Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lego Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lego Books

Has anyone ever purchased the Lego books that provide instructions/inspirations for new creations? We're just starting down the real Lego path (Duplo has been an obsession from day 1) and already I'm seeing how the kits are overwhelming and difficult (especially if you hope that toys will get passed from child to child). I've come across Lego books on Amazon and I'm wondering if it's a racket or if it helps give them a lot more things to build.

We've invested in a large set of classic blocks (plus kits) so she's got a lot of bricks...
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Lego Books

We encourage more open-ended creative building with casual play. My dd has built furniture for a dollhouse and also built vehicles, etc. She builds what she wants or needs. Lego has a huge education focus too (both homeschooling and institutional), it's pricy, but we're considering incorporating it into our curriculum. Keep in mind, our daughter wants to pursue engineering. Lego even has a kit for language arts! (Not that we're doing that, just goes to show how imaginative their marketing department is!)
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen some of the amazing stuff that they do. Since we already have one extremely expensive approach to homeschooling (Montessori), we likely won't homeschool using many of the Lego materials but it's neat to see them. DD is almost 5 and we use Legos as open-ended play during her afternoon rest time. She's great at playing with them creatively and quietly by herself. She is definitely, however, in a sensitive period for following the visual instructions of Lego kits so I want to foster that.

So far, I'm finding that the books are more "inspirations" than step-by-step instructions that she would want.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Okay, my 10yo is a creative builder and has had some of those books. He says that, as a person who prefers building spaceships, he suggests you will want to make sure to have a wide variety of cockpit "glass" pieces if you want to build the coolest examples from those books. And in general, if you don't buy the kits, you won't get the most useful special pieces. (I did remind him you can buy lots on eBay that have the special pieces!) You might find you have to adjust your build if you find the pieces you have aren't a perfect fit. But if you understand that, then yes, he does think that a collection of pieces plus some interesting books could be as useful as buying kits!
        Alison

Comment

K1 brought one of the Lego books home from the school library and he's been studying it obsessively for 2 weeks. IDK how much he's learning but he is fascinated just looking at the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
          X