Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Williams Sonoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knives. Absolutely 100%.

Heidi
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I finally found spatulas that I love. They are one piece covered completely in silicone/rubber. No crannies for stuff to get stuck in, no parts to fall off. I've got mine from Sur la Table but they might have them at a WS.

I'm similar in that I don't have tons of pots and pans. I have what I use - three pots, large and small skillet, and a few baking pans. I have one le cruiset pot I like but honestly the others get used a lot more. Last year I upgraded from my old pots/skillets to All Clad. You don't need a ton of stuff, just what you use regularly. For knives I have four - chef, kinda bigger chef, paring and bread knife. They are a mix of brands. Just like with pots you only need what you use. WS does carry nice knives and good ice cream scoops too.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Yeah, if you really want to invest in something you'll get a lot of use out of, knives are great. Like one or two great knives, not a whole stupid set you'll never use half of. I love my Wusthof classic santoku, extra wide chef's knife, and 4" paring knife, they all get tons of use and I hardly need anything else. Love a good cast iron Dutch oven, and a quality 3-4 qt stainless saucepan (not nonstick, but that's my personal opinion). But seriously, if you really don't cook much, don't bother spending the $. It won't make you cook more.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I also have a santoku that I'm obsessed with. Dh uses something larger (his and hers chefs knives...eye roll). Also a knife sharpener is a good investment.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Ah, you guys are so right: I shouldn't purchase aspirationally. I do love Shun knives but husband LOVES our Cutco set and might be miffed if I get another chef's knife.. SIL was talking about getting us a Staub dutch oven, which I would probably use a lot since the main thing I cook are soups. (She prefers Staub to LC because of the colors?)

I went in there yesterday. Husband has been wanting a mortar and pestle. The ones there are pretty ugly IMO but I might as well pick one. They're also carrying some really cute mini cocktail shakers. He tends to make small drinks so that might be fun.

BUT now the Vitamix is on my mind. Apparently the Cuisinart I purchased back in grad school is being sold for $80. I remember shelling out a lot of cash for the thing, so either it was more expensive then or my concept of "a lot of money" has drastically changed. I went into Crate and Barrel thinking I'd buy the Breville, and my poor sales rep and I got accosted by another sales rep trying to get me to buy the Vitamix. I don't know if they get kick backs for big sells but I was really appreciating how the first woman WASN'T trying to up sell me. I ended up running out of that place after a very intense lecture on the benefits of Vitamix.....Seriously don't think I can justify spending that much on a blender though.

Comment

Definitely buy what you'll use, not what you hope to maybe use one day. If you make a lot of soups, Dutch ovens are fabulous. I FLOVE my Lodge ceramic covered Dutch oven and use it all the time.

If you go with knives, do your research, buy the best you can afford, and absolutely get a sharpening kit.

Comment

Working...
              X