Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wedding help (Indian)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding help (Indian)

I'm going to a wedding for a friend from medical school in Indianapolis. They are having an American wedding ceremony (I assume) on Saturday October 4th. The night before, they are having a Mehendi & Sangeet.

What do I wear? Should I purchase a sari? Is that rude or complimentary?

Feeling stupid.

Also, I've gained a shit ton of weight. So, there's that.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Oh, there is a Baraat on Saturday too.

Comment

RisheetandAimee.com

Comment

I wouldn't wear a sari. If it's the American ceremony and you're not involved in the wedding in any way, I would just wear a dress. For the weddings of my Indian and Bangladeshi friends, only Americans who were very very close friends or bridesmaids wore saris. Keep in mind that red is a bridal color and white is associated with death. Bright colors are great. Be cautious with showing any cleavage or too much shoulder/chest, depending on how conservative they are.

So, a brightly colored maxi dress that isn't too revealing in the chest?
        Last edited by MsSassyBaskets; 09-02-2014, 06:12 AM.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I have no idea! I found this.

http://www.indiamarks.com/indian-wed...ndian-wedding/

Can you contact Jenn Patel on Facebook? She'd know.

Angie
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

She blocked me. Don't know why.

Comment

I talked to Veena (from LDW), and she helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                She blocked me. Don't know why.
                Bites Tongue. Walks out of thread.

Enjoy the wedding!

Kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My best friend is Indian and I'm from a similar culture so let me know if you need any help!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                    I talked to Veena (from LDW), and she helped.
                    Yay!!!!
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I have been to two Indian weddings and have worn dresses. The only difference is that I had to have several dresses for the different events since it is a multiple day affair. It also depends on what part of India the family is from because at one I totally felt underdressed for the evening event...the amount of jewels on the women was just wowza!!!
                      Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

At the last Indian wedding I went to, I also changed dresses halfway through the day. The first one got a bit...snug. They fed us soooooo much amazing food.
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                        X