Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

fiction vs non-fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiction vs non-fiction

With the recent topic on good books to read, I wondered if there's anyone else out there like me. I pretty much don't read fiction any more. In the rare cases when I do, I definitely wouldn't ever read a novel twice. Possibly I got a little burned out on fiction back in uni and at work (teaching languages!)

However, I've usually got at least half a dozen non-fiction books on the go at any one time. (OK, judging by my side of the bed, about ten!) It seems to me there is so much to know and learn about the world and ourselves that I don't want to waste any time on reading about things that didn't happen and aren't true, and on analysing people who don't exist. I prefer the practical and helpful. And when it comes to reading novels twice - that seems doubly pointless, as I already know what's going to happen! The same goes for movies - I really only like the ones that are "different", that teach me something new about the world or a better way to look at things. Likewise, I never buy DVD movies, because I can't really see the point in watching one again when you already know the storyline!

I wonder, is this something of which I should be ashamed? It seems even more embarrassing to admit that I have a Masters in Applied Linguistics! Maybe I'm just too shallow and impatient...

Re: fiction vs non-fiction

Originally posted by tenshi
    It seems to me there is so much to know and learn about the world and ourselves that I don't want to waste any time on reading about things that didn't happen and aren't true, and on analysing people who don't exist.
    Oh, just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it isn't true. And definitely doesn't mean that we can't learn about the world and ourselves from it. I believe good fiction is even better at that than nonfiction.

I wonder, is this something of which I should be ashamed? It seems even more embarrassing to admit that I have a Masters in Applied Linguistics! Maybe I'm just too shallow and impatient...
    Nah, I don't think so. Everyone has to make choices in their reading and I don't thing there's anything wrong with focusing on nonfiction. Just don't knock fiction--it has its place too.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Whoops - I'd better add that all I've said is purely my personal stuff. I would never knock fiction or the people who are reading it!

I realise that there is a lot to learn from good fiction; I used to teach high school English and drum this message into my students! I guess maybe as my reading time is at a premium these days, I'm just trying to speed through as much as I can...

Comment

I pretty much only read non-fiction. I've maybe read a total of 5-6 fiction books since graduating from college. I just can't seem to get into fiction--on the other hand, non-fiction really interests me. The main genres I read are sociology, psychology, anthropology, travel narratives, science, health, history, current events, self-help, personal growth and reference. Right now I'm reading "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron and an overview of the psychology profession. Both are very interesting. I also highly recommend "The Know-It All"--a non-fiction book about a guy's decision to read the Encyclopedia Brittanica for a year and write about his experiences. I also love that type of book--not sure what you would call it, but it's similar to "Julie and Julia" which I also loved. I have a personal reading list that I enjoy updating.

I would love to find a non-fiction book club--but so far I haven't found any.

Comment

OMG, ROBYN-

Thank you.

I hate re-runs, I hate seeing even SECTIONS of movies that I've already seen. I basically start tapping my foot- "OK, Harrison Ford breaks his neck pushes the bad guy out of the plane and saves the day. and the other secret service agent is a bad guy- remember now? OK turn the channel."

I still enjoy the occasional mystery but even then I usually cheat and read the last chapter.

I've been reading history and some poiltical stuff recently.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by tenshi
            Whoops - I'd better add that all I've said is purely my personal stuff. I would never knock fiction or the people who are reading it!
            Yeah I didn't mean to sound so defensive. It's okay.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I like non-fictions too. I read fiction when there is a good story that has caught my attention but I like reading biographies.

As for re-runs, DH likes to watch the SAME movies Over and OVER, it drives me nuts. How many times can you watch James Bond.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

There are just a few movies and books I can watch or read again. There is too much other good stuff out there!

I go through phases and right now I am in a non-fiction phase. I'm missing out on absorbing as much of it but find it easier to follow or pick up after a while with having a young baby. I am currently reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "The Tipping Point". I have the Julia Child biography on hold at the library and I don't think I'll get through the other two in time. I have the Julie and Julia on hold as well.

Rachel -- my book group does both fiction and non-fiction. I like having the option of both when picking out books.

Comment

It's taken me many years to get back into fiction/literature. I got really burnt out on it due to majoring in english lit in college and wasn't able to read any fiction for many years. Just recently I started reading fiction again and am enjoying it a lot. I also read some non-fiction. Dh is a non-fiction nut and feels that fiction is a waste unless you're reading it in another language, hence working on learning a language. Can you say nerd?

I think there is value in both fiction and non-fiction.
                  Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I really love a good non-fiction book - especially a memoir or biography. But I also truly love good fiction. I suppose if I had to pick one I'd go w/NF, but I find that the truly good ones are few and far between.

I will re-read (or re-watch movies) if I love something. Many, many times.

Comment

I am head over heels in love with good fiction. I love the classics like The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird and I love the often-unnoticed intricacies of Faulkner and Hemingway and I also love the new fiction that will make me laugh out loud (Sedaris, Burrows, etc), think about things I would have otherwise not (Robbins, Wolfe), and cry (Chang Rae Lee.)

This is not to say that I don't enjoy some non-fiction books, but overall I find them bland. I prefer to read to appreciate the art of the words and the elements of style, not just to obtain some information. I like etiquette books and I'm currently reading a dog personality/behavior book, but that's about where it ends. In the end, I've learned more lessons from fiction than from non-fiction.

I think that literature is a love affair and we are not all meant to have the same soulmates. Not everyone will love passionately, either, and that's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada
                        I love reading fiction. Sometimes it's just nice to slip out of my world and into someone else's.

It seems to me there is so much to know and learn about the world and ourselves that I don't want to waste any time on reading about things that didn't happen and aren't true, and on analysing people who don't exist.
                        I also really do feel like I have learned alot about the world through fiction. For instance, I have read several historical novels which have given me a glimpse into different time periods.
                        That's exactly how I feel. I also read fiction to escape into another world. I've read non-fiction as well but I've never been as drawn by it.

Comment

I read probably half and half.

For my non-fiction, I go to science writing usually - and then I find a topic and read about it for a couple months - evolutionary theory led to evolutionary psychology led to game theory led to critical thinking/skepticism led to belief theory led to consciousness theory (which is where I am now, although I will probably have to jump into some boring cellular technology treatise shortly)
                          - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

I cant imagine life without good fiction. I totally agree with the others who have said that is good to step into someone else's life for a while. And there is so much to learn from fiction on people and relationships, different societies, different times and places. I love books that you keep thinking about afterwards.
                            For non-fiction I'll go for biographies or travel diaries, or similar. For me there is no difference whether the stories are about real people or not. They are real in my head.
                            At this point in my life I could not imagine curling up with a book on science or religion, even though I would find these subjects interesting. But I could see myself doing that if I was not already overusing my brain at work.

Comment

Working...
                            X