Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Failing a clinical rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing a clinical rotation

My partner failed the clinical aspect of his OB/GYN rotation. Sounds like they had it in for him, maybe even some discrimination going on (he is gay and Asian). This was his only grade below a "high pass" so far, in rotations or classes.

He is appealing the grade, and we are hopeful, but I wonder if anyone else's spouse ever failed a clinical rotation? What were the repercussions for the student's career? Any advice (or encouragement) would be great.

I don't have any advice, but I'm really sorry. I hope you guys can work it out.

Comment

Unless he wants to do a super competitive fellowship or residency, I don't think it'll be a big deal. Even then if his Step scores are high enough, one rotation grade won't be held against him.

Comment

I think committees consider that a student may have had a crappy professor/crappy day/crappy rotation. As long as it's not a pattern, I don't see failing one rotation as a problem. At all.

He'll be fine. You'll be fine. Deep breath.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

My DH has been on the grading side of this equation a few times. I'd advise you to encourage him to get more input so he can avoid this in the future. It's funny how often a failing grade is the result of a lack of communication about expectations. I don't think it's the end of the world for him. It is a wake up call. No one wants ot fail a student; it's done to get them to change. Make it a priority to find out what message they are sending.

I sincerely hope it isn't "Don't be a gay asian man." That would suck. I didn't get much of that in Boston, though---but it is very competitive environment. Nasty competitive. Hopefully, he can turn this around and be fantastic next time out. (And that has happened here after a single talk.....from failing to "the best da** student we have". Communication is key!)
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

thanks to all

Thanks for all of the support. The biggest problem with all of this was the lack of feedback he received during the rotation, and after. The comments at midpoint related to punctuality problems, which he did have. He cleared these up in the second part of the rotation, and that was one reason why the failing grade was such a shock. Needless to say, this has been an extremely unpleasant time for us.

Comment

See....that's just wrong. He needs feedback. I hope he gets it now that it is done. In fact, the failing grade may be the only way he can get the info he needs. It is too bad that they couldn't find the time to sit down with him before it got this far. Everyone is just too busy for that.

Feel better. This too shall pass.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

We had some "rough rotations", and dh even repeated one. I don't know if he was ever assigned a failing grade, or just poor notations in his record.

As someone else stated, unless he's trying to go into something uber competitive where he'd need to be AOA or something, he should be okay.

Welcome!

Comment

I just noticed that you're a professor. So, I'm sure even though this experience has been unpleasant for you, that you've been able to give your partner some good advice and insight into how subjective grades can be. It seems that feedback (or lack thereof) is the problem here; your partner should have been explicitly told what he would need to do to pass the rotation. Rotations shouldn't be amorphous blah.
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I agree that communication is key. My husband's worst rotations were the ones that he felt like he was wandering around in the dark. I mean let's face it, not all people who are in teaching positions like to teach or are cut out to teach. (now that my husband has to do it, he's very careful in the beginning to lay out reading and clinical expectations and he makes sure that they know that asking questions is a good thing.)

There are two things that need to be considered:

1) Did your partner hate Ob/Gyn and let it show? Even subtle hints that they hate it can annoy the attendings. (most people hate neurology but he expects them to be at the minimum motivated to learn it if only for Trivial Pursuit questions later in life)

2) Does your partner think it's truly the gay/Asian thing or is it easier to think that it's the gay/Asian thing rather than a crappy teacher/crappy rotation/no interest in the subject/insert other reason here. If it is truly an 'ism' then he needs to decide how far he wants to push the issue. I'm all for civil rights complaints but Large Learning Institutions can 'kill the messenger' instead of dealing with the issues.

I'd suggest that he sit down with the preceptor, NOT to ask for his grade to be changed but to get very specific instances of what he did wrong and where he needs to improve. He he doesn't ask, he'll never know and I bet he'll be asked to repeat the rotation. Might as well find out now what the problem (or the perception of the problem) may be.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                      Unless he wants to do a super competitive fellowship or residency, I don't think it'll be a big deal. Even then if his Step scores are high enough, one rotation grade won't be held against him.
                      I agree with this.
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                      X