Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Going to Denver and Estes Park at the end of the month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Denver and Estes Park at the end of the month

So this is the only interview I'm going to with DH. What should I not miss while we are there? We are taking 5 nights to do both Denver and Estes Park, so we have some time to enjoy ourselves, and pat each other that we made it through the interview season alive, and still talking Any suggestions, oh we will be kidless too, so the fun has no curfew LOL

Oh and we are totally snowshoeing in Estes Park, LOL I'll probably pull some muscle I didn't know existed!

Have fun!

What types of things do you like to do and where are you staying? You can PM me if you want. It's been a few years since I lived there but I could probably think of a few things.

I did contract work for the city of Estes Park and was there quite a bit. I can't remember what restaurants I liked. As far as other things to do there, definitely try to do some hiking if there are trails open. Maybe rent snowshoes? Most people visiting the park don't go beyond the parking lots. Do that and you might have some spots all to yourselves.

ETA: oops -- I missed that you were planning to snowshoe. That is a great idea!

Here is a link to 3 Perfect Days in Denver:
    http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/thre ... denver.htm

Of the places mentioned there, I think Larimer Square and Lodo would be fun. If you like to browse bookstores, the LoDo (or Colfax for something more interesting) Tattered Cover is great (http://www.tatteredcover.com). Wynkoop Brewery is nearby. Also in the Wynkoop building is Comedy Sports -- http://www.impulsetheater.com/impulse.html.

You can probably get whatever gear you need in Estes but the downtown REI store is fun to poke around in. I think there are some places to go around there as well. There might be an Ink coffee there? I think?? I love their Mochas.

Would you be interested in a couples massage? For something different:
    http://www.izbaspa.com/nav.htm

Comment

We will probably stay downtown in Denver, close to Denver Health. Then we rented a cabin in Estes Park, on Giant Track Rd, sappose to be close to the town.

We are very outdoors oriented. Like ethnic nood - A LOT, oh and good pasta Um,, I'm hitting a wall, really I like to see an area every thinks is "the" place to see especially in Denver

Comment

Ooh, have fun snowshoeing - DH I went for the first time in Vail about three years ago and are hooked! It was gorgeous, you could enjoy the snow and the views without dealing with the rush of the ski lifts, plus I'm not a very good skiier.

Its been too long since I lived in Denver to offer suggestions but its a great city, have fun!
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

This is driving me crazy because I know where things are but feel a little short on the details to describe.

Ethnic food? I really miss New Saigon on Federal (great Vietnamese food). I'm hesitant to recommend restaurants b/c I don't know if they are still good. Jack and Grill (New Mexican) was a favorite place but they have expanded and might have gotten bigger than they can handle -- also on Federal but in the opposite direction. (Both of those neighborhoods can have some sketch areas).

My favorite Sushi place is Sushi Den (on South Pearl). Not cheap, totally worth it.

Highlands neighborhood (W 32nd, off of Speer) has some nice restaurants and cute shops.

Outdoors and in town -- walk or bike along the Platte River (haha, not really a river but a big stream now that I live here). The paved trail runs right by the REI I mentioned above.

Washington Park is always popular -- you can walk, run, or bike around the outer perimeter. Or X-country ski if there is another blizard! South Gaylord is near the...south?...side of the park and has some restaurants and shops as well (Devils Food bakery, coffee shop I can't remember name of).

Cheeseman Park is also nice. We lived not too far from there and that was part of my usual "loop." It's smaller though and probably more enjoyable in the summer with the Denver Botanic Gardens backing one side of the park. I just walked and ran there, I guess, there isn't a whole lot else to do right there.

The Denver Art Museum had some expansions and new collections and such before we left. That might be worth checking out.

Staying downtown is a good idea. You'll be close to DG that way. Oh -- the path along the Platte goes right by there as well. It would be a long walk to Cherry Creek North. Cucina Colore (3rd and St. Paul?) has good Italian food. But I don't like Cherry Creek as much as I used to -- too corporate and the smaller independent owned businesses have been chased out by high rent.

Comment

I, too, am hesitant to recommend restaurants as it has been 4 years since we have been there. But I will give you the places I loved and would still go to if we are ever in Denver again. Also, my parents love good food, and even though they have moved they still go back to Denver to have good cuisine. (They live in UT where they swear people there have no taste buds.)

My favorite Chinese- Peter's Chinese- dinky hole in the wall place, it is off of 12th and Elizabeth not to far from Cheeseman Park. I have yet to find good Chinese in my new area. At least in Seattle it was abundant.

If you like good German food- my dad grew up on the stuff. Anyway there is a good German restaurant called Helga's at 6th and Peoria in Aurora. There is another great place called the Copper Dale Inn, another great German place, but it is in Golden, CO which is about an hour or so south of Estes Park.

If you are looking for a really nice place- Briarwood Inn in Golden, CO.

For the BEST Ice Cream- Bonnie Brae 740 S University. They make their ice cream fresh daily, and I can still smell the smell that you experience going into the place. Oh how I wish Bonnie Brae was in my area. It's no wonder I gained 50 lbs during my pregnancy with Emma.

Decent Thai- Swing Thai at Colorado Blvd and 8th Ave. There is also a good pizza place next to it- can't remember the name of it. Another good pizza place- Anthony's Pizza. The department I worked for always ordered pizza from there, so good. If you are ever out towards Idaho City (about 1 hr. south of Estes Park) Beau Jo's Pizza is really good too. I know there is one in Highlands Ranch, but heard that one in Denver also opened up.

AWESOME, AFFORDABLE and authentic French- Le Central. I miss that place so much. It is off of 8th and Lincoln, downtown. I highly recommend it.

Good Cajun- Bayou Bob's downtown 1635 Glenarm. They make it nice and spicy.

Le Peep is a Denver institution and a great place for a delicious breakfast. I love their skillets. Another good place for breakfast- Mimi's Cafe-- I love their Stuffed French Toast.

When I was going to school downtown- I would go to The Market-- near Larimer square on 14th- awesome sandwiches, and other foods made fresh daily. I don't drink coffee, but they made the best steamed milk and caramel ever.

Good Brazilian- Rodizio's (on Wynkoop). All you can eat meat, and their buffet is authentic Brazilian dishes, (I never did get the gumption to try the marinated quail eggs)

another place we have eaten at- don't know if they are still good-
            Carmine's on Penn (92 S. Pennsylvania).

If you want Mexican, good authentic (not TexMex). I can ask my parents. I know of some good hole in the wall places, but they are delicious- I just can't remember the name of them.

Hope this helps!

(BTW I am jealous that you get to go to Denver, there have been some things- like the really good homemade ice cream, that I have been craving that I just can't get here)
            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I loved Peter's Chinese! Another good place is Sunny China Cafe. It's near the old Gates rubber plant. Not a destination at all but great food.

I can't remember the pizza place next to Swing Thai either. Oh yeah, Keno's or something? It might have closed and that is where Heidi's deli moved in.

Le Central is good. My mom took a class there recently and enjoyed it. The restaurant is just a few blocks from the hospital.

Crystal -- I thought that Carmine's slipped in the years before we moved. We used to take out New Year's Eve dinner from there. If you go, make a reservation. Portions are huge and meant to be shared.

I love Bonnie Brae icecream. Bonnie Brae Tavern across the street used to have good pizza but it has been quite a while since I've been there.

I remembered another -- Racine's. We used to go there for breakfast all the time. That is at 7th and Bannock, also close to the hospital.

Comment

Thanks that's great! I'm writing this down, and checking stuff online! Can't wait for us to go!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake
                  I loved Peter's Chinese! Another good place is Sunny China Cafe. It's near the old Gates rubber plant. Not a destination at all but great food.

I can't remember the pizza place next to Swing Thai either. Oh yeah, Keno's or something? It might have closed and that is where Heidi's deli moved in.

Le Central is good. My mom took a class there recently and enjoyed it. The restaurant is just a few blocks from the hospital.

Crystal -- I thought that Carmine's slipped in the years before we moved. We used to take out New Year's Eve dinner from there. If you go, make a reservation. Portions are huge and meant to be shared.

I love Bonnie Brae icecream. Bonnie Brae Tavern across the street used to have good pizza but it has been quite a while since I've been there.

I remembered another -- Racine's. We used to go there for breakfast all the time. That is at 7th and Bannock, also close to the hospital.
                  We ate at Carmine's once before we had Emma, so during intern year. I remember the huge portions.
                  Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

I think it was still pretty good during intern year. Maybe they have turned it around again.

You're making me miss some of my favorite places! For vegetarian food, Watercourse is (was?) very good -- near downtown and the hospital on 13th, a few blocks east of Broadway. El Noa Noa has good Mexican food and just a bit west of downtown near 6th and Santa Fe. Just down the street from there is Taco de Mexico which is more of a taco stand place (better for lunch).

I just thought of something else -- tour the Coors Brewery in Golden! It's free!
                    http://www.coors.com/about_tour.asp

And then drive over Lariat Trail or spend some time in downtown Golden. Buffalo Bill's grave is somewhere around there. I don't think I've ever been there. DH grew up by there. I just asked him about it. He said it is great if you like looking at slabs of concrete. So maybe not. But the views would be nice. Hey, they have a website:
                    http://www.buffalobill.org/

Another place to hike around outside of Golden is Red Rocks park (beginning and end point of an Amazing Race, in a U2 video -- cool spot).

Comment

I think it was still pretty good during intern year. Maybe they have turned it around again.

You're making me miss some of my favorite places! For vegetarian food, Watercourse is (was?) very good -- near downtown and the hospital on 13th, a few blocks east of Broadway. El Noa Noa has good Mexican food and just a bit west of downtown near 6th and Santa Fe. Just down the street from there is Taco de Mexico which is more of a taco stand place (better for lunch).

I just thought of something else -- tour the Coors Brewery in Golden! It's free!
                      http://www.coors.com/about_tour.asp

And then drive over Lariat Trail or spend some time in downtown Golden. Buffalo Bill's grave is somewhere around there. I don't think I've ever been there. DH grew up by there. I just asked him about it. He said it is great if you like looking at slabs of concrete. So maybe not. But the views would be nice. Hey, they have a website:
                      http://www.buffalobill.org/

Another place to hike around outside of Golden is Red Rocks park (beginning and end point of an Amazing Race, in a U2 video -- cool spot).
                      Another great spot I just remembered- The Chart House in Genesee, it is just off of I-70. The restaurant has amazing views of Denver. Plus the drive up there, there is an overpass that has no middle suspension and consider some architechtual wonder and has a great view of Mt. Evans.

Lookout Mountain/Point (or Make-out as it was called in high school) has a nice view of the city and nice little area to walk around.

I second, Red Rocks- nice place to go hiking. Some of our favorite hiking spots are down in the Springs (Colorado Springs)- Garden of the Gods.

Rocky Mountain National Park has some nice hiking spots, and really cool mountain highways (I think they boast the highest highway in the nation, but if memory serves me right it is closed down in the winter time). Dh hiked Mt. Bierstadt during medical school and said that was a hard but awesome hike.

Cheap skiing- (I guess I am recommending this to anyone who lives there), I don't know if you will have time to hit the slopes, but Ski Cooper which is not to far from Copper Mountain, has decent slopes for a phenomenal price. We were able to get $20 lift tickets when we were there, now prices could have gone up since the last time we were there. We liked it because smaller crowds, thus you could do more runs, and the snow was the same, plus it was half the price of Copper Mountain.

Other stuff in Denver to do- I don't know if it is still open I remember it having some financial snafu when we were moving- Ocean Journey was pretty cool. Also if you have kids- The Children's Museum is supposed to be nice. We really liked the Zoo and The Natural History Museum.

Man, you making me sick for Denver. (There is a job in Brighton that we just found out about, and maybe I will have to get dh to inquire about it now).

Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Did you ever eat at Annie's on 8th and Colorado?

Speaking of Breakfast- another fun spot- Gunther Toody's. It's a 50s style diner, and all the waitresses have truck stop names like Looloo or Buffy, Madge, etc, and they dress the part in the 50s style outfits, and bright red lipstick. Good food too!

Ahhh it's making me crave stuff I can't get!
                        Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

We went to Annie's all the time -- it was in easy walking distance.

Plus the drive up there, there is an overpass that has no middle suspension and consider some architechtual wonder and has a great view of Mt. Evans.

Get out! I didn't know that. I used to go over that overpass everyday on the school bus. I think I took the view for granted.

Chart House is a great idea for dessert in the evening (prices are too high for the food, IMO). The view is very nice. And the flying saucer/clamshell house (in a Woody Allen movie "The Sleeper") is close by. Keep an eye out for that.

Trail Ridge Rd in Rocky Mntn Nat'l Park will be closed. Just a warning I can't help but include -- check in with the ranger station before you snowshoe and inquire about avalanche safety along the trails you are considering.

Comment

Have fun!
                            Needs

Comment

Working...
                            X