Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cardigan fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardigan fit

I definitely want to wear more cardigans in the spring and fall (which weather lasts from about February to June and September to December around here). I'm a knitter and have never made a sweater for myself but I'm ready.

So, I've found the perfect pattern and I HAVE TO HAVE THIS SWEATER. It will be charcoal gray which will be a perfect mix-and-match piece with my planned wardrobe (looking for lots of gray and darker blues and some brown for neutrals). It's got shaped armscyes and doesn't have closures, which I think will be flattering. But tell me this: where should it hit me? I'm a fairly curvy size 10 or so, hips are a smidge bigger than full bust. Am I right that a hip/tunic length would be good?

And then I'm also trying to plan out a second sweater. It will be deep espresso brown and a bit chunkier. I'm thinking something I can style almost like you would a blazer? Would it be okay for such a garment to land at the high hip area? I keep coming back to this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reverb-2 but this is tempting because it has a little shaping to it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dark-and-stormy

Whaddya think?
    Alison

Oooh, pretty!

I have no idea right now, but I *will*! I'm planning to go to the Vogue Knitting Live in Chicago in October, and I have my eye on the Amy Herzog "knit to flatter" all-day class. I know you won't want to wait till then, but I'll be happy to share the knowledge I gain afterwords!
    Last edited by poky; 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM.
    Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I like them to hit either about at my hipbone, or just around where my hips start curving out. I've made 3 sweaters for myself, but I don't wear them. I think one didn't make the move, one was cotton and stretched like crazy, one is wool lace and I haven't figured out the best season to wear it. I made most of one in cotton/linen, but it didn't make the move. One of these days I should try to make another one that I'll actually wear. You know, when I have free time to knit again, and I've finished all of the things I've planned/promised for other people...
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
        Oooh, pretty!

I have no idea right now, but I *will*! I'm planning to go to the Vogue Knitting Live in Chicago in October, and I have my eye on the Amy Herzog "knit to flatter" all-day class. I know you won't want to wait till then, but I'll be happy to share the knowledge I gain afterwords!
        Well, I'm actually still spinning the yarn for both sweaters. I am not fooling myself that these projects will be done terribly soon! I just happened to be swatching and pattern browsing right now to help give me inspiration to keep spinning. I've heard great things about that class, so if you take it, definitely dish afterward.
        Last edited by poky; 07-04-2014, 08:14 PM.
        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Well, I'm actually still spinning the yarn for both sweaters. I am not fooling myself that these projects will be done terribly soon! I just happened to be swatching and pattern browsing right now to help give me inspiration to keep spinning. I've heard great things about that class, so if you take it, definitely dish afterward.
          Will do!

I looked at that first pattern a bit more; which sleeve length are you planning on? For me, I like the 3/4 length sleeves and mid length...but who knows if that's actually what looks best on me; I sure don't!
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I wish I could knit
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Don't know the answers to your questions, but that first sweater is gorgeous!
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

What weight will the finished yarn be? Anything over sport or dk is going to visually add pounds to you. Worsted works in a close fitting garment, but in a flowy cardigan, I'd also worry about it sagging and bagging. A shoulder seam will add some structure.
                Kris

Comment

Okay, I just looked at the details on ravelry. It is lovely, with some really pretty details.
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by LilySayWhat
                    For the first one, which is very pretty, I think you may need to be careful with it as far as being flattering. what I mean is that it is going to hang loose and drape from your bosom, so if you are curvy, like me, you will want to wear something fitted underneath so that it looks like you have a shape under it (since there is no closure, you'll be able to show off that bod or look like you are as broad as the width of the sweater...does that make sense?) Beautiful pattern. I would check a couple of the messages just to be safe, and see if people have shaped it to flute out at the bottom a bit or just followed the pattern as-is. and i would DEFINITELY use something like a debbie bliss cashmerino or something really, really super soft but that's me.

for the heavier shawl collar one that you want to wear in a blazery way, I would bring it to the narrow part of your waist - have it basically stop an inch above your hips. You want to have it long enough that it serves its purpose for your wardrobe but land in a place where it still shows that you have a curve rather than it's sitting flush on top of your hip. I would definitely check for shaping details on that one.

I'm inspired for the weekend and think I may start addressing my stash for the weekend!
                    YES, you are amazing. These are just the kinds of clues I needed!! I feel a lot more confident that I can make these work and not be frumpy. Especially the second one, I'm relieved that it's not a completely stupid idea to wear a structured shawl-collar cardigan in a blazerish way. I will definitely look for shaping, I think my first choice (Reverb) is designed to be more boxy so maybe I'll skip.

Knitters, we've started talking a little shop over on Ravelry as well, about the yarn and pattern details. Join us! http://www.ravelry.com/groups/imsn-ravelers

Lily, the yarn for the first one isn't quite cashmerino soft, but I definitely want to snuggle it all day long so I'm stoked about the match with the garment. HoW, I definitely chose a fine gauge for that one and I agree about the pretty details on the pattern! Whee! For the second one, the yarn is just a smidge on the light side of worsted. The wool definitely wants to be outerwear and I hope that in a fitted pattern it won't look like a big black blob on my top half!
                    Alison

Comment

Working...
                    X