Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Down with Christmas craziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down with Christmas craziness

sorry about the stress, annie. i think the whole idea of christmas is WAY, WAY overboard.

just take on a new identity....tell them you dont celebrate christmas. :>

~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

I have all the addresses in an Access database that I import into Word to make labels. That helps a ton. Sorry -- no hand addressed cards from me!

I have started making lists mid-year and keep it on the computer. But I usually forget where I saved it. On the upside, if I come across a list from a past year, sometimes I can still use the idea.

Truly, this holiday pregnancy has paid off. I started making a list in advance this year and not only got shopping done beforehand but spread the cost over a few months. (Wow, office staff and co-worker gifts. Didn't think of that but I'm sure we will be next year).

Comment

I feel your pain! I spend more on gifts for my secretary (the norm in my field is $50-100 at a min), my housekeeper (min. $100), & my dogwalker than on my husband. Plus, holiday travel and family gifts, it really adds up. Consider the ING account, you can create a holiday folder, and direct a small amount of money each month for automatic transfer from your checking account to ING. ING has good interest rates, though not the best of online banks - - in spite of this I prefer ING because you can create separate subfolders and place different amounts of money in each: e.g., emergency, holiday, taxes etc.

Comment

Ours is just part of the budget. Every December there is $X that we take out for gifts, each person gets $Y spent on them. If we spend a little less on one we can spend more on the other but must stay under the total budget.

I do most of my shopping online (don't tell my boss!) or I split things with other family members. I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of everything so that no one is forgotten and it helps stay under budget.

I still handwrite my cards, I think we sent out around 80 this year. Next year (if there is a kiddo) that might change.

I'm sure it will get crazier when we have kids but I still try to enjoy all aspects of the holidays. I do any instore shopping I have to do early on a Sunday when I know the mall will be less crowded. If I have to go pick up a gift card, I don't even look at anything else - just the get the card and go.

:christmas:
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Since I am the secretary, housekeeper, babysitter and general laborer around here does that mean i get gifts for each role???

Comment

I second the ING idea, plus if someone send you an invite, you can make an extra $25.

I don't celebrate Christmas, but that only means that while I spend lots on others, I don't get anything in return. You all know where I'll be on the 26th (luckily we have the day off). :>

Comment

I am in the same boat as sms92. Each year I buy all year long, make a budget, ect, ect....and each year I end up with all these extra gifts I have to buy for people I am not even close to. For example, I already picked out a great gift for my secretary. However, due to lack of space, her work area is now shared by 2 other people who sometimes help her out with someof my projects. Now I feel like I need to get them something too (which is ok) BUT will it look bad that secretary has fab gift and they do not? Also, part of my gift giving each year is a donation to a charity my recipients support and/or care about. However, when asked to support other causes (as an office, civic group, church group, etc.) I feel like the grinch because "I already gave" - How crazy am I???
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy Sunshine
                Ours is just part of the budget. Every December there is $X that we take out for gifts, each person gets $Y spent on them. If we spend a little less on one we can spend more on the other but must stay under the total budget.

I do most of my shopping online (don't tell my boss!) or I split things with other family members. I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of everything so that no one is forgotten and it helps stay under budget.
                Cheri, are we twins? That's exactly what I do. I have a spreadsheet of gifts I've given throughout the years and I do most of my shopping online. It's so much easier that way.
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

I have all the addresses in an Access database that I import into Word to make labels. That helps a ton. Sorry -- no hand addressed cards from me!
                  I do that, too, although I do hand-address cards to people whose addresses aren't in my data-base for whatever reason.

I started Christmas shopping Wednesday (did a couple of hours of online shopping) and spent the whole day today shopping. (I took the day off.) I still have 6 or 7 gifts to get......2 of them will be online, but I will have to venture out at least once more. The thing that has really helped me is to have made a list of what I was getting people before I ever started shopping. I also have a standard teacher gift.....Barnes & Noble gift cards. So I don't have to spend too much time thinking about that.

Sally
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                  X