Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Surgeon operates on dog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeon operates on dog...

I'm all for research on animals when it is approved and regulated - this is just ridiculous!

Surgeon induces dog aneurysm in sales demo
    Acted against hospital policy, Cleveland Clinic says; animal euthanized
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 8:32 a.m. CT Jan 12, 2007
    CLEVELAND - A neurosurgeon used a dog with an induced brain aneurysm to demonstrate a medical device to salespeople, a hospital said Thursday.

The dog was anesthetized during the demonstration and euthanized afterward, according to the Cleveland Clinic, a renowned academic medical center.

The hospital uses animals for medical research but this demonstration was unauthorized, a hospital statement said. The clinic has reported the incident to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which regulates animal testing.

“As an academic medical center, Cleveland Clinic does not allow procedures with animals for the sole purpose of sales training,” the clinic said in a statement.

The surgeon, who was not immediately identified, was presenting a device used to treat aneurysms Wednesday to a group of people who sell it, the hospital said.

It was not clear Thursday whether the aneurysm was induced in the dog solely for the sales demonstration. An aneurysm is when arteries or blood vessels bulge and eventually burst, which can cause severe damage or death.

Messages left with the USDA late Thursday were not immediately returned.

The clinic said the surgeon did not have permission from the hospital’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee to host the demonstration. The doctor submitted an application to the committee, but its members never reviewed it, the hospital said.

An internal investigation was under way and the clinic plans to provide training for doctors to prevent a similar incident in the future, the hospital’s statement said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Stupid neurosurgeon!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Notice that it wasn't HIS dog.

That's just wierd.

Jenn

Comment

:: That just makes me very very sad. And very very sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss November
        :: That just makes me very very sad. And very very sick.
        Same here!

Comment

Ughh...disgusting.

Comment

If they fixed the aneurysm, why couldn't they then adopt the dog out?
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele
              If they fixed the aneurysm, why couldn't they then adopt the dog out?
              Yeah, might have been a better sales pitch.

Comment

:disappointed:

Comment

That makes me sick too. Not only did he induce the aneurysm, knowing that there was a possibility that the operation will fail, he then killed the poor dog. Why? What a heartless person he must be.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by cheeriosandoats
                    Thats just wrong.
                    ITA, what the hell was he thinking?

Comment

There was a dog lab for DH's physiology course in med school. I don't know what all was involved -- he didn't really want to talk about it.

I'm not sure what they do now. It had been something of a controversy at the school. His year was the first to allow a different option but no one felt they could really take it without being looked on as not "team players". I wonder if it is still part of the course.

Comment

Dogs are used in research all the time, I don't have a problem with that. DH showed me some beagles someone had done skull research on, the pictures looked so sad. The dogs were not hurt, just wore different shaped helmets from birth to see how their heads would shape.

Anyway, I have no problem with research on animals, really the only alternative is people - but the fact that this moron didn't have permission KILLS me. THAT is why they have oversight boards, what an idiot.

Comment

I think the issue for some people at the medical school was that there were other ways to teach this lab that didn't involve killing the dogs. Did other people's spouses do this? Part of the anti-dog lab arguement was that other med schools had given it up.

Anyway, research is one thing a sales demonstration another. AND the permission issue.

Comment

DH didn't use animals in college or medical school, only cadavers. We used pigs and cats in high school biology, I don't think I could bring myself to dissect a dog.

Comment

They did stuff to the dog while it was alive and then euthenized it (I think the lab procedures killed the dog by the end of it).

Comment

Working...
                              X