Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Remembering what you read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering what you read

Does anyone have any tips for better remembering what you read? I find that when I read an entire nonfiction book I have a hard time remembering a lot of the details--and I take notes, but it doesn't seem to help! I never had a problem with studying--because you go over the information a bunch of times--but just reading a nonfiction book straight through--I find I don't retain all that much. For instance I just finished a non-fiction book and I was trying to think through all the stuff I learned in it but unless I went back over my notes I didn't remember all that much.

Does speed reading help? Anything else helpful?

What kind of learner are you? I am an auditory learner, and I remember things best when I hear them. Therefore, books on tape are a good way for me to remember.

I also remember well when I write something down. Just reading things can be hard for me to retain. I think you just have to discover what helps you learn the best. It is individual for everyone.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

It's like you said, going over it several times is pretty failsafe. That's why I'm much more likely to purchase nonfiction books on subjects that really interest me, because I'm probably going to read them again and again -- and even then, that's just enough to help me remember where stuff was in the book, I need to have it on hand to reference! (Whereas I seldom buy fiction books anymore, even though I like to re-read them, because the library is close enough to access them again later.)
      Alison

Comment

I'm definitely a visual learner, so after I finish a book I try to visualize the info on the page, and taking notes helps too. But I find it sad that after I finish a book (and I read it in a couple of days so not over several weeks or anything to have time to forget a lot) I don't remember much.

Comment

If it's your book, you can perhaps write in the margins? The simple act of writing helps you remember, even without going back to read your notes...

Focusing on the main ideas helps. You can always go back for specifics...

Usually we remember what is meaningful to us.

If it's a library book and you write in the margins (or anywhere in it), my Marginalia Police will trace you and make your life miserable!!! It drives me nuts when I pick up a library book with notes in it!!! I can spend hours carefully erasing everything. If it's in ink, I might abandon the book and try to find my own copy!!!

Good luck

Comment

Sounds like you have a photographic memory, as do I. I remember things by visualizing the page etc. An art teacher once taught me how to put it into practice.

Write the core word or topic in the middle of the page and circle it. Using different colours, write sub-topics or titles around it. It works for me.
            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
            X