Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Suits and other professional attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suits and other professional attire

I'm giving a presentation this weekend at a conference. I'm used to conferences in my field, which is more technical, so we dress on the business casual to casual side, and very few women wear suits or jackets - a lot of the men don't even wear suits, jackets, or ties. This is more of a medical research field, likely with clinicians, and I expect they might be more dressed up. My usual go-to is patterned pants or a skirt, a nice blouse, and a solid jacket/blazer. I looked in my closet last night though and couldn't find my nicer black jacket, so I'm thinking it might have been in one of the stolen boxes. Should I try to go buy a new one? I'll post pictures of potential options later tonight. Where do you buy nice suits or jackets, keeping in mind that I'm petite?
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I always buy jcrew suits. They have petite. Maybe banana? I will say that I have always had a hard time finding a deal on suits. There really isn't the equivalent of a men's warehouse etc for women. Although I actually have found a few cute blazer/sportcoats at target and (weirdly) at urban outfitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always present in full suit and tie at conferences, but I'm a prof at a business school and business academics tend to be quite formal when it comes to these things. I wouldn't worry though - female presenters usually vary much more as regards outfits so as long as you look tidy, you should be fine.

Comment

I love J Crew suits too, the fit is incredible. But you have to order online, they don't generally have them in stores. I'm not sure about BR for women, their men's ones are pretty good. I've gotten jackets at Ann Taylor before, but it really bugs me that they're always synthetic blends and not 100‰ wool. They're have petites, of course. When I needed a size up when pregnant I actually got a black blazer at Target that I really like, for a cheaper option.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Loft also has petite suits. If you won't be wearing it often, it'll last a while even if the quality isn't top notch. Go with whatever brand fits best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Loft and Ann Taylor are usually my first stops. Especially Loft, because I don't have to go to the mall. I do find that BR pants fit better, but I try to shop at BR Outlet when I have time. Of course, I don't have time to really order online or drive to the outlet an hour way. I may stop by the mall after work and see what the JCrew and BR have in store. I do have a couple of jackets that made the move, but they're all pretty casual, I think.
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

J. Crew here too. Can't beat their petite sizing.

Comment

I always wear suits at work (med ed) and present in a suit. My favs come from Ann Taylor, Talbots, Banana, Tahari petites. I usually wear pantsuits instead of skirts. I think I can get more wear...as in if it is cold, I can layer.
                Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Love Tahari suits. You can usually find them at TJMaxx, too.
                  Jen
                  Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

My favorite slacks are always Tahari. I purchased a sweater from TJ Maxx last fall and four, FOUR holes have torn at the seam. One in the neck and three at the arm. Chhheeeapp. But that just makes me want to never go to TJ Maxx again.

Comment

The limited ( lots is rewards), banana and j crew are the big ones. I want a custom fit brooks brothers. I am thinking that will be my birthday gift.
                      Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Here's what I have:

Mentor said most wear suits, but I'm presenting on Saturday and it can be more casual, so she thinks pants with a blouse and cardigan will be fine. I also have a dress and skirt that could work with tights. I'll try to take more pictures tonight.

Comment

I like the black pants with the tweed (?) jacket. Even though it is Saturday and people may be more casual, I always err on the side of more "formal" - but I also totally buy in to the power suit notion. . I totally have certain suits and high heels that I wear that "give me" more confidence. I just rather be overdressed than under.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Does it still work if the pants are charcoal? I have some black pants but they shrunk and are a bit short now.

Comment

So I need two outfits, one for pictures tomorrow and one for my presentation Saturday. Here are the options, can be mixed and matched. I have black and dark brown low boots.
                              uploadfromtaptalk1425011842551.jpg
                              uploadfromtaptalk1425011889888.jpg
                              uploadfromtaptalk1425011966078.jpg
                              uploadfromtaptalk1425012036655.jpg
                              uploadfromtaptalk1425012090386.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X