. I'm sure most shoes aren't meant to be really really used 80+ hours per week .
                This is what happens to DH's shoes. The top looks good but the soles wear out. We have also sent Eccos back to get resoled - they do charge a fee but it was minimal compared to teh cost of buying a new pair. I just remembered it is the same with Birkenstock. When DH left his clogs in a hot car and the cork split we mailed them back and they got resoled...for a fee.

Check the manufacturers website. I will continue to buy these brands because they are worth the price IMHO since they stand behind their product.

ETA - DH does have several pairs of shoes and I think this helps with the wear and tear. Even though it is an higher cost, the shoes will last them longer if they rotate them. DH has two pairs of the same shoe...the second pair we found on sale a few months later.
                Last edited by medpedspouse; 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I'll have to bring this up to DH I'm sure this is news to him, too!
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

We buy all of DH's shoes at Nordstrom. They will take shoes back that wear out unreasonably fast.
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I don't know how he does it, but with one pair the soles just split open where they bend. They were Clarks. He sent them pictures and the gave him a new pair of shoes for free, but apparently those ones hurt his feet so he doesn't wear them for a daily shoe. The stiching on the top of the shoes I just took back was coming apart. I can wear shoes for years and they hold up just fine, he must just have destructive feet. I'll have to try to convince him to go to the mall to look at these other ones. I think it would be good for us to stick with brands that stand behind their shoes given his history .
                      Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by civilspouse View Post
                        I don't know how he does it, but with one pair the soles just split open where they bend. .
                        He may be like DH - he walks on the ball of his feet - do not know how else to describe it. This is the same thing that happens to DH's shoes they get a horizontal crack right at the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                          My DH has a VERY nice pair of Allen Edmonds that he wears with his suits but he has recently bought two pairs of Eccos that he LOVES. He says they are comfortable enough that he can wear them to work even when he thinks he may be stuck on his feet all day. I think they are this one: (Of course it seems the toe on his is boxier so maybe its not that one, but its like it)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ecco-bir...esults-_-1_3_D
                          DH loves his Eccos! He thinks they're even more comfortable than some of his tennis shoes for hours of standing.

Comment

Working...
                          X