Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Preventative Botox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventative Botox

I had to see my derm today for my Q6month skin check (I had a basal cell last year on my forehead) and we got to talking about Botox. I just feel/look SO tired lately because I obviously have two kids/work a lot, etc. And she said that she often recommended "preventative Botox" - a small amount, twice/year - to women in their 30s to prevent the formation of deep wrinkles.

It's obviously not cheap but I'm willing to forgo the current small amount I set aside for luxuries (like a pedicure) and save them for doing Botox every 6 months. Since I'm "young", I don't need that much according to her.

Thoughts? Obviously it's a complete vanity/luxury but as someone who has literally not bought any non-maternity clothes except for a holiday party dress since 2011, I'd like to think it's ok. Plus, my 10 year college reunion is in June (on my 9 year, it's weird) and I'm one of the few who will be dragging along two young babies.

What says MSN?
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

I turned 30 last month, and I swear within weeks I started noticing a deep crease between my eyebrows. It sounds so vain, but I've totally thought about getting Botox at some point in the next few years.
    I'm eager to hear what other people think of the "preventative" aspect. I've definitely seen instances where people got Botox and fillers too young, and they ended up looking even older as a result.

Comment

Do it. I haven't, but I've been thinking about it. Everyone I know that has is happy with it and looks great.

Comment

I am not saying you will do this - just stating what I think I would do. My friend that is in her 30s does botox, I think it is every three months. Preventative she says and wants me to join her...it is not a normal doc appointment but some sort of party in the plastic surgeons office. I have declined because I think that if I get used to how I look with Botox, I will want to continue as I get older and will then require more. Although not completely crunchy, I am also not too comfortable with injecting something in my body that does not absolutely needs to be there....but I am notorious for suffering through allergy season because I do not want steroids.

I also went to a derm (6 years ago) that was always offering me additional cosmetic treatments...I did one and I never really felt/saw a difference...it was a preventative some type of light treatment. I often wonder if my type of skin/genetics would not have needed that anyway...but I am 42 and do not have a crease on my forehead. Can you wait to see if you notice something and then go or is it too late then?
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

My mom gets botox occasionally, and I think hers looks really good - she still looks age appropriate, just not as wrinkly as some. I've had cosmetic surgery, and I don't regret it a bit - it was for me only, and unless I specifically tell people about it, almost nobody knows I had it done.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I have a pretty big vertical crease already in my forehead (glabellar area) from staring up at the sail while sailing for 4 straight years in college. That's what I want to get rid of/prevent from worsening.

I'm worried about the slippery slope thing too. But let's not lie, I can't afford to go more than every 6 months anyway.
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I get it. Every six months. Not even 30 yet.
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                I get it. Every six months. Not even 30 yet.
                Well you're gorg so that gives me hope.

Do you like it? Do you know how may units you get?

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                  Well you're gorg so that gives me hope.

Do you like it? Do you know how may units you get?
                  Hahaha. Ur crazy but thanks. I get 10 united. 5 spots of 2 united each. 2 units over each eye brow arch then two units at the point of my eyebrows and nose bridge. Then 2 united about 1 in high than the middle of my eye brows
                  Brandi
                  Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                    Hahaha. Ur crazy but thanks. I get 10 united. 5 spots of 2 united each. 2 units over each eye brow arch then two units at the point of my eyebrows and nose bridge. Then 2 united about 1 in high than the middle of my eye brows
                    Do you mind if I ask about how much it costs each time?

Comment

It is free for me. But they charge 12 a unit so 120
                      Brandi

Comment

So 10 units total? That's like nothing. She suggested 25ish but she wouldn't be doing it, it would be someone else.

It's like $11-12/unit in my area.

Comment

Huh, that's way cheaper than I thought it would be.

But no real advice here.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, ST.
                            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                              So 10 units total? That's like nothing. She suggested 25ish but she wouldn't be doing it, it would be someone else.

It's like $11-12/unit in my area.
                              We total. I don't get a lot. I have thought about getting more but frankly it hurts
                              Brandi

Comment

Working...
                              X