Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Random fashion questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random fashion questions

What have you always wondered?

My recent one: do you thread your belt through the leather "patch" on the back? I never do, but I see people do it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
    What have you always wondered?

My recent one: do you thread your belt through the leather "patch" on the back? I never do, but I see people do it...

I rarely tuck shirts into jeans so belts generally go over longer blouses. Just works better with my proportions.

I know I have tons of questions but I'm drawing a blank. My style has evolved through trial and error, just doing what looks good on me. I'm sure I break a lot of rules.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      I rarely tuck shirts into jeans so belts generally go over longer blouses. Just works better with my proportions.
      I need to start doing that more often with my cardigans, but I really need a belt on my jeans to avoid "the gap"

Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

What are you talking about -leather patch? I'm so fashion inept. Seriously clueless here.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

My random fashion questions:

How?

How do you not look like an episode of WNTW?

How do you accessorize?

How do you find long enough shirts that don't shrink when your torso is looooong?

How do you put outfits together, layer, not look like a tool?

How do you make clothes shopping less demoralizing?

I'm about ready to go nudist. Well, no, but almost.
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Leather patch - No, definitely not. I think I might have done that once in 5th grade and someone made fun of me, so never again.

Making clothes shopping less demoralizing - Wear good underwear/shapewear. Wear a nice camisole that can look good under most things. Shave your legs, exfoliate, and moisturize so those godawful fitting room lights don't make your leg hair and dry skin glow. Always start with larger sizes and work your way down, NEVER the other way around.
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I'm with you, Heidi. I have found some long enough shirts in kind of silky material, but they're not really forgiving of my muffin top. I wish I could just wear jeans and men's Cafe Press t-shirts all day. That's the best!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post

Making clothes shopping less demoralizing - Wear good underwear/shapewear. Wear a nice camisole that can look good under most things. Shave your legs, exfoliate, and moisturize so those godawful fitting room lights don't make your leg hair and dry skin glow. Always start with larger sizes and work your way down, NEVER the other way around.
                This is good advise. Getting a few longer camisoles in a variety of colors will help you cover your long torso and give you an easy way to layer too. Wear makeup and fix your hair before you hit the mall. For me, the worst is when I'm browsing in a beautiful department store and then catch a glimpse of myself looking slovenly in the mirror. Makes me want to burn my entire wardrobe on the spot.

Fit and construction are the most important elements of whatever you wear. If something doesn't fit well or is falling apart, then it will never look good. Find a good tailor and invest in alterations. (GRU, the "gap" in the jeans waistband is an easy fix. You might want to look into that.) Fit the largest part of you first. For most women, that's the hips and/or bust. The rest can be tailored to fit. Some department stores even have free tailoring.

Know your colors. I know, I sound like an old lady when I say that. But it helps to know what colors flatter you. Then, when you shop, you can keep your eyes open for those colors and ignore the rest. This also helps when you want to combine pieces in your wardrobe. I know that my neutrals are black, grey/silver, white/ivory, and denim. My colors are red, fushia, and other jewel tones in the red/blue part of the color wheel. I avoid brown, beige, tan, green, orange, yellow and pastels. Invest in some high quality foundation pieces in neutral colors. For me, that's well fitting jeans, black/grey/white v-neck tee shirts, black a-line skirts and dresses. Every year certain colors become fashionable. If it's not one of your colors, and you still want to try it out, get some accessories in that color. A bag or belt will refresh your wardrobe and is a lot easier to wear than head to toe olive. If it is one of your colors, then it's your season to stock up.

Know your assets. Every woman has something worth showing off. What is your best feature? Mine are my bust, waist, and lower legs. I conceal my belly/muffin top, thighs, and upper arms. This will narrow your options too. If you know that you are never comfortable in short skirts or that turtlenecks make you look like a truck (and that is generally the case for anyone with a large bust) then you know you can ignore those.

I've got more but I have to go nurse Lambie. I'll be back in a bit.
                Last edited by MrsK; 02-18-2014, 08:07 AM.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I, too, have a weirdly long torso. I end up trying on a LOT of tops before buying any. I also own a metric shit ton of camis/tanks to layer under tops that are just a little too short.

I've actually become pretty decent at figuring out which tops on the hanger are long enough and which ones are too short. I've been known to buy a blouse in a too-large size and take it in at the waist.

Long torso and giant boobs is a tough body shape to clothe.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                    What are you talking about -leather patch? I'm so fashion inept. Seriously clueless here.
                    The one that has the jean company info on it On the back of the waist

Jen

Comment

Outfit assembly is something I don't have the knack for, so I try to stay simple. I don't really later except for my tank under my shirt

Jen

Comment

LSW, are you planning on coming to KC this year? If so, we really need a iMSN version of What Not to Wear (but without the 360 mirror - that shit is humilating).
                        Kris

Comment

YES!! Brilliant idea!

Jen

Comment

I have access to LSW, and I still haven't done a shopping trip with her. Someone kick me in the poorly-fitted pants! Heidi, I would love a chance to go with you sometime.
                            Laurie
                            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool View Post
                              LSW, are you planning on coming to KC this year? If so, we really need a iMSN version of What Not to Wear (but without the 360 mirror - that shit is humilating).
                              Let's make it a "worst dressed" contest! I'm going for GOLD… oh wait, I too tossed my capris for LSW.
                              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X