Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

My laptop is dying!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My laptop is dying!

We bought it in 2011 for ~$300. It's an Asus. I love it but it keeps crashing. DH says replacement time. Is that really better than adding memory? If so, I want to keep it at or under $500. I found this but have to decide fast:

Or this:

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Yes, replacement is better than adding memory. A $300 laptop bought three years ago has a pretty out of date processor at this point, plus you can't guarantee its the ram causing crashes. I would personally choose the Asus given those options, but I can't see the specs on the Dell. Asus is generally a better brand IMO and a core i5 with 8 gigs should be adequate for most day to day use.
    Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

My laptop is dying!

Can you wait until tomorrow (cyber Monday)?

There is always good deals on some stuff.

Www.slickdeals.net
      Brandi
      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Check Newegg.com and microcenter.com as well.

Comment

DH called my brother. I need to find an Asus or Dell with 8gb RAM and I prefer a 17". This should be fun.

Veronica

Comment

We bought that dell and had to return it bc it didn't turn on after a few days. Just would not turn on. And we bought an hp envy before that one which stopped working after about a month. Thank goodness costco has has a good return policy. We are giving up on laptops for a while. I blame the new operating system, but mostly bc windows 8.1 is annoying and I hate touchscreen laptops.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Anyone know much about Lenovo?
              Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                Anyone know much about Lenovo?
                They're solid. There's a reason a lot of companies use them as their chosen staff computers. I hate how clunky mine is, they're not slick, but they're pretty reliable. Definitely better than Dell.
                Last edited by MsSassyBaskets; 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

My husband loves his dell xps. So the top of the line models seem to be good, but that computer is more expensive than my macbook. Dh got it at a heavily (like 80%) subsidized rate when in fellowship. Otherwise $2000 for a laptop? Puhleeze.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

There's one at Micro Center with an i7 processor. It's $544. They have one in stock. Feel free to text me tomorrow morning so I can get there at 9am to look at it. They also have an Asus I want to see so if the Dell is gone, the trip won't be wasted.

Veronica

Comment

Costco is having great cyber Monday sales on laptops.

Comment

They fall under their electronics return policy, but my DH is a PC person, and we ended up returning two dells with no issues at all until he ended up buying a Lenovo.

Comment

I think 16 inch or 17 inch is huge! I personally love my 13.3, but I need portability. Ryan had a 17, and regrets it immensely. Good luck! I hope you find something awesome!
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I ended up with a Toshiba. It was more than I wanted to spend, but a good deal.

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
                              I ended up with a Toshiba. It was more than I wanted to spend, but a good deal.
                              Toshibas are great! DH's is 4 years old without a single problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X