Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What do you splurge on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://highendusedfurniture.com/pro...e-w-secretary/

This is the latest purchase I'm contemplating. Instead building in storage, bookcases, and desk space for our home office. It would have been $20k when it was originally built so it's a bargain by comparison but still feels like a splurge. Should I do it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Mrs. K,

I read an article recently that the market for antiques has gone way, way down. People just aren't as into antiques anymore. Apparently even Antique Road show puts in new estimates now on old reruns. I'm not saying this to discourage you, I'm just letting you know that: a) don't think there will be any resale value; and b) you can probably negotiate this further down.
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
        Mrs. K,

I read an article recently that the market for antiques has gone way, way down. People just aren't as into antiques anymore. Apparently even Antique Road show puts in new estimates now on old reruns. I'm not saying this to discourage you, I'm just letting you know that: a) don't think there will be any resale value; and b) you can probably negotiate this further down.
        Absolutely. There are trends. Right now, mid century modern is hot. Personally, I prefer French provincial and neoclassical wood pieces from the 50s and early 60s. I buy them for their quality of craftsmanship and functionality, not resale value. I'm a firm believer in buying what you love and ignoring trends.

Antiques and art are like fashion. There are trends. One year something like bakelite or enamel or head vases will suddenly be in demand. Two years later, you can't give the stuff away. The only antiques that have inherent value are fine jewelry.

Comment

Bear in mind, my mom is an antiques dealer and jeweler. My grandfather invented the first gold leaf and antiquing kits for furniture. I grew up in this business.

Comment

Generally speaking, the trend in furniture is a move towards "disposable" furniture. Inexpensive reproduction pieces from ikea and target. They're easy to move and since the investment is nominal, people don't feel bad about replacing it with the newest thing.

Comment

If this is something you're in the market for and have a place for, then sure, could be it's appropriate for your family and lifestyle. I have a friend who is looking for just the right antique Japanese tansu chest and may be spending around $2-4000 for it, but you can't really put a price on something so unique and perfectly suited to your life. If it's that type of long-sought purchase, I'm sure you'll be going to evaluate it in person -- I think the Konmari rule would apply, touch it, and spend some time with it, and it'll tell you if it's going to be something you truly love.

In my house, for my lifestyle, that'd be a no f*ing way. Maybe we'll get around to upgrading from the IKEA and low-end thrift storage in our bedroom, at which point something in the $200 range *might* become feasible. We did upgrade the carpeting and the wall color, so it's on the 6-month plan to do exactly this. (And BTW, again, this is for US. This is not judgment. I'm pretty sure you don't have an entire stable of $10,000 bicycles. )
              Last edited by spotty_dog; 03-24-2017, 01:19 PM.
              Alison

Comment

We splurge on vacations. That is a big line item in our yearly budget. Dh gets 16 weeks paid vacation so I am sure we will be utilizing them.
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Oh - well pre-scrubbing toilets seems a little crazy to me. But I guess maybe I'll fee differently once potty training happens. I feel like that's more than I would do. I just hate when stuff is piled up and not really put away. So that's why I pick up before they come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                    Oh - well pre-scrubbing toilets seems a little crazy to me. But I guess maybe I'll fee differently once potty training happens. I feel like that's more than I would do. I just hate when stuff is piled up and not really put away. So that's why I pick up before they come.

It's not required but I do it as a courtesy and because the mess embarrasses me. I know my housekeeper has seen bigger messes.

Comment

Also, I want to keep them happy and inexpensive. They charge more if you are exceedingly sloppy or demanding. When DrK was a resident, he lived in his parents home briefly. After 2 weeks, the housekeeper demanded a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                        If this is something you're in the market for and have a place for, then sure, could be it's appropriate for your family and lifestyle. I have a friend who is looking for just the right antique Japanese tansu chest and may be spending around $2-4000 for it, but you can't really put a price on something so unique and perfectly suited to your life. If it's that type of long-sought purchase, I'm sure you'll be going to evaluate it in person -- I think the Konmari rule would apply, touch it, and spend some time with it, and it'll tell you if it's going to be something you truly love.

In my house, for my lifestyle, that'd be a no f*ing way. Maybe we'll get around to upgrading from the IKEA and low-end thrift storage in our bedroom, at which point something in the $200 range *might* become feasible. We did upgrade the carpeting and the wall color, so it's on the 6-month plan to do exactly this. (And BTW, again, this is for US. This is not judgment. I'm pretty sure you don't have an entire stable of $10,000 bicycles. )

It would replace all of the furniture in this room (6.5' bookcase, 7' long desk, and the side table with the printer). That furniture takes up roughly half the room. The bookcase/secretary would fit entirely inside the alcove where the desk is in lieu of a built in. So, for us definitely functional and something for which we've been in the market.

Last edited by MrsK; 03-24-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I love - whatever the proper furniture name is for barrister/glass doors on bookcases. It's so much better than open shelves for stuff that you aren't touching every day. I hate dust build up on books and files. Etc.

I think the price for something that substantial seems really reasonable too.

Anyway - in case you were wondering what I thought! I'm procrastinating....

Comment

I don't pick up any messes before they get there. They start in my bedroom and M has gotten into "cleaning" with them so we pick up her toys and things and I wash the dishes. I'll pick up anything off the floor and whatever they pile on the couch I'm happy to put away myself. I just can't do everything else.

wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

I guess define splurge. A lot of you put travel. We travel a lot ( more when we were homeschooling), but they were 2 week camping trips along Civil War Battlefields. Our two biggest splurges for travel Disney trip was $2,000 for the 5 of us and England, France and Germany for the 5 of us for 16 days for $5,000. Homeschooling books/supplies and now teaching supplies but does that qualify as splurging? I'm not sure I see anything listed as "splurging." It is just different priorities. To me, a picked up house is a clean house. I think perhaps some of you have higher standards of cleanliness than I do. The housekeeper gives you peace of mind. I don't need that and would feel guilty, like I'm not doing my job.. But that is MY hangup NOT any of you that have one. On the other hand, I'm spending my own money to buy music for my choir at school. Our little school barely makes ends meet and I look at it as doing things for the school. Just like homeschooling, I am buying all kinds of supplementary books and materials to teach the subects. I just brought in 15 books from my collection on WWII for my 8th graders to use for their research papers. ( They really liked the volume of Annals of America from my collection. ) I buy books that I certainly don't NEED and yet they feed my soul. I don't know, but splurging has the connotation to me of wasting money. I don't see anyone here wasting money. They are spending their discretionary money on things that enrich their lives and/or give them a peace of mind.

Comment

Groceries for sure. I get what we want and don't worry about sales. We have an open budget for books and dh splurges way too much on model trains. He's promised to scale back however. I send my dog to daycare once a week which is unnecessary but he loves.
                                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Working...
                                X