Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Doc's gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was listening to a story on NPR recently. They were talking about doing medical relief work in areas that were physically isolated. The thing they wanted most was a 3-D printer so they can make disposable medical equipment like umbilical cord clamps.
    Kris

Comment

I want to see pics too!
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

To those of you who don't exchange gifts .... why not? (Just curious)
        Not sure that this tangent was ever addressed. I'm def. in this category. We typically don't exchange, but every once in a great while we do. In the beginning of our marriage, we worked so hard just to keep our heads above financial water that if we didn't need it, we didn't get it. Having a bit of financial security meant far more to me than anything else. This definitely stems from my upbringing. We weren't poor and hungry, but there were definitely times when power was turned off and there might have been a car repo in there. It took me a long time (Still?) to feel financially safe. Being able to sleep peacefully at night is a key security issue for me.

What totally jazzes me is doing things together. We do take really nice vacations, even during residency and fellowship. I always tell him that we will put money towards that. I just bought tix to the Book of Mormon which is touring here in Jan. This excites me more than any tangible gift.

Now that money is not so tight and we get what we want ourselves. In November, I spent a not-so-small amount on running shoes and family portraits, including a canvas wrap. He bought various pieces of pricey tech gear. We *could* have wrapped those things up and waited until December 25, but life seems too short to do this. Reading through the lines, I definitely skew on the pragmatic side of life. Even with my kids I tend to be more practical about gift giving. My two oldest ones had hardly any pants that fit on Thanksgiving. (Honestly, my oldest had to wear jeans to my in laws' 50th wedding anniversary!) That weekend, I went out and bought them several pairs of pants (with coupons!) and gave them to them right then and there. Kids grow so fast that shaving one month of the usage of clothes seems ridic. To defray the sense that we're cheapos at Christmas when everyone else is gifting tablets and gaming platforms, last year we started to reveal where the annual family vacation would be at Christmas. We did a scavenger hunt last year and this year they unwrapped a puzzle.

I am totally comfortable with this approach. My kids get so much from the grandparents, there would be little *wow* factor to anything that I could buy them.

ETA: Hopefully this didn't read as sanctimonious. Honestly, this is just our tradition and admittedly we are a household that is overflowing with abundance. I do appreciate other people's desire to have bigger holiday presents and different gifting traditions.
        Last edited by houseelf; 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'm the same way. Spouse gifts are hard because they feel superfluous at the end of the year, like I'm trying to think of something for the sake of giving. Unfortunately, DH does *not* feel the same way. Having a wrapped gift under the tree, the experience of buying it (they know my name) and watching everyone faces is important to him. Mom doesn't really need the money for sanity, a daily babysitter during the two week school break for yoga class. No siree. You can't wrap sanity and watch people open it…no issues under this Christmas tree.
          -Ladybug

Comment

Got this for DH for a back to school gift for Monday. Secretly hoping he shaves that mountain man beard!! I'm a birchbox whore so I figured this would be different but something he'd like

http://shaved.by/zxJR
            sigpic
            buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Working...
            X