Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

13 YO Boy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 YO Boy ?

So, due to some unforeseen illness issues, my uncle and my 13 yo cousin are going to my parent's house for Christmas as my aunt's mother has stomach cancer and they planned the surgery for the 22nd. My mother is desperate since this kid is...well, to be honest, he's wierd. Like really, really socially inept and kind of creepy.

That said, my mother wants to have some stuff for him to do and they'd like to get a computer game that he can play and give everyone a break.

Any recommendations for 'appropriate' computer games for 13 yo boys? My parents have a mac but I'm sure that most games they'll be able to find at the apple store.

Jenn

I've been trying to convince my fiance to use a Mac for a couple of years now. His argument is that Macs don't have nearly enough games. I imagine the boy will scoff at the Mac, but I wouldn't care. Age of Empires might be nice and they make that for the Mac. World of Warcraft is good but it requires an online subscription on top of the cost of the game. Sorry I couldn't really help.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

Sims?

Comment

Yeah, The Sims are pretty cool. Sometimes the game annoys me to no end and I get the feeling more girls play it than guys, but he might like it. How about if your mom takes him to the Apple store and lets him pick a game himself?
        Cristina
        IM PGY-2

Comment

He could play Runescape online. That's what a lot of the kids do around here. It's a free or pay site. If he plays, he'll just need an internet connection.

Good mac games include Sims, Civilization, SimCity.....and also the Warcraft, Everquest, Neverwinter Nights stuff (but some parents object to that).

You could always get him an iTunes card and just let him download music, shows or games. My 11 year old crew is really in to iTunes. :> And YouTube....with lots of supervision.

What kind of things does he do?
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I second the Civilization and Warcraft ideas (both games have tons of variations and "sequals" out as well). You could literally play both games for weeks.
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

We also liked StarCraft though its a bit older...~8 years old.
              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My husband's younger brother has stayed with us almost every summer of his teenage years (he's now 16 years old - almost 17).

The absolute best way to keep a 13 year old boy out of trouble is to keep him busy, busy, busy. So, my young bil learned how to strip wallpaper, tape off and paint a room, lay laminate flooring, etc.

My suggestion for a boy that age is to set him to work on some project (with supervision of course - but at that age with many things the supervision can be light).
                Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                With fingernails that shine like justice
                And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

If there is a place where he could have access to a tv, I would suggest renting a video game console and some games....let him pick the games. I wouldn't want a thirteen year old messing around on my computer......especially if he is "creepy".

It is very thoughtful of your parents to think of him!

Sally
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3
                    I wouldn't want a thirteen year old messing around on my computer......especially if he is "creepy".
                    That's a very good point.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
                    X