Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How do you feel about traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about traveling?

Thomas booked his ticket to fly to San Fransisco (over Dallas/Ft. Worth). He leaves in about two weeks. I feel very uncomfortable about this in the wake of all of the many things that continue to happen. I tried to convince him not to go but he feels adament that he won't be held back by terrorists....I'm really nervous about this. Is everyone else settling back into normal travel? Maybe I'm overreacting...

Kris

Kris - I know. I think you have every reason to be nervous. I don't know about flying. I have been on one plane trip since the attack. I was considering going on another one in a week or two. I think that you should consider a few things before you decide to take a plane trip these days - first, is it an absolutely necessary trip? I consider my trips absolutely necessary because they are to see my family and friends and I will not let the terrorists stop me from seeing them, and it is too far to drive. I must say that I would not do a vacation trip right now. Work - yeah, I guess so if it meant my job. Is this trip for work? This might be really stupid thinking, too, but I would consider the destination and arrival cities - and where you are going through on your way there. I don't know?

Comment

Kris -

There is a lot of fear about flying right now. When my fiance left for San Antonio last weekend, I had the same thoughts. My fiance got to San Antonio all safe but I do have some fears on his trip back. I will tell you what happened the day he left but I do not mean to scare you but to share w/you the turn of events that day. If you do not wish to read this, you can stop right here.

Well, my fiance's plane was scheduled to take off at noon and he arrived safely. In the evening around 6 or 7pm, there was a Middle Eastern man who set off the metal detector at the airport, ran through it, and was chased down by police. He was taken into custody for questioning. In the meanwhile, there were about 20 planes on the runway set to take off but they had been ordered to halt takeoff in fear that there may be something on those planes. There was a major inspection and this totally held up all of the flights going out and coming in. In the meanwhile, there were about 2000 people waiting to get through the metal detector and the airport was just a mess.

Luckily, nothing bad happened. My point is that you just never know what is going to happen. Especially w/the turn of events on 9/11. I agree w/Claudia about examining the nature of the trip and how important it is to you and your husband. With my fiance, we don't really have a choice b/c he has to do two rotations w/the military on a major base before he graduates. He has one more to do after this one and I just don't know where he will be stationed. Hope this helps!

-Rachel

Comment

Personally-

I don't really think it matters- I'm travelling to Ireland in two weeks which will require chanign planes 3 times. My concern aren't the terrorists or the safety requirements- my only real concern is the numbers of vehicles on the ground at the airports. There have been so many near misses and then that horrible crash in Milan last week- all because there are too many people trying to occupy the same space!

I honestly think that if everyone gets all worked up- it plays in to exactly what the terrorists want to happen. We are an open and free society and that scares a lot of people. And don't get all hysterical about flying or Anthrax or any of the other garbage going on- we can't control it so there's no point in expending the mental energy in worrying about it. Worry about something that you can do something about.

Now would be an ideal time to fly- they are safer than ever, cheaper than ever and not crowded. Besides, do you really think the terrorists will do the same thing twice? Not likely in my opinion.

My two cents-

Jenn

Comment

Well, this is a completely voluntary trip to a medical meeting...and I feel extremely uncomfortable and upset about it. He will be flying to San Francisco out over chicago and back over DFW...I know that security is tighter, I know that we're supposed to go on with our lives, but I fear that traveling now still isn't safe...I just can't help it...

This is a source of discontent between us, but I have lost this battle, so I have no choice but to let the topic go...

Kris

Comment

It isn't the terrorists I'm afraid of, it is the crazy copy cat Americans.

Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I know...isn't that awful, Luanne? It is just disgusting that we are seeing these "copycat" crimes popping up all over.....

Kris

Comment

Working...
              X