Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What to pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to pack?

The ortho national conference is in less than 2 months. NOLA in mid-March. What do I wear to this? How many dress outfits should I bring? How dressy should they be? What's the weather going to be like?

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Following.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

One of the Anesthesia conferences was in NOLA. DH's dept chair was a big into fine dining so we had dinner at some really nice places including Commanders Palace. Ok nice is an understatement for that place...we modeled the dessert for our wedding dinner after their bread pudding souffle. Anyway, I'd recommend a couple of knee length dresses that you can dress up or down. Black is good because you can easily accessorize with shoes or a shawl. I think dressy pants/tops would work for most places too. There was a dinner planned for every night we were there. I'm not sure how similar it is for other departments. The dinners we went to were always adults only (none of the residents had kids).
      You see anything from dresses to jeans in the same restaurants. The tourists were much more casual but two of the places we went to required a jacket. I'm not sure about the weather. We went in October. I always plan to dress in layers if I'm not sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

We went in late Feb in 2011. It was chilly in the evenings, but still plenty humid and warm during the days.

You'll likely be doing a lot of walking, so keep that in mind. There really isn't any place to park in the French Quarter area so it is easier to just walk.

Commanders Palace is amazing. We had planned to take the St Charles Streetcar there (doable from Canal St) but randomly a car broke down and we ended up having to walk the whole way there in nice clothes through some areas that made me a little nervous :/
        Last edited by SoonerTexan; 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          We went in late Feb in 2011. It was chilly in the evenings, but still plenty humid and warm during the days.

You'll likely be doing a lot of walking, so keep that in mind. There really isn't any place to park in the French Quarter area so it is easier to just walk.

Commanders Palace is amazing. We had planned to take the St Charles Streetcar there (doable from Canal St) but randomly a car broke down and we ended up having to walk the whole way there in nice clothes through some areas that made me a little nervous :/
          I forgot about all the walking! We used the streetcar as much as possible and took a few taxis. I had these Aerosoles sandals - wedge heel with silver straps- that were dressy enough for dinner most evenings but we're comfy enough to walk in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I emailed one of the wives who graduated last year - she is as close to LSW as we have in our dept

Here's what she said:
            "Hey! Not over thinking - the boys never give any guidance, so frustrating! There's usually a "social program" that you can participate in if you're looking for touristy things to do. The day stuff is pretty casual - you'd just want to be prepared to walk around. Jeans and flats or whatever. I typically would wear one thing during the day and something more like a date night outfit for the evenings. And most of the girls just did their own thing during the day rather than went on a bunch of tours (shopped, ate or saw friends or whatever). I'd pack something to wear every night (not super dressy though). There's usually an Iowa alumni dinner that one of the staff will host and you'll dress up for that, and a specialty reception, and maybe some other reception? I can't remember but you're eating out every night. I'd dress kind of like I was going to an ortho recruitment or women's dinner I guess, maybe a teensy bit dressier? Heels - yes, sequins- no. Skinny pants with heels and a fun top? Simple dress - wrap or shift or whatever? Sorry if that's too vague!!! Good luck packing!"

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
            X