Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Help me shop :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me shop :)

I have a problem (actually, it's probably a good thing). I don't know how to shop. I mean, I know there are brick and mortar stores and online stores, and I know what styles I like. What I don't know is where or how to shop within my current budget. I also have absolute no clue about online clothing places.

The biggest thing I am in need of are tops. Not Old Navy tshirts (because I think I have enough), and not cardigans (again, abundance), but other tops that I could wear on a daily basis. No dry clean only for this stage of life. We're residents and I'm a SAHM, so they have to be inexpensive.

Right now, I wear some version of jeans and sweater every day (which is a step up from tshirts and yoga pants). I'd like something's that are a bit dressier or more fun, especially for spring!

Suggestions???

Wife of a PGY-4 Orthopod
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

I am watching this closely. I really need to re-vamp my wardrobe. I have a major case of the blahs but have no motivation to get out and shop either.
    Kris

Comment

I actually don't shop much for clothes online because I have to try things on... unless it's J Crew because I know exactly how it all fits me. My best recommendations for inexpensive tops are the outlet malls -- Loft, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. and TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I have an almost exclusively casual wardrobe, but I don't like to look like a total slouch, and I also like to be prepared for the occasional work event, so I tend to look for either sleeveless shirts/tanks in fabrics that can go either dressy or casual under a cardigan or jacket (like http://www.6pm.com/anne-klein-ikat-p...op-coral-multi), as well as 3/4 sleeve blouses, like: http://www.6pm.com/calvin-klein-peas...ayered-squares. Those are kinds of things you can throw on with jeans and a cardigan, or dress up with black pants. I find a lot of shirts like these at the Banana Republic outlet or TJ Maxx/Marshalls for under $25. Is that the kind of thing you're thinking?
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

BTW, one of the better things about shopping at the outlets for BR, Ann Taylor, etc. is that the fabrics are more likely to be synthetics and not dry-clean only, as opposed to the regular stores where you will find more silk and dry-clean fabrics...
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I think I mentioned my Zulilly addiction. Now that I do not need suits, I am in dire need of comfy clothes I can do chores in but also may me look put together if I am running errands. I have found several knit tops and dresses that fall is this category. Come to the dark side...http://www.zulily.com/invite/mh7528.

I also recently found a couple of wool tunic cardigans and cashmere sweaters for cheap at Talbots.

Athleta is my other fav place to shop but they are pricey. However, their stuff does last a while and I do not feel too bad running errands before heading to yoga or the gym in their clothes.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

GRU - Do you know what kinds of tops you like or that look good on you? Many online retailers let you filter the clothes by body shape, so that might be helpful.

We have VERY limited brick-and-mortar clothing shops in town. I do almost all of my online shopping at Nordstrom, HauteLook, Zappos, Amazon, Macy's, American Eagle, Nasty Gal, Aerie, and Forever21. (The last four are for our teen girls.)

Comment

Oh, LSW! Can you help me understand cowl neck sweaters/blouses? I fucking hate them and can't figure out why they exist. Maybe it's just because I'm large chested and they look stupid on me? I dunno, I just hate them. Almost like someone thought, "Hey! Let's make a turtleneck entirely useless by making it too wide and floppy to keep anyone's neck warm!"

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                Oh, LSW! Can you help me understand cowl neck sweaters/blouses? I fucking hate them and can't figure out why they exist. Maybe it's just because I'm large chested and they look stupid on me? I dunno, I just hate them. Almost like someone thought, "Hey! Let's make a turtleneck entirely useless by making it too wide and floppy to keep anyone's neck warm!"
                they balance out the junk in my trunk...
                Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                  they balance out the junk in my trunk...
                  Really?! Maybe I just don't have enough junk there.

Comment

LSW - don't know how I missed this, but then I took a little hiatus...

- what types of activities do you do every day or very frequently
                    Kids activities most mornings, I spend at least 1/2 my waking hours sitting on the floor. Running errands.

- how are you shaped (are you big busted, small busted, narrow hips, broad hips, broad shoulders, rounded shoulders, heavy, thin, average, short waisted, long waisted)
                    Average? I'm 5'6", 140#, current bra size is 38C. I have more "pooch" than muffin top (sides aren't as flabby as front). I've never been told that I'm exceptionally anything (big busted, junk in trunk, etc).

- what are you the most comfortable wearing, from a confidence perspective and also from a physical perspective? (everyone is comfy in pajama pants; I personally hate how I look in boat neck shirts and avoid them like the plague, and I feel lousy in button-downs but great in v-necks. That is what I mean about confidence)
                    I love the idea of maxi skirts/dresses, but if they're fitted/no slit, you can't sit cross-legged on the floor My style/what I am comfortable in trends towards preppy (collared shirt under a sweater, New York and Co was my go-to store for many years). I feel more confident in "fitted" shirts rather than blousey/"maybe she's pregnant under there" shirts. Pants-wise, I am more comfortable in Bermuda shorts during the summer. I love my jeans that I have. I don't wear capris anymore out of respect for you

- what's your comfort range for a budget
                    Right now, the budget is small, but I literally only wear Old Navy tshirts every single day. I need other pieces to mix and match (Old Navy/Forever 21-type budget) and maybe to look nice on a date.

DH has been "out-dressing" me for a while - he's always in business casual or maybe jeans, but certainly with a button-down shirt.

Some days I feel too "mom" looking, other days I feel like I'm still dressing like a college student...

(I LOVE a good cowl-neck - if the rest is fitted. I literally gag when I wear turtlenecks!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Jen
                    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                    X